Yikes! My Headgasket is Leaking Worse Than I thought!

1997 (I believe) 5.4 with 236000 or 237000 miles. It's run hard towing. It has been smoking and going through a LOT of oil. I'm assuming it has worn rings and valve seals but it's really been using oil. It hasn't been leaving puddles so I was thinking it was just losing all of the oil past the rings and valve seals and consuming it. I thought the burning oil smell was just exhaust with a lot of oil leaking out of the ehaust manifolds and y pipe that are rusted out. Guess it's just burning off of the head -- the exhaust manifold is cracked and shoots exhaust right right here. I'm not using any coolant, it does drip a little from the upper radiator hose but I seem to be refilling about what it uses.

This seems to be pretty typical on a lot of the early 5.4s. Also note my Dorman exhaust manifold and studs with 5000 miles and 18 months on them. Not cool.

Unfortunately the truck is not worth a head gasket job. These trucks are miserable to work on. Whoever thought that sticking an OHC engine under the dash on a truck with no dog house needs to never work as an automotive engineer again.

I'll either run it until it catches fire, or mixes oil and coolant then list it on FB Marketplace/CL or run it to the scrapyard.

On a good note, that casting plug will never rust out :D

1607952744448.png

1607952756241.png

That's the plan. Hopefully I can get another 2 years out of it or so. As much as I do like these trucks, the OHC engines are just not user friendly. The truck market is not great right now.

Frame is good! Luckily Ford used c channel on the 99-16 super duty frames. If it was a boxed frame, it would have broken in half by now. But the body is gone. I'd have to buy a new cab and bed in order for this truck to live for another 10 years.

Subaru coolant conditioner could improve the situation. If you can see it leaking on the outside, that by definition is an external leak. That does not exclude it being an internal leak too.

It's not a coolant leak. Just an external oil leak. I don't think I've ever seen one of the external oil leaks on a 5.4 turn into any coolant leaks / mixing. Usually people change the head gasket because they're tired of the truck smoking all the time or leaving puddles.

You could try degreasing the engine and scrubbing it clean then apply the black external RT gasket like Permatex Ultra Black or similar. Just tossing out ideas here. That looks like more than weeping.

My father in laws 2003 F-150 with the 4.6 just developed an external coolant leak from the head gasket. His has around 250k miles. I was a little surprised I hear stories all the time of 4.6's going 400k, but this one isn't going to.. He's debating between putting in a used engine, or just selling as is.

Drive it like you stole it, should go for awhile. Keep a fire extinguisher handy and good luck. Its not ready for the salvage yard yet!

Drive it like you stole it, should go for awhile. Keep a fire extinguisher handy and good luck. Its not ready for the salvage yard yet!

It's a 5.4 in a F350 that tows around 6000 pounds regularly. That's the only way to keep up with traffic towing with it. There's no redline on the tac for a reason - this engine routinely sees 4500 RPM.

It is a good time to say good by truck.
That was the plan until used truck prices went through the roof!

97/98 would have the the non-PI headed 5.4s
The head bolts are torque to yield, nothing to be gained there.
I'm the original owner of a 98 and agree that whoever designed the engine bay should be summarily executed. Plug changes suck.
Betcha you never kill that motor though.
I've never seen the external oil leak, didn't know it was an issue

Yeah. It's a non-PI head 5.4 from a 1997 F150 into the 01 F350. I don't doubt the engine will outlive the truck. The first engine died at 58000 miles from eating a washer. They're durable but not that durable.

The original engine also had a weep from the passenger side head gasket also.

An external oil leak at the head gasket developed on my '81 Celica 2.4. My daughter had the car at school in another city 1300 km away and was driving home from time to time. So in spite of it only being a small leak (a constant trickle running down the block) I had the head gasket replaced. I didn't want the leak to get worse suddenly on the road and have her run the engine out of oil. I'd have done that repair myself but the car was a long ways away. A Toyota inline 4 cylinder is easy to work on.

We kept the car for a few more years and then sold it for more than I thought it was worth. It might still be running.

That's the plan. Hopefully I can get another 2 years out of it or so. As much as I do like these trucks, the OHC engines are just not user friendly. The truck market is not great right now.

Frame is good! Luckily Ford used c channel on the 99-16 super duty frames. If it was a boxed frame, it would have broken in half by now. But the body is gone. I'd have to buy a new cab and bed in order for this truck to live for another 10 years.
Hell, 5.4's in a super duty are simple to fix, lots of room for activities. You want rough try a 6.8 in an econoline or a 6.0 diesel in an econoline

You got that right Tim! A 5.4 isn’t bad in a super duty IMO. It sucks in an f150 of that era though.
eh, they dont bother me anymore at this point. Been fixing them my whole career. The oil filter location on a 5.4 in a 97 F150 is the greatest location ever for ease of service...no so good for protecting the filter in the event of a front end impact though

Back