Your mission, should you choose to accept it…

Wow what a gem. One of the best cars ever made.

It’s like a German crown vic.
I might be missing something… Its a BMW V8, I thought those had issues? I’m probably thinking of a different engine, I do not follow BMW at all (too many makers to up with).

Whats the German version of a Camry, for lol’s.

Iy you need a little more room, maybe an Avalon if you can find the right deal. Looong runners.
These are great used cars as the people that buy them want the presumed reliability of new, and have the money to keep them maintained. They'll trade them when a license plate light blows, because "that's how it starts."

I might be missing something… Its a BMW V8, I thought those had issues? I’m probably thinking of a different engine, I do not follow BMW at all (too many makers to up with).

Whats the German version of a Camry, for lol’s.
You're thinking of a different engine.

The German version of a Camry would depend on the generation but when I think of a boring beige German car the W210 always comes to mind.

I believe this would be a m62TUb44 this should not have the problematic Nikasil cylinder coating.

Part prices will not be for the faint of heart.

Part Number12-31-7-508-054
  • MSRP$1,120.30USD
  • Core Charge $211.75USD
  • Our Price$953.37USD
even aftermarket junk is up there.

It's a 150A water-cooled alternator.

The same type of part will be expensive no what make it's installed into.

Would you believe that they're not often replaced? Like, almost never?
Yeah I would.

You asked for an example.

I didn't say it was a bad car, in fact I sorta like it, Until recently I was even a card carrying CCA member ... but parts aren't cheap or as readily available as for something more common like an accord, the TSX is probably in this category too for anything that doesn't fit a Honda. Im suffering this with the RL as well - so low production you're basically out of luck on some stuff - like a non-universal negative battery cable...

Matrix or Vibe would be an option too. Vibe is a Toyota Matrix with Pontiac emblems. Coworker had a Matrix and they drove the wheels off of it for years. Traded it in on a Outback and dealership did really well on it. I did quite a bit of work on it and always felt it was a well thought out vehicle and aftermarket parts weren’t too bad.

Matrix or Vibe would be an option too. Vibe is a Toyota Matrix with Pontiac emblems. Coworker had a Matrix and they drove the wheels off of it for years. Traded it in on a Outback and dealership did really well on it. I did quite a bit of work on it and always felt it was a well thought out vehicle and aftermarket parts weren’t too bad.
I owned a Matrix for 130k miles and the only problem was a cat replaced under warranty. It was a great little car.

That things definitely had some front end damage and also suspicious that they put an air freshener in there. Pretty sure these are known for oil consumption issues too. Hard pass for me.
I fear you are right about the front end damage, but I've never seen a used car that didn't have an air freshener in it.

I fear you are right about the front end damage, but I've never seen a used car that didn't have an air freshener in it.

I rarely see that in used vehicles around here unless it's Bill's Uncle Brother's Buy Here Pay Here lot. Typically they throw them in there to cover up a smoke (of any types now adays, lol) odor.

Back