YouTube Mechanics

I don't think I've ever been able to sit through an entire Car Wizard video, even with faster than 1X playback speed, it's still like he's thinking in slow motion.

That's not all bad when a mechanic is working on your vehicle but for a youtube video, not so much. Maybe he just needs some coffee and a better editor.

To add to those mentioned:
Super Mario diagnostics.
Advanced Level Auto
Automotive Diagnostics & Programming.
Automotive Test Solutions. Bernie Thomson is a genius when it comes to diag and scope usage.
Diagnose Dan.

I don't think I've ever been able to sit through an entire Car Wizard video, even with faster than 1X playback speed, it's still like he's thinking in slow motion.

That's not all bad when a mechanic is working on your vehicle but for a youtube video, not so much. Maybe he just needs some coffee and a better editor.
He rambles. And I find it a bit creepy that his wife (assumed) does an interior condition review. I don’t get the relevance. It is a customer car, right? Focus on the customer complaint.

Flat Rate Master
South Main Auto
Pine Hollow Diagnostics
The Car Care Nut
HumbleMechanic
I also like Flat Rate Master, I wish he would throw in a couple videos of some repairs he does as well.. I do enjoy his tool reviews and general shop talk.

I have liked WatchJRGO for a while, not the most in depth, but sometimes its just fun to watch a quick car flip...

He rambles. And I find it a bit creepy that his wife (assumed) does an interior condition review. I don’t get the relevance. It is a customer car, right? Focus on the customer complaint.
Yeah an interior condition review seems creepy. I've seen some mechanics state that if the owner takes better care of their vehicle, then they will take better care on the repair, which seems wrong to me, but also makes me think, "okay then on a repair where you don't take better care, do you charge less?". :)

I haven't watched the Car Wizard in ages, something just struck me wrong on how approaches a video. I can't stand dramatics. Haven't watched Hoovue either. And anything with a van or a vegan 😂

In my opinion, the basic incentive structure behind YouTube (with more clicks and views yielding greater monetization) isn't conducive to a proper education in car mechanics - or any other serious vocation. A controversial or entertaining figure will make more money, and those aren't the traits I'd prioritize in selecting a trustworthy mechanic. Competency and professionalism? Certainly, but a person possessing those qualities doesn't draw nearly as many eyeballs and twitchy fingers as a melodramatic or comedic character. Hence, I treat anything on YouTube as strictly entertainment.

In my opinion, the basic incentive structure behind YouTube (with more clicks and views yielding greater monetization) isn't conducive to a proper education in car mechanics - or any other serious vocation.
Well - actually the money is in sponsoring, affiliate links and product placement. The few cents you get from YT monetization for a thousand views is for the birds.

Personally I like Uncle Tony, since I only work on older engines - 30s to 60s.
David Vizard, who is hard to watch sometimes, but a tremendous well of wisdom https://www.youtube.com/@DavidVizard/videos
Charles Servedino, the godfather of porting https://www.youtube.com/@charlesservediocylinderhea8995/videos
Steve Tech Engine Builder https://www.youtube.com/@EngineBuilder/videos
First Responder Garage https://www.youtube.com/@firstrespondergarage/videos
Unity Motorsports Garage https://www.youtube.com/@UnityMotorSportsGarage/videos

Frank

I appreciate the guys at A-1 Auto. Good lighting, steady camera. I can’t stand hackers who hold the camera with one hand and try wrench with the other, or guys with jerky camera that flys all over the place. Also, likes for some of the others mentioned.

sadly because YouTube is a business it will inevitably turn into what vehicle cable shows turned into, one long advertisement. basically every segment is a plug for some product or service. you learn absolutely nothing.

I'm not sure he's still making videos, but Richpin up in Maine or thereabouts did a lot of nice videos, often about Saturns and vintage VWs as well as many other cars. Always well-filmed and with good lighting, and his voice is a dead-ringer for Peter Griffin from Family Guy!

Yeah and he likes to preach. Has his wife on there too..

sadly because YouTube is a business it will inevitably turn into what vehicle cable shows turned into, one long advertisement. basically every segment is a plug for some product or service. you learn absolutely nothing.
Like anything else, depends on the channel. I learned alot on Scanner Danner, Schrodingers(SP?), SMA and others

Reactions: wtd
Sometimes it's useful. I learned about the Eastwood on-vehicle brake flaring tool on an EricTheCarGuy video and it does come in handy, and works much better than the typical butterfly knife style... though it's now almost doubled in price!

Mostly what I object to are those !@#$ solar panel ads at the start of many, gotta block those.

Reactions: wlk
I appreciate the guys at A-1 Auto. Good lighting, steady camera. I can’t stand hackers who hold the camera with one hand and try wrench with the other, or guys with jerky camera that flys all over the place. Also, likes for some of the others mentioned.
Yea, my only gripe is they always seems to convientely leave out an explanation of the more difficult aspect of some jobs.

Case in point, their spark plug change video on the chevy 5.3L leaves out coverage of the number 8 plug.

- Car Wizard
- South Main Auto
- Rainman Ray's Repairs
- Uncle Tony's
- Pierre Hedary (Mercedes content)

Back