Yamaha PWC Oil

New to me 2004 Yamaha FX Cruiser High Output (Yamaha's R1 engine)

Manual calls for really an SN rated oil 10W-30. Yamaha lube switched to 10W-40 Conventional. Looking at VOA of yamalube it looks like a dumbed down version of Rotella. I run rotella in all of my OPE and Motorcycle. However its either 5w-40 or 15w-40.

What oil is recommended for this engine? The synthetics off the shelf are either high-milage variants and semi-syn. Any truth to conventional offering high rust protection while not in use?

Rotella 5w-40?
Rotella 15w-40?

Amsoil is a hard NO for me. Way to expensive to get it with shipping. Dont want to deal with their everyones an amsoil salesmen. Not my idea of a healthy business model.

Let me offer two oils that are easy, and reasonable, to get.

Kawasaki Jet Ski Oil 10w40. My current fill in my 2018 Ultra LX. 5.95 a quart AT the dealer. Great oil that board member "Sunruh" commented on how nice the analysis was, barring Blackstones obvious shortcomings.

Motul Powerjet 10w40. Something like 40 bucks shipped on Amazon for 4 liters.

Either is going to take care of that 04 Waverunner. I'd go with the Kawasaki oil.

In a jet application an engine does not have a time where it is coasting like a car or bike. It is loaded the moment it starts and load increases as jet pressure increases. A stout synth is all I would use and I wouldn't hesitate with the Shell t6 15-40

FWIW I run Delo 400 XSP full syn 5w/40 in my Sea Doo, Arctic Cat 4x4 and Yamaha 50hp 4 stroke outboard, plus the push mower and lawn tractor. Nothing has failed yet.

My question was targeted more towards which viscosity. Im planning to run T6, just should it be:
5w-40
15w-40

I live in houston, sooo it will see high temps. Yamaha originally recommended 10W-30, then shifted toward 10W-40 (they quit making the 10w-30) The new skis manuals (different engine) call for 10-30,10-40,20540,20-50. Very broad spectrum! But my older manual has not been updated and still states 10W-30.

I was running Amsoil Marine and have now switched to Mobil 1 0W-40. Curious to see what the oil analysis shows - prob no different than the Amsoil.

I very much had my eyes on this oil. My biggest problem with yamalube isn't the cost, its the fact that its conventional :rolleyes:. Amazon prime is my homie!

Yamalube gold bottle is fully synthetic.

yamalube gold.JPG

Yamalube gold bottle is fully synthetic.

View attachment 33669
Yeah … used it a couple times and went back to the blue bottle 10w30 …
you can find it places other than marine dealers for less money …

I also change the oil in my outboards yearly regardless of hours, and for me, is waaaay less than the needed OCI.
Same … they don’t get hot enough to cook out moisture etc … and I’m most likely to be out when weather change brings on vapor rise …

I very much had my eyes on this oil. My biggest problem with yamalube isn't the cost, its the fact that its conventional :rolleyes:. Amazon prime is my homie!
That's just silly. Millions of engines have in the past, and do today, run on conventional. Synthetic is NOT that much better. Don't over think this. (Coming from a guy that grew up in the 1960's).

Back