YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
There are some extremely expensive Jeeps. The new Trackhawk is like 130 grand up here.

Didn't realize they got that expensive! not surprised though.

Posted in jest. I went to find the pic below but found that instead.

LOL! That's a good one!

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
I feel bad for anyone who buys a Jeep

Not a Jeep guy never have been, but I understand the attraction and why people like them.

Got to be the best comment in a thread because it comes from a guy driving the riveting 2.5 08 Accord. The 2.5 is an experience to behold, acceleration to rival my truck loaded for 5 days of camping towing my 32 foot trailer.
smile.gif

Sometimes, just sometimes I read something and have to be a D-bag. Today is one of those days.

Let me apologize in advance, but I couldn't let that one go.

Some of the new Jeeps are not pleasant on the eyes. Some are. What's their reliability? In the past they were never known to be very trouble free, if I remember correctly. I've always like the Wranglers and there's another new one, maybe the Cherokee, that I like the design of. I wouldn't be against one if I knew they were reasonably reliable. Can't be worse than Subaru needing head gaskets at 100k, right? LOL

Anyone know their major quirks?

Originally Posted By: HowAboutThis
Some of the new Jeeps are not pleasant on the eyes. Some are. What's their reliability? In the past they were never known to be very trouble free, if I remember correctly. I've always like the Wranglers and there's another new one, maybe the Cherokee, that I like the design of. I wouldn't be against one if I knew they were reasonably reliable. Can't be worse than Subaru needing head gaskets at 100k, right? LOL

Anyone know their major quirks?

Depends on the model. the GC has a wickedly reliable drivetrain for the most part, which it shares with the Durango. The Cherokee has its own drivetrain with the 9spd, which doesn't have the same track record. They all share the uConnect system, which is quite good.

In the past they were never known to be very trouble free, if I remember correctly.

You remember wrong. The Jeep 4.2/4.0L inline 6 is one of the most reliable engines ever built. The 2.5L 4 cylinder is the same minus 2 cylinders. Old Cherokees and Wranglers hold excellent resale value for their extremely good reputation of being reliable even into old age.

What they were not known for is gas mileage.

Originally Posted By: OilFilters
In the past they were never known to be very trouble free, if I remember correctly.

You remember wrong. The Jeep 4.2/4.0L inline 6 is one of the most reliable engines ever built. The 2.5L 4 cylinder is the same minus 2 cylinders. Old Cherokees and Wranglers hold excellent resale value for their extremely good reputation of being reliable even into old age.

Well, the 4.0L engine (not made by Jeep, is an AMC engine) is wonderfully reliable, it's the rest of the Jeep around it that's questionable...

Originally Posted By: ls1mike

Sometimes, just sometimes I read something and have to be a D-bag. Today is one of those days.

You've been slacking lately. Good to have you back, Mike.
grin.gif

Ed

I'm not necessarily disputing engine reliability. How about the million other parts? That's what I've heard about. It could just be all cars of the 80s and 90s were less reliable. But I don't remember Consumer Report rating them highly in the past 25 years or so.

I don't know (or care) about current models, but again, Cherokees and Wranglers from the 60s up through the 2000's have always been known for their overall reliability. They have never had a reputation of being unreliable. My 20 year old Cherokee with 191,000 miles is the most reliable vehicle I've ever had.

One of the reasons people like them is for their simplicity and easy maintenance with simple tools.

Also, the 4.0 might have been partially an AMC design, but they never made it. It came out in '87 when they were purchased by Chrysler.

Originally Posted By: edhackett

You've been slacking lately. Good to have you back, Mike.
grin.gif

Ed

Thanks Ed! I wondered where you have been. Camping at Sequim Bay a couple of time later in the Summer.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
I feel bad for anyone who buys a Jeep

Not a Jeep guy never have been, but I understand the attraction and why people like them.

Got to be the best comment in a thread because it comes from a guy driving the riveting 2.5 08 Accord. The 2.5 is an experience to behold, acceleration to rival my truck loaded for 5 days of camping towing my 32 foot trailer.
smile.gif

Couldn't have said it better myself.
RZs2aF0.gif

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I'd love a Wrangler. Found one locally that was perfect. Factory options, wheels, tires, everything.

$52k.

Woof.

Jeeps aren't cheap! The good thing about a Wrangler or GC is they hold their value. Lee knew what he was doing when he bought AMC.

... Also, the 4.0 might have been partially an AMC design, but they never made it. It came out in '87 when they were purchased by Chrysler.
Based heavily on an AMC design that came out in '64.

Originally Posted By: CR94
... Also, the 4.0 might have been partially an AMC design, but they never made it. It came out in '87 when they were purchased by Chrysler.
Based heavily on an AMC design that came out in '64.

The original (Renix) 4.0 x was when Renault and Bendix did a joint venture. I don't think Chrysler had anything to do with the initial design until they came out with the 4.0 high output. I could be wrong though.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I'd love a Wrangler. Found one locally that was perfect. Factory options, wheels, tires, everything. $52k. Woof.

If by "woof" you mean a ridiculous price then I'm there, too. Unbelievably expensive.

Reliable engines by themselves do not make a car reliable. I can think of a number of unreliable cars with a 318 V8 or a slant six.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back