DEFENDER®2 ALL SEASON 215/55R16/XL 97H for '17 Honda Civic HB

Looking to replace Cooper Endeavor tires on my Civic (only 30k miles on them but worn close to the wear marks) and wonder if anyone has first hand experience with these tires on a sedan. I'm loving Defenders LTX on my Pilot but would like to know how this particular model is. For context, live in South Texas

I have the Defender T+H (previous generation) on my car, and at least one is loud at 30k miles. Up until this point, they have been smooth and both wet & dry traction have been good. Because of the loud tire, I have been looking at options.

The Defender2 seems to have taken a step back in terms of traction if the ratings on the tire mean anything. The Defender2 for my car has B rating for both Traction and Temperature. Also, the TireRack.com test wasn't very kind to them either in terms of performance in wet conditions. Online reviews seem to be positive. I'll be watching this thread.

People seem to like Defenders but I couldn’t get rid of them fast enough. They were not good in snow and their general traction seemed lacking to me.

Maybe the second revisions are better, but they seemed tuned for extreme longevity rather than much else. I much prefer my Nokian Rotiivas.

I do not have to deal with snow. 60k miles plus with Defender 2's on my Corolla Cross. It looks like there is plenty of life left. This driver is very happy and will eventually replace with like product.

Looking to replace Cooper Endeavor tires on my Civic (only 30k miles on them but worn close to the wear marks) and wonder if anyone has first hand experience with these tires on a sedan. I'm loving Defenders LTX on my Pilot but would like to know how this particular model is. For context, live in South Texas
Get yourself Pilot A/S4 or something like that. If you do not go north with that car, I would go full summer tire like Pilot PS4S etc.

Get yourself Pilot A/S4 or something like that. If you do not go north with that car, I would go full summer tire like Pilot PS4S etc.
They are not even offered in this size. Not sure if Pilot tires belong on a base trim Civic

They are not even offered in this size. Not sure if Pilot tires belong on a base trim Civic
Why not? You won’t have an issue bringing those tires to operating temperature. 60mph in Civic and 60mph in M3 is still 60mph. Pilot will have better braking performance etc.
If no summer tires, go A/S performance.

If it doesn't get cold down there, and winter/snow performance doesn't matter, consider summer tires.

Unfortunately, there aren't many summer tires offered in the size 215/55-16 in the US. If you want, you can order some from Europe. Some of those places will ship to the US via ebay's global shipping program.
Bridgestone Turanza T005
Michelin Primacy 4+
Goodyer EfficientGrip Performance 2

While Conti makes the PremiumContact in your size, it doesn't have the XL load rating you seem to need.

Personally I'd pass not real fond of the defender(car) tires.. and the defender 2.. well plenty of known good tires out there.
Can you suggest a couple of trusted names (brand and model)? I’m leaning towards Michelin since I’m having a great experience with them on my wife’s Pilot. I’ve had Hankook (OEM tires) and they were hot garbage. Not really impressed with Coopers. Bridgestone that came with my wife’s Pilot was horrible and I’m glad I got rid of them. Any other names I can look at?

Can you suggest a couple of trusted names (brand and model)? I’m leaning towards Michelin since I’m having a great experience with them on my wife’s Pilot. I’ve had Hankook (OEM tires) and they were hot garbage. Not really impressed with Coopers. Bridgestone that came with my wife’s Pilot was horrible and I’m glad I got rid of them. Any other names I can look at?
Bridgestone are usually pretty good. The aftermarket ones are typically better than the OE tires. At least, that has been my experience.

Yokohama makes good tires as well.

Bridgestone are usually pretty good. The aftermarket ones are typically better than the OE tires. At least, that has been my experience.

Yokohama makes good tires as well.
but those are brands and not models.

FWIW I like michelin performance tires, truck tires, and winter tires.. but their defenders IMO are average at best.
Had a set of defender(1) that wore faster than the xice 2's on same car. Round and black with averageness.

If you are looking for performance
GENERAL G-MAX AS-05 - clearance at tirerack for $97

Not-high performance
GENERAL ALTIMAX RT45
YOKOHAMA AVID ASCEND GT

Priciest best option
CONTINENTAL TRUECONTACT TOUR

DO NOT confuse those with CONTINENTAL CONTIPROCONTACT
FWIW I'm running a set of the as-05 on a 2020 elantra value edition its not too much tire.. you do give up 5-7% fuel economy over very low Rolling resistance oem tires.

Last edited:
I'd get either the Michelin Crossclimate 2s or the Continental DWS06 plus for outright performance. The CC are pricy in that size though and the DWS 06s aren't a very long lasting tire. They should both have a lot of grip though, but I can only attest to the original DWS06's performance.

Also load rating usually doesn't matter too much in treadwear. I kinda think that it is for load carry capacity and that it is determined by sidewall strength more than anything.

but those are brands and not models.

FWIW I like michelin performance tires, truck tires, and winter tires.. but their defenders IMO are average at best.
Had a set of defender(1) that wore faster than the xice 2's on same car. Round and black with averageness.

If you are looking for performance
GENERAL G-MAX AS-05 - clearance at tirerack for $97

Not-high performance
GENERAL ALTIMAX RT45
YOKOHAMA AVID ASCEND GT

Priciest best option
CONTINENTAL TRUECONTACT TOUR

DO NOT confuse those with CONTINENTAL CONTIPROCONTACT
FWIW I'm running a set of the as-05 on a 2020 elantra value edition its not too much tire.. you do give up 5-7% fuel economy over very low Rolling resistance oem tires.
I appreciate all the suggestions. How does Conti truecontact do as far as the road noise goes?

Back