Yard Machine 21" 3HP Oil Change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, I bought a used Yard Machine 3hp 21 inch snowblower from Craigslist. The man I bought if from said he just changed the spark plug (and it looks brand new). Seems fairly clean, a little on the cheaper side with plastic wheels and all, but should suffice for my needs.

I wanted to change the oil in it to have a fresh start, but I don't see an oil fill or drain, or even a way to check the oil. I downloaded the owner's manual, but no mention of oil change procedure or oil type. I don't have the seller's contact info any longer to check with him.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of snowblower? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Last edited:
IF its over 5 years old it might be a 2-cycle.. where you mix oil and gas.

or its hidden..
can you post a pic, model number, aprox year.. something

and you will get a less generic answer.

It does require oil/gas mixture, I bought a separate gas can just for it. So those types of engine do not have separate oil that needs to be changed? I didn't know that, very interesting.

I am at work right now, but can post more info when I get home.

Thank you very much.

Right. A two stroke engine burns the oil instead of having a crankcase. It's in a ratio- 16:1, 32:1, 40:1, 50:1. So you mix a little oil into the gas in order to lubricate the engine. It's common in small small engines- trimmers, blowers, chainsaws. It makes for a simpler engine. Two stroke engines are less common in recent years, though.

If you have a Home Depot or an Echo dealer nearby, buy some Echo Power Blend 2 cycle oil. It is FD rated and has fuel stabilizer in it. The FD rating is on the side of the bottle and is kinda hard to spot at first.

Great, thank you guys for the information. I knew that 2-cycle engine took oil in the fuel, but I didn't know that took the place of crankcase oil.

I really appreciate the responses.

A two stroke virgin.
Gotta love 'em.
The lack of crankcase oil to change is one of the virtues of a two stroke engine, along with the torque and the sound.
My elderly neighbors years ago had a little two stroke Toro snow thrower. They couldn't get it started one frigid around zero morning. Told me that if I got it running I could do my driveway with it too. Gave it a shot of ether and it came to life.
They had a long driveway, like 100'+ as do we. The snow was about ten inches with drifts.
This little two stroke guy cleared both driveways without a hiccup.
Gotta love a two stroke machine.

Originally Posted By: vronline
Be sure you buy 2 cycle oil with the appropriate ratio for your machine (i.e., 40:1, 50:1).

Read what you just wrote and try again.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Be sure you buy 2 cycle oil with the appropriate ratio for your machine (i.e., 40:1, 50:1).

Maybe he meant the TruFuel ethanol-free gas in a can in the various mix ratios??

Originally Posted By: WhizkidTN
Originally Posted By: bubbatime

Maybe he meant the TruFuel ethanol-free gas in a can in the various mix ratios??

Or the little pre measured bottles that you add to one or two gallons of gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back