Zero turn experiences?

When I bought my X350 I caught heat for not getting a Zero Turn. My mower goes 5.5 mph with a short turning radius. I don't have to hit reverse switch to reverse cut. I have lots of obstacles and a ditch to cut. Would not trade it for a Zero Turn. AC guys were watching me cut and even commented where did you get a mower that moves and cuts like that. I even offered several people who had Zero Turn to come and cut and we would compare but no takers. I have stuck my mower a couple of times with once my daughter brought her boyfriend to help which he brought his Zero Turn and didn't make it far.

I had a MTD rider that had 4 wheel steering once. It was typical MTD quality of the day. Motor OK but the steering wore out premature.

When I bought my X350 I caught heat for not getting a Zero Turn. My mower goes 5.5 mph with a short turning radius. I don't have to hit reverse switch to reverse cut. I have lots of obstacles and a ditch to cut. Would not trade it for a Zero Turn. AC guys were watching me cut and even commented where did you get a mower that moves and cuts like that. I even offered several people who had Zero Turn to come and cut and we would compare but no takers. I have stuck my mower a couple of times with once my daughter brought her boyfriend to help which he brought his Zero Turn and didn't make it far.
The John Deere X series riding tractors are really nice. My neighbor has one with the 4-wheel steer. For speed and obstacles a zero-turn wins, but if you need to do anything besides mow (pull a cart, snow removal, etc) there is no replacement for a really nice garden tractor. I have a 48" Exmark Viking hydro walk-behind with a stand-on sulky, and it pretty much cut my mowing time in half over my 54" John Deere garden tractor, but I have a lot of obstacles to mow around with gardens, fruit trees, and a patio. I have a Kubota tractor with a loader for the other yard chores, otherwise a garden tractor would still be needed.

Those who complain about zero turns tearing up the grass when turning need to use a 3 point turn. I make an initial cut around the perimeter of my lawn, which gives me a space to make the turn at the end of each row. I then make a 3 point turn to head the other direction. No wheel spin that digs up the grass.

Those who complain about zero turns tearing up the grass when turning need to use a 3 point turn. I make an initial cut around the perimeter of my lawn, which gives me a space to make the turn at the end of each row. I then make a 3 point turn to head the other direction. No wheel spin that digs up the grass.
I agree - just because you can doesn't mean that you should. And it also takes some finesse to balance the speeds of the inside and outside wheels as slowing too much or stopping the inside while turning is a surefire way to tear up turf. I generally slow the unit, then speed up the outside, instead of basically cutting power to the inside AND make a 3 point turn around small diameter trees

As for making an outside pass first, I also do that in places, but will also wait until all the turning is done and then go over the outside to "finish" the edges to hide where the grass was laid down by the wheels for a nice, consistent look in others.

The John Deere X series riding tractors are really nice. My neighbor has one with the 4-wheel steer. For speed and obstacles a zero-turn wins, but if you need to do anything besides mow (pull a cart, snow removal, etc) there is no replacement for a really nice garden tractor. I have a 48" Exmark Viking hydro walk-behind with a stand-on sulky, and it pretty much cut my mowing time in half over my 54" John Deere garden tractor, but I have a lot of obstacles to mow around with gardens, fruit trees, and a patio. I have a Kubota tractor with a loader for the other yard chores, otherwise a garden tractor would still be needed.
Can the X350 really be described as a lawn/garden "tractor"? I see small rear wheels with no lug nuts and thin stamped fenders that mimic cheap discount mowers I'd find at Lowes. Both my old New Holland and Craftsman have lug nuts on rear (and rim size that supports various tires other than turf, like AG/rib) and solid frame at the front and rear to support various attachments.

jhs914 said:

I don't think physics allows a true zero-turn in my yard without tearing grass up. Perhaps if I stopped completely and manipulated the controls just right. I find it quicker just to make a three point turn which I can do in a small fraction of the time it would take me on my old conventional rider (even my New Holland with hydro that didn't require a gear change). I also do a couple lines of perimeter mow, which aids in keeping my mower safely away from being on neighbors' property.

I just can't fathom how a conventional rider would outperform a zero turn for the sole function of mowing grass. Unless you mow in a pattern that puts you on top of uncut grass at all times with minimal 180's. The never ending square (starting from outside to inside) is the approach my teenage son uses to mow grass and it looks like crap compared to going back and forth in lines.

Can the X350 really be described as a lawn/garden "tractor"? I see small rear wheels with no lug nuts and thin stamped fenders that mimic cheap discount mowers I'd find at Lowes. Both my old New Holland and Craftsman have lug nuts on rear (and rim size that supports various tires other than turf, like AG/rib) and solid frame at the front and rear to support various attachments.

I don't think physics allows a true zero-turn in my yard without tearing grass up. Perhaps if I stopped completely and manipulated the controls just right. I find it quicker just to make a three point turn which I can do in a small fraction of the time it would take me on my old conventional rider (even my New Holland with hydro that didn't require a gear change). I also do a couple lines of perimeter mow, which aids in keeping my mower safely away from being on neighbors' property.

I just can't fathom how a conventional rider would outperform a zero turn for the sole function of mowing grass. Unless you mow in a pattern that puts you on top of uncut grass at all times with minimal 180's. The never ending square (starting from outside to inside) is the approach my teenage son uses to mow grass and it looks like crap compared to going back and forth in lines.
The X-series are higher-end lawn tractors and garden tractors. The X350 is probably more of a lawn tractor, it doesn't accept tillers and other ground engaging attachments, but it is a big step above the "lawn tractors" at home depot with better construction.

Lawn tractors are better than zero-turns on wet and/or hilly terrain. I mow a few hills, which is one reason I own an Exmark walk-behind over a ride on zero-turn. The ride on zero-turns I repair for customers are noticeably unstable and difficult to keep straight on the hills.

Back