Yearly Maintenance

Those maintenance kits are pretty decent, and usually have everything you need, even if they are a bit pricey. It is always a good idea to check the valve adjustment on the Kawasakis, but I rarely find that they need adjustment, even after 500 and 1000 hours. This is the opposite of my experience with most Briggs engines.

Off topic but similar, I called my local Ram dealership about servicing the transmission in my 2016 1500 Ram, 106,000 miles, they said the fluid and filter are lifetime, no need to change. I did tell the service advisor, nothing is lifetime, he just chuckled and replied, just think of the money you're saving. I did call ZF North America customer service, they said not true, depending on usage, 40,000 to 60,000 miles is recommended. So I'll be doing it myself, new metal pan w/filter ordered and Val. max life, and follow the procedure.

Off topic but similar, I called my local Ram dealership about servicing the transmission in my 2016 1500 Ram, 106,000 miles, they said the fluid and filter are lifetime, no need to change. I did tell the service advisor, nothing is lifetime, he just chuckled and replied, just think of the money you're saving. I did call ZF North America customer service, they said not true, depending on usage, 40,000 to 60,000 miles is recommended. So I'll be doing it myself, new metal pan w/filter ordered and Val. max life, and follow the procedure.
Never use Maxlife in that transmission. ZF fluid only.

Yes, I was more than a little surprised by that response. Eventuallythe valves may need adjustment or something, right?
Yeah not a bad idea to have the valves checked. Usually with a Briggs engine they tend to loosen over time, so it will just become difficult to start.

The good old flathead engines only needed an oil and plug change and they kept on going even with minimal maintenance.

The good old flathead engines only needed an oil and plug change and they kept on going even with minimal maintenance.
Yep, I much prefer those, the OHV engines are so cheaply made and problematic. The flatheads produce more emissions though and aren't as efficient.

Yeah not a bad idea to have the valves checked. Usually with a Briggs engine they tend to loosen over time, so it will just become difficult to start.

Yep, I much prefer those, the OHV engines are so cheaply made and problematic. The flatheads produce more emissions though and aren't as efficient.
I run Briggs vanguards and never have to adjust the valves. My last vanguard has over 1700 hours on it and the valves was never touched.

I run Briggs vanguards and never have to adjust the valves. My last vanguard has over 1700 hours on it and the valves was never touched.
The Vanguards are the exception. They are extremely well-built engines, and not even in the same league as everything else from Briggs. I'm talking about the Inteks.

My year 2000 or so Depot Deere 17HP B&S recommended valve adjustment at 500 hours.
At 503 hours it pushed a rod through the head.
The replacement B&S recs adjustment at 200 hours.
Looking forward to doing it as the valve cover has leaked since day one.

Oh.
On the the intek twins i have noticed on the occasion they have a tendency to bend push rods.
Yeah they bend push rods and have head gasket issues. The big vertical Intek single cylinders are the worst. They are notorious for head gaskets failing, but also bend push rods, the valves get so loose it won't even turn over, carb needle failures filling the engine with fuel, and also they like to drop valve seats.

Yeah they bend push rods and have head gasket issues. The big vertical Intek single cylinders are the worst. They are notorious for head gaskets failing, but also bend push rods, the valves get so loose it won't even turn over, carb needle failures filling the engine with fuel, and also they like to drop valve seats.
I have had the worst trouble with opposed twin briggs engines myself.
-Valves becoming to tight
-Magnetron failure
-dropped exhaust valve seats
- Some run the best cold but refuse to start hot!

I have had the worst trouble with opposed twin briggs engines myself.
-Valves becoming to tight
-Magnetron failure
-dropped exhaust valve seats
- Some run the best cold but refuse to start hot!
I haven't seen an opposed twin in quite a while. I tend to either see newer cheap homeowner grade stuff with Inteks, Kohler Courages or China clones, or commercial mowers with Kohler Commands, Kawasakis and Hondas.

I haven't seen an opposed twin in quite a while. I tend to either see newer cheap homeowner grade stuff with Inteks, Kohler Courages or China clones, or commercial mowers with Kohler Commands, Kawasakis and Hondas.
I have never had problems with the kohler courage single on my dads gravely he bought new in 2009. Just regular maintenance and it just runs fine.

Back