ZF 9 speed in a Acura

I changed the fluid on this transmission as part of regular maintenance. After any trans fluid change I like to reset the TCM with using a bi-directional scanner.

The process was a little different for this vehicle. It wanted the fluid temp to between 85-135F and wanted you to engage the parking brake, hold the brakes, put in D, and wait 5-10 minutes as the process completes. Will doing this I realized the AC was on so I turned the AC off this caused the idle to change slightly and the learn function to stop and the car jump out to gear into N.

This is a drive by wire transmission. The car would then only go into P and N and no other gears. I turned the car off and started again, I scanned for any error codes and None were displayed. I could not reset the TCM again because the car had to be in D. After a couple minuted I decided to disconnect the battery.

It took unhooking the battery to reset everything back to normal but that sure was a unsettling feeling and made me wish for a cable driven shifter.

Moral is, make sure everything is off before you start and do not touch anything when a learn process is in progress.

Wow! Glad you got the fluid changed and the issue sorted w/ a battery unplug.

That's interesting about the P or N only fault mode. I know there is no mechanical way to get the shift by wire 9spd in my 2022 Nissan Frontier in neutral should problems arise, so perhaps it would do the same thing as this ZF. The Frontier's 9spd is a Mercedes Benz G9 that Jatco is licensed to build. These have a pretty interesting drain/fill/level check procedure as well. Plastic pan w/ integrated filters like most of them today.

I changed the fluid on this transmission as part of regular maintenance. After any trans fluid change I like to reset the TCM with using a bi-directional scanner.

The process was a little different for this vehicle. It wanted the fluid temp to between 85-135F and wanted you to engage the parking brake, hold the brakes, put in D, and wait 5-10 minutes as the process completes. Will doing this I realized the AC was on so I turned the AC off this caused the idle to change slightly and the learn function to stop and the car jump out to gear into N.

This is a drive by wire transmission. The car would then only go into P and N and no other gears. I turned the car off and started again, I scanned for any error codes and None were displayed. I could not reset the TCM again because the car had to be in D. After a couple minuted I decided to disconnect the battery.

It took unhooking the battery to reset everything back to normal but that sure was a unsettling feeling and made me wish for a cable driven shifter.

Moral is, make sure everything is off before you start and do not touch anything when a learn process is in progress.
Do not reset the TCM on ZF 8/9 speed units for this purpose. I'm not sure how Honda's has their software setup, but I know for BMW, resetting the adaptations will require an immediate follow-up with the Quick Learn guided function to relearn the clutch adaptations. Depending on how worn the clutches are, it has been documented that some ZF units will not complete the relearn successfully and the unit may need to be overhauled.

Just don't touch it.

Do not reset the TCM on ZF 8/9 speed units for this purpose. I'm not sure how Honda's has their software setup, but I know for BMW, resetting the adaptations will require an immediate follow-up with the Quick Learn guided function to relearn the clutch adaptations. Depending on how worn the clutches are, it has been documented that some ZF units will not complete the relearn successfully and the unit may need to be overhauled.

Just don't touch it.

I was going to reply pretty much exactly this, and saw that The Critic already said it. BMW/ZF specifically and categorically state NOT to 'reset adaptations' (lingo used on German cars) for a fluid change. If you replace internal hard parts only would you reset. Over its lifetime the TCU adapts to clutch and brake wear through these adaptations. In extreme cases of normal-but-long wear an unneeded adaptations reset could result in the vehicle being unable to move.

Now, if a Honda workshop manual says to reset it, then by all means...

Wow! Glad you got the fluid changed and the issue sorted w/ a battery unplug.

That's interesting about the P or N only fault mode. I know there is no mechanical way to get the shift by wire 9spd in my 2022 Nissan Frontier in neutral should problems arise, so perhaps it would do the same thing as this ZF. The Frontier's 9spd is a Mercedes Benz G9 that Jatco is licensed to build. These have a pretty interesting drain/fill/level check procedure as well. Plastic pan w/ integrated filters like most of them today.
My Honda Pilot with the ZF9 allows the transmission to be put into N by turning a "shaft" on top of the transmission case with a tool. Works on many of the Honda models with the ZF9. Used to be able to buy the Honda tool for under $50.00 on eBay but now it is over $200.00! Word got out that you need it in case you needed to go into N and you couldn't. There are ways around not using that tool. Post #39 here has a video showing how to do it.

My Honda Pilot with the ZF9 allows the transmission to be put into N by turning a "shaft" on top of the transmission case with a tool. Works on many of the Honda models with the ZF9. Used to be able to buy the Honda tool for under $50.00 on eBay but now it is over $200.00! Word got out that you need it in case you needed to go into N and you couldn't. There are ways around not using that tool. Post #39 here has a video showing how to do it.

That's good to hear there's options. I know the ZF8s in the Ram 1500's I owned had a finger loop/cord you pulled to force them in neutral. It was located in the interior fuse box panel. There is absolutely nothing on the MB 9G tronic. I assume you're dragging it in the event of total power and/or computer loss. Best case getting the drive wheels up on dollies.

I built one of those for moving the car around. Fairly straight forward and leave it in the car eight the tire change tools.

These are to get the car in neutral, the problem I was having was the car would only got into P or N and not into gear.

Just don't touch it.
Good to know. I am not that familiar with these ZF boxes.

Pretty sure I have the same ZF9 in my 2019 Cherokee. The Haynes fluid change procedure has none of the relearn steps you talk about. Or is something missing from this video?

Back