You are given any car you want, but must keep it, daily drive it, feed it and repair it.

I saw this question on another forum and the responses were very interesting. So I thought I'd post a similar question here among the motoring enthusiasts.

Rules: You will be given any car or light truck you'd like, cost is no option. But you must drive it 87% of the time, you must feed it, you must insure and maintain it completely and properly. Put tires and brakes on it, you can't use it for any form of commerce, you can't lend it out sell it or swap it for another vehicle for daily tasks or trips. In other words, it's your baby. The 13% you can drive another vehicle is just for practical reasons, such as picking up concrete or plywood.

What do you choose and why?

I'm

I'd get a clean Jeep XJ with an automatic. It'll last the duration. I don't know how I'd feel about running it in the winter, though. I know those things in and out. Not a single major or minor component I haven't swapped on one.

I also think my current Forester would be a good contender. It's no stranger to hauling around a lot of building materials. Great in snow. I just get bummed with the AC problems.

Last edited:
A crew cab Sierra. And an my wife would choose an S60. Now if I didn't have to feed, maintain,or insure them, that's when it would get interesting!

1972 Chevrolet C10 350, convert to FI, use 700R4 transmission, limited slip, covert AC to modern refrigerant, PS PB good stereo long bed.

A crew cab Sierra. And an my wife would choose an S60. Now if I didn't have to feed, maintain,or insure them, that's when it would get interesting!
I would probably choose similar, crew cab F150 2.7 Ecoboost or a Crew Cab (would need to be spotless and clean) 2000-2006 2500HD 6.0 Gas.

2.7 since it is port fuel and DI to keep valves clean. The 6.0 LS because it is very reliable.

Have room to haul what I need and tow what I need.

Insurance would limit me in a way that would have me driving about the same kind of vehicle. I've reached a point where I just don't value anything beyond intrinsic value. I would consider it, literally, thrown away money and to me, even a buck thrown away is a buck I should have saved.

That being said, I'd probably opt for a low mileage fullsize GM SUV, just before the DOD nightmare started. Like a Mecum auctions grade 2002 Tahoe with 15k miles or something like that. Even then I might be afraid of old dried out gaskets.

Basically I'd want a vehicle in great condition, but cheap to insure and of good quality.

A 911...the "everyday exotic"
I'd love for that to work for me, but it would probably have to be a Cayenne as I need a bit more room than a 911 offers for work.

Unless using it for work is using it for commerce. I was taking that as I cannot go out and Uber with it to make the coin to do the M&R, or loan it out.

If I CAN have a separate car I use for work, which is probably 80+ percent of my driving, then yeah, 911 all the way. The everyday and reasonably reliable supercar.

Probably whatever model has the least bleeding edge tech.

2021 Escalade Platinum Sport 4WD to give my wife. Already have what I wanted.

I'd take a brand new 1986 Mercedes 300D. That car gets reasonable mileage on diesel fuel (which costs less than gasoline here), is very comfortable, very reliable and could be kept going at low cost for decades. It's also fairly rust resistant and the interior stands up well.

If I can't have that I'd take a brand new 2001 BMW 530i M sport 5 speed manual. I have a 2000 528i M sport 5 speed manual which has been a great car. It looks good, gets reasonable mileage, handles beautifully, rides nicely and has been quite reliable but the 3.0 liter engine in the 2001 has a bit more power and gets even better mileage.

Another classic Volkswagen Beetle you can’t have too many of them. And it gets a lot of looks and talking about lol and people come up to me and ask about it or show up at my house asking if I’ll sell mine so I am sure I’d be noticed in it which is good. And plus what’s not to like about them comfortable and easy to work on.

Back