ZF Lifeguard 8 VOA

Ran this VOA a while back to get a baseline for when I did the fluid change in my Wrangler. Have to say this ZF fluid has a strong smell that is not that pleasing :)

Enjoy!

jo8fEl.png

Thank you, perhaps Mola will chime in to discuss how this is different (if at all) from other fluids. ZF fluid is always a hot topic!

Reactions: JTK
Ran this VOA a while back to get a baseline for when I did the fluid change in my Wrangler. Have to say this ZF fluid has a strong smell that is not that pleasing :)

Enjoy!

jo8fEl.png
Thx for this!

Appears somewhat similar to maxlife. Maxlife has approx half the calcium and almost double the boron. Phosphorus looks the same. I am confident with my choice going with Maxlife for ZF8 and ZF9 applications.

same.

Reactions: JTK
Very cool! Thanks for taking the time and spending the $$.

I've seen ZF8 fluid and Maxlife ATF VOA's compared in the past, but it's been some time.

Maxlife ATF has a smell that lingers as well.

Well...it is mint green 🤣
The darn ATF color thing. I still get hung up on that!

If I was under warranty, I'd rather not have a red ATF like Maxlife in my ZF8. You know darn well that's going to be the 'problem' should there be a transmission related issue, weather it is or not. The story is going to end there.

Beyond warranty? Any color you want.

I will be using Maxlife in my 2019 Ram 1500 classic's ZF8 in a few months, once I'm beyond 60K miles.

The darn ATF color thing. I still get hung up on that!

If I was under warranty, I'd rather not have a red ATF like Maxlife in my ZF8. You know darn well that's going to be the 'problem' should there be a transmission related issue, weather it is or not. The story is going to end there.

Beyond warranty? Any color you want.

I will be using Maxlife in my 2019 Ram 1500 classic's ZF8 in a few months, once I'm beyond 60K miles.
For me, I do not see the advantage of using a "one size fits all" fluid that is not approved by ZF for use in their transmissions versus the actual approved fluid. Given the infrequent OCI on a transmission, it just does not seem worth it.

For me, I do not see the advantage of using a "one size fits all" fluid that is not approved by ZF for use in their transmissions versus the actual approved fluid. Given the infrequent OCI on a transmission, it just does not seem worth it.

I've used Maxlife ATF in so many "suitable for use" applications at this point that I personally have no hesitation in using it in my ZF8.

I do understand where you are coming from though.

I've used Maxlife ATF in so many "suitable for use" applications at this point that I personally have no hesitation in using it in my ZF8.

I do understand where you are coming from though.
Given the cost of a ZF transmission, it makes little sense to use unapproved fluids (obviously, all free to do as they see fit).

What is the advantage of Maxlife over Lifeguard? It must be something substantial and tangible to gamble with the cost of a potential issue with the transmission.

Given the cost of a ZF transmission, it makes little sense to use unapproved fluids (obviously, all free to do as they see fit).

What is the advantage of Maxlife over Lifeguard? It must be something substantial and tangible to gamble with the cost of a potential issue with the transmission.
The advantage is when you do a 3x D&F at 100K miles on a ZF9 for a total of 12 quarts. @ a 1X change does minimal removal of impurities.

With maxlife you can D&F every 15K and not spend a fortune. IMO clean fluid is better.

The advantage is when you do a 3x D&F at 100K miles on a ZF9 for a total of 12 quarts. @ a 1X change does minimal removal of impurities.

With maxlife you can D&F every 15K and not spend a fortune. IMO clean fluid is better.
So only a cost advantage--no other advantage and you have to add on the risk of the fluid being incompatible and potentially causing an issue. For something that costs so little--it is totally not worth it for me. It will cost less than $500 to drain my ZF8 three times starting at 50K and that includes using the approved ZF Lifeguard 8 fluid, changing the filter each time, and the pan gasket once.

So only a cost advantage--no other advantage and you have to add on the risk of the fluid being incompatible and potentially causing an issue. For something that costs so little--it is totally not worth it for me. It will cost less than $500 to drain my ZF8 three times starting at 50K and that includes using the approved ZF Lifeguard 8 fluid, changing the filter each time, and the pan gasket once.
Cost is the icing on the cake, I am believer that Maxlife is better or equal to OEM fluids.

Based on what? I use Valvoline products, but I have seen nothing that proves Maxlife is better than approved OEM transmission

Show me a ZF or Mopar document that states that it is approved for use in ZF transmissions...
Why would ZF approve other fluids? By not approving other fluids the corner the market.

ZF8/9 is identical to Honda 3.1,.fluid but Honda say only use 3.1, ZF says only use ZF and Acura which is Honda say only use Acura 9 speed fluid no mention of Honda 3.1 So technically you are correct there is no document that approves other fluids.

That Maxlife stuff is pure crap in ZF boxes. It ruined my father’s uncle’s dog’s ZF8HP 😡

Back