Your High-Mileage 5w30 recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our 2AZ-FE is starting to consume oil, so I want to start running high mileage oil to help combat. Was thinking of using Mobil 1 High Mileage as I've heard good things about it, but wanted to get some other opinions. The ODO just turned over 151,000 miles.
smile.gif

There there any leaks that are visible? Have you gotten underneath the car to look for drips? Spots on driveway?

People here used to swear by Maxlife when I joined here not too long ago. But then removed the Moly, and for some reason, everyone backed away.

It would be good to know if your oil loss is due to blow by (worn/stuck rings) or leaky seals and gaskets.

Yes, no drips. I did tighten the oil pan bolts awhile ago due to slight leakage, so I need to check them again.

also, consumption is not a true concern yet. I've only had to add 1/2 quart after 3,500 miles.

Originally Posted By: RamFan
I'd go with MaxLife.

+1 MaxLife also comes in full synthetic and NextGen, if you can find it.

Thanks.. need to push this girl a few more years till I can afford a new ride for the Wife.
smile.gif

How long is your OCI? If its just burning and not leaking, I'd try Castrol HM. It is on the thicker side and would help reduce the burning.

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
Originally Posted By: RamFan
I'd go with MaxLife.

+1 MaxLife also comes in full synthetic and NextGen, if you can find it.

Another vote for Maxlife. Start with 5w-30. You can always jump to 10w-40 if you want to further reduce consumption.

M1 HM is great but there is something about Maxlife that really works in slowing consumption and cleaning. I did a very small and unscientific experiment with both but Maxlife seemed to slow my neighbors leaky Civic better than M1 HM. When I cut open the filters there is more junk when I use Maxlife as well. I would have never thought since M1 is more expensive and fully "synthetic".

Originally Posted By: MysticGold04
also, consumption is not a true concern yet. I've only had to add 1/2 quart after 3,500 miles.

That's not bad at all. At that rate of consumption, you probably don't even need HM motor oil.

My OCI is about 4000-4500 miles in 6 months. This is the first time I've noticed any consumption affecting the level on the dipstick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back