Yokohma YK520 or.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so I'm in need of new tires (225/45/17) and I was wondering if anyone recommends a tire over this one. They are currently on my fiance's car and have about 30k miles on them and they are wearing very well (probably can get another 30k out of them) as well as being very quiet on the road.

I'm thinking about installing these on my ride as well but I was wondering if anyone thinks I can get a better tire for the same price. My main concern is comfort, low noise and long lasting. I was looking at the Kuhmo LX Platinum but there aren't many reviews on it.

Sounds like the LX Platinum should be exactly what you're looking for.

I would also look at Yoko AVID H4S. It might have slightly shorter tread life (500 UTQG), but is rated AA for wet traction. I've had them on a Sentra and thought they were comfy and quiet.

I have Yokohama YK520 on my Infiniti G35 and they are very good. Quiet, smooth yet have good traction. Plus with 28K miles on them, they still look really good and I don't drive like a grandma either.

Review: Yokohama YK520 review

Originally Posted By: dmiko
I have Yokohama YK520 on my Infiniti G35 and they are very good. Quiet, smooth yet have good traction. Plus with 28K miles on them, they still look really good and I don't drive like a grandma either.

Review: Yokohama YK520 review

Yeap, that's why I'm thinking about just going with these since they have worked out so well on my fiance's 06 Altima. They only carry them at Discount tire but that is just fine since I have had very good experiences with them with prior tire purchases.

I cannot recommend the YK520's primarily because of poor treadwear. Had I taken them to the wearbars on my 03 2.5L Altima SL I would have gotten ~32k, tops. I purchased them because I had gotten a set of Yoko Avid Touring for my daughter's Civic, also from Discount Tire, and they got ~70k treadwear. I thought the 520's would be as good or better, but at the 25k rotation/balance I could tell they would not last past 35k. I do not drive my Altima hard, have regular rotation/balance and no alignment/uneven wear issues.

With ~28k miles on them, last month I bought BFG Traction T/A's at DT. They gave me a nice treadwear adjustment credit for the 520's and there was a $70 rebate.

With the exception of some noise toward the end, I had no other issues with the 520's. At least one other BITOG member has had a similar experience with the treadwear. One who was considering them, had read about the poor treadwear on DT reviews. When I got the BFG's the guy who waited on me said I wasn't the only one who had an issue with 520 treadwear. I can't speak to the Kumho's but I would give serious consideration to a tire other than the 520's.

HTH
J

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back