Z06 has another embarassing moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm far from the target market tax bracket, but I would definitely not by one of these...how many catastrophic engine failures does that make? Any idea if Chevy will warranty an engine failure on the track?

For 80k - 100k, give me a Porsche...or two $40k-$50k vehicles. Or a fat chunk of change in by bank account and one nice vehicle whose engine won't explode.

Wonder if they remembered to drain the 5W30 and fill the car with 15W50 (per GM recommendation) before they tracked it?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Wonder if they remembered to drain the 5W30 and fill the car with 15W50 (per GM recommendation) before they tracked it?

Well if GM to recommends this might a well run Mobil 1 0W40 all the time just in case you want to push I a little harder.

Numerous engine failures, both C6 and C7 Corvette.
Car and Driver has had TWO cars grenade during testing...

Root cause was -
Cheap GM oil filter failed, letting debris into oil passages, clogging them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mattwithcats

Root cause was -

So you say. Please quote the source for this "information."

Last edited:
[censored] breaks when you race it.

At least a Chevy is cheaper to fix than a German car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SilverSnake

Root cause was -

Actually I have heard this from Car and Driver and a couple of other sources. Nothing really wrong with the engine design. And a very small number of failures considering the press cars are thrashed by dozens of idiots.

Hey, it's a good thing, as it's an easy fix...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Root cause was -

Actually I have heard this from Car and Driver and a couple of other sources. Nothing really wrong with the engine design. And a very small number of failures considering the press cars are thrashed by dozens of idiots.

Hey, it's a good thing, as it's an easy fix...

These cars are supposed to get a UPF48R or equivalent filter. I wonder how many got PF48s instead? It could be a very easy mistake for an oil changer to make.

AC Delco has the UPF48R under the Ultragard Gold line. It's painted black instead of blue. It's also NOT an e-core design.

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
Many jokes available here:

Fox News leaned too hard into the RIGHT turns!

Maybe so, but it is the LEFT turns that cause the damage due to oil starvation.
smile.gif

Root cause was -

It's well known and documented.

I wonder how many of these Corvette drivers/testers can drive this car anywhere near its limit and how many of these people purposely abuse the engine with the attitude that it's not mine or maybe they just don't know any better.

When an engine makes this much power it's easy to mess things up. I'll bet that most of these problems are driver induced. How many people just think they can handle a car like this?

At Willow race car driver Randy Pobst put in a lap time with the Corvette that no one could even approach and he never went over the rev limit. Several other drivers in the same car went over the rev limit and even hit the limiter and came no where near Randy's lap time. They also finished their lap times with the brakes and tires smoking hot and the engine on the verge of boiling over, something not ever seen at the finish of Randy's laps. Randy did not slide around and one passenger remarked that he could not believe how smooth and gentle Randy was with his inputs as they sailed around the track, flowing from one turn to another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back