Your experiences, is "pull me over red" a real thing?

I've been pulled over before for a car's appearance or sound, but not due to color. One was a Panoz Roadster, he pulled me over because it didn't look or sound street legal (even though I had a rear license plate with current sticker) and he wanted to see the registration. When I showed him the reg and he realized it was legal, he walked around the car slowly, checking it out, saying, "How the hell do you drive the speed limit in that thing?" with a big smile on his face. He could have ticketed me for not having a front license plate, but he didn't.

The human eye is attracted to motion and color. If a cop looks down the road he will more easily miss a silver or grey vehicle speeding compared to a bright-colored attention getter. Over time, cops may become conditioned to specifically look for signal colors like yellow, red, orange, bright green, bright blue. You usually find what you look for.

For about a month my white Explorer was pull me over white. Granted, each time I was technically speeding, but not at speeds they would usually pull someone over for, it was 5 MPH over type stuff. They would always immediately tell me they pulled me over for speeding and were only interested in my ID, no lecture or ticket or even insurance check. I'd be on my way in minutes. Obviously they were looking for someone with an old white Explorer, but I guess either found the guy or learned to recognize mine.

I did own a bright red Ranger. Every time I was pulled over in it was legit dumb teenager stuff.

Red on red can be an issue 😷

4EC328BE-8596-4F40-815C-E8C299E6D973.jpeg

I've had 4 bright reds. Only got pulled over in one of them, as well as the Black Cherry Micah, Stratospheric Blue, and Radium. I'd say it makes no difference.

I'm fairly confident my wife all by herself has debunked this myth. She can make that 110hp red Focus fly and beg for mercy. Her first comment after the new tires went on was hey I go almost 90 now. She did get a ticket in the blue Escape though.

I for my new considered a red metallic color named Firenze Red for my new Jaguar F Type. It looked beautiful but not only was I worried that it may be a cop magnet color but also might attract unwanted attention from the type of miscreants that will key a new car or otherwise vandalize it.

The last three times I received a ticket were in dark grey, silver and black vehicles. All were deserved as I was exceeding the speed limits by 15-20 MPH. I'll bet there is empirical data collected by law enforcement agencies regarding colors and ticket issuance. But how to access it ?

Red Chevelle from 1976 to 1982 (loud) with headers etc.... Pulled over once for running a stop sign. No other stops.
Oldest son had 2 grey cars. He was hit multiple times in both and one was even totaled. They do blend in to the street
surface. Makes people miss them in some sun light.

It used to be a thing. Especially in the mid late 1980's in Southern Calif. I had a 1984 RED Sirocco - two pull overs in one day. All the time. It was just stupid. And people knew it was a thing. "Why did you get a red car? You will be pulled over a lot. "

YEP. Other than the Wolfsburg edition was a POS, just wanted rid of the thing.

Before that time I drove a bright yellow delivery car for a pharmacy for two years. Like a bat out of hell. Never pulled over.

It used to be a thing. Especially in the mid late 1980's in Southern Calif. I had a 1984 RED Sirocco - two pull overs in one day. All the time. It was just stupid. And people knew it was a thing. "Why did you get a red car? You will be pulled over a lot. "

YEP. Other than the Wolfsburg edition was a POS, just wanted rid of the thing.

Before that time I drove a bright yellow delivery car for a pharmacy for two years. Like a bat out of hell. Never pulled over.
At the time , those were a great looking car .

Up here its called, 'Arrest Me Red '. I see cops focusing on sports and luxury cars and cars with 4 to 6 teens piled in them, but then giving "Regular Working Joes" a break.

I did get pulled over heading to work late on highway Route 495 South in Massachusetts.
I passed a Statie, me running 85 in a 55 (back in the 55 stay alive days). I took the ward hill connector exit to Haverhill Route 125 and he followed me and hit his lights. I said to myself, "I'm toast now!" He approached and said, "I don't know who you are, but I was pacing traffic back there and you make me look like an Idiot passing me in the left lane! Then we walked back to his interceptor and drove off.

Red Yugo GV - but with three Derry police booster stickers on the front qtr. window.

- Ken

I think nowadays, any color other than the usual black / white / silver / gold / gray cars which make up almost everything on the road, any other color is going to attract attention. Want to become invisible? Drive a gold Camry.

It is interesting to look at old photos of highways and parking lots in the 60s, 70s and 80s. Cars were a lot more colorful and black cars were rare.

It most certainly is, back in 1982 my neighbor had a red Chevrolet Camaro, think it was a 79 model, well, she went through a red light, and got pulled over. She got pulled over and told the cop, the car behind me also ran the red light, for whatever reason he was focused on her car, now I do not know the color of the other car and I was not there, but her next car was a white car.
Having blonde hair and good looks also increases your chances of getting pulled over. Bonus points for guys with long blonde hair......well hellooooo officer, how do you dooooo!

Well, as a self appointed expert on the subject, I can say that in Nevada, if I get radared at 10 over the speed limit in my bright red Z-28 I will get pulled over and ticketed. If I get radared in anything else at 10 over, I will get pulled over and ticketed.
I do know that everyone else thinks the car is a ticket magnet. When I used to make the trip from Vegas to Tahoe through rural Nevada at speed, occasionally another car would try to keep up with me, figuring if there was a cop, I'd be the one that got the ticket.
Never got pulled over in my Z where I didn't deserve it.

That's awesome there's a program that breaks down all the data into it - it's like GIS (geographic information systems) but for accident reports!
It’s probably built on ArcGIS from ESRI or pulling in GIS from Google or Microsoft(Bing Maps).

I see cars of all colors getting pulled over. Red just doesn’t look good over time - more so since lead was banished from paint in the 1990s.

Back