Your opinion...Oil Change, then Blown Main Seal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder what some folks might think:

Short:
Chain store changed oil in car. 50 miles later main seal dropping oil like a sieve. What do you think?

Long:
Mother-in-law needed a car. I sign over my old trusty ’93 Accord 3 months ago. Last week it needed front brakes. Since it has about 160k, I imagined it was probably time for rotors & suggested instead of slipping in some new pads, take it to a shop for new rotors & pads. She lives about 75 miles away, and took it to a chain shop, NOT my mechanic of choice. I have also done all the oil changes on this car for at least the past 6 or 7 years with Champ filters and usually Havoline or Superflo 5w30. Sometimes Super Tech 5w30 to top-up.

They sell her an oil change during the brake service.

After the brakes & oil change are done, she picked up the car, went to work, & drove home. Next day, she drives to work. Half-way to work, the oil light came on. She barely makes it back to the shop, and now has NO oil in pan (I can hear a rod bearing knocking, but forego the idiot light on/keep driving lecture).

The shop dumps in 4 quarts, fires up the motor and oil is pouring out of the main seal! They sign her up for $400 to replace the main seal, but neglect to replace the oil-soaked drive belts. (Shop got real nervous when I showed up the next day asking friendly questions & wanting to see the problem? I wanted to see if while it was apart if anything else should be replaced) When she got home, she noticed about 1 qt of oil on the floor, she didn’t notice while backing out of the garage. (This shows the seal failed within 50 miles of the oil change, maybe less.)

When I gave her the car, I had the rear pads & rotors replaced by my mechanic, that I have favored for over 15 years. I looked over the entire car with one of the mechanics, to find no apparent leaks from the engine, AT, PS, AC or brakes.

THE BIG QUESTION:
Does anyone think something went wrong with the oil change to make the main seal go from NO leaks to flowing like Niagara Falls??? I have never seen a main seal have such catastrophic failure. I’ve seen leaks & fast leaks but not a pumping-out, puddle-after-10-seconds-of-running kind of leak.

Collapsed oil filter?

Too much oil?

Dry-start…then added oil?

Just time for the seal to go?

Did that accord have a recall on the main oil seal? I had a 96 accord that had a recall on the main oil seal and I beleive they are the same design. Not sure how widewpread the recall was but I remember reading in the recall material that in some cases the main seal would back out adn so they put in bracket or something to prevent the seal from backing out.

May not apply to your accord but may be an explanation. I doubt it was the oil change.

Thanks.

I’ll look into the recall, but at this age/mileage I doubt the manf. will be any help.

The seal backing out would explain the sudden failure/oil loss. I have never seen anything like it!

There was a recall for the balance shaft seals for 94-97 Accords, but can be used on the 90-93s as well. Basically, the seal (which is located behind the timing belt cover) would pop out and dump oil out within seconds. The recall installed a retainer to keep the seal from popping out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back