yanmar clones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got bored one night, so just for the heck of it, I posted a lowball offer on ebay for one of the single cylinder chinese diesel yanmar clones. I unexpectedly got it, 6.5hp w/horizontal shaft, and it's now sitting in my garage. Seems to be a good runner, with the only quality issue being the fit of the exhaust manifold to the head (there is a slight trace of soot at the flange after running for an hour to flush out the casting sand. It has a keyed output shaft and cam PTO.

My question is, what to do with it? I've always wanted a diesel riding mower, but can't afford even a used one, so the idea of a side-of-the-road "for sale" repower comes to mind. Anyone have a suggestion for the simplest project? I bought this thing with the idea of some SVO blend experimentation in mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EjIlSFtfU0

Here's mine it's a 1972 1556 Bolens. Mines a 10hp that I picked up on craigslist dirt cheap. I have to redo the exhaust and relocate the fuel tank so the hood will fit back on it. Currently I have all the sheet metal off it waiting for new paint. It's built like a tank, Hydrostatic drive with hydraulic lift and a spin on filter and a diff lock. All shaft driven, Steering is still tight as well.

You could use it to drive a standby generator.Should get about 3000 watts from that diesel.If the trans. has enough gears it maybe able to push snow or use a rear mounted scraper blade.
Is there a pulling tractor class for this machine? It may be able to pull small gardening tools but with 6.5 horses,it would be slow.

Here's a pic of the ole beast

Picture341.jpg

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
Got any links to the engine? Sounds like it's right up your alley based on your handle.
You got that right. Not web savvy enough to link, but it is a launtop manufactured morpower brand-still plenty of them on ebay, just do a search under electric start diesel (it has a recoil backup, but it's a bear with a cold motor). Got the standby issue covered by a three cylinder diesel kubota, puts out close to 11,000 watts. My electrician buddy will be doing a whole house transfer setup before winter is out.

Originally Posted By: turbodieselfreak
it has a recoil backup, but it's a bear with a cold motor.

That's odd. Mine starts on the very first pull evertime, Even when it was about 35 degrees the other morning.

That tractor is [censored], kinda what I had in mind. What did the chassis cost you?

I paid 150 bucks for it, Complete. It'll be pretty nice lookin when I'm done with it.

I'm far enough north where it might be colder here (got below freezing last night), or it might be the 10w30 non-syn rotella I have in it right now, or the svo/diesel blend in the tank, who knows? I could get a few puffs out of it, but got tired of trying to pull start it today after five tries, so out came the jump box, and I got an instant start. It's bolted to a pair of 2x4's right now, so holding it down while pulling the rope burns the calories pretty quick
smile.gif

Looked at your vid, and it appeared that you have a pulley belt driving the shaft, did I see that right? Is your crank keyed, and where did you get the pulley to slip on the output?

Looked at your vid, and it appeared that you have a pulley belt driving the shaft, did I see that right? Is your crank keyed, and where did you get the pulley to slip on the output?

That's the same way it was set up from the factory. The only difference was the pulley took a 1 1/8th inch shaft and the diesel engine is a 1 inch shaft, So I ordered this sleeve to make up the difference. The crank is keyed and the pulley came off the original engine

http://smallenginewarehouse.com/product.asp?PN=Sleeve-118-114x3&desc=Misc%20Engine%20Parts%20%20Bronze%20sleeves%201-1/8%22%20I.D.%20x%201-1/4%22%20O.D.%20x%203%22%20total%20length,%20includes%202%22%20of%201/4%22%20x%205/16%22%20key%20stock

Last edited:
Thanks! Looks like I have a spring project to keep me busy after my genny project comes to completion. BTW, my engine looks exactly like yours except for the output and paint scheme-I'm guessing they rolled out of the same factory. My understanding is that I can expect comparable torque to a 9 or 10hp gas engine with this unit. My truck is diesel, so the military concept of one fuel (with the exception of my two stroke stuff like chainsaw/weedwhacker/snowblower) is an appealing possibility for me. A repowered four stroke snowblower might trim down the need for two stroke mix even further.

Heck, you might even be able to pick up another one. I've heard these engines work great on snowblowers, the torque really gives them an advantage.

I've read the same thing, but I'm more worried about my mower right now. It's a walk behind briggs, but started leaking past the main seal during the second season, which trashes the belt, making it a pain of a pusher unit, so I'd like to relegate it to finish work. I just did a pre-winter check on my blower, and I think the tecumseh has lots of life left in it. The plug came out clean after three seasons, and I mean really clean. You'd think I pulled it out of an efi engine with 30,000 on it.

As much as I like the idea of a diesel snow thrower, I suspect the additional weight of the diesel would be of concern. In some conditions, the weight might be an advantage. I often pull my snow thrower backward without using reverse gear. The additional weight might make it necessary to use the reverse.

It would be neat nonetheless.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
As much as I like the idea of a diesel snow thrower, I suspect the additional weight of the diesel would be of concern. In some conditions, the weight might be an advantage. I often pull my snow thrower backward without using reverse gear. The additional weight might make it necessary to use the reverse.

It would be neat nonetheless.
Agreed. My blower is a small unit powered by a 3.5 horse 2 stroke tecumseh that I could carry around with one hand, so fitting a diesel to it is out of the question. I would need to find a four stroke "for sale" unit to repower, but I might do it if I see a unit with potential sitting in a front yard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back