XM Sat Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting a bunch of XM radio stations (today/yesterday) although I don't subscribe to it.
Don't know what's going on, but a friend thinks like those who have Sat TV, sometimes you get a couple weeks of premium channels to preview once in awhile. Maybe XM radio does the same.
Anyway, enjoying it and it's free... til who knows when. Loud & clear for now.

Sirius/XM offers free previews several times a year. The current one is set to end around the first week of February. I get emails regarding the free previews as I currently have one unsubscribed radio (but I have 1 XM unit and 1 Sirius unit currently subscribed) that they keep trying to get me to reactivate.

http://www.siriusxm.com/listen8

You might just be in one of the 2 week promo groups.

Edit: Whoops, JavierG beat me to it.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Be very careful if you decide to subscribe! NOT a fan at all of Sirius/XM Radio. Google XM Radio customer problems/issues etc... I think you will get a sense what other people think of this co. I sincerely hope not, but it wouldn't surprise me if you get a bill! How did your radio get activated? Free trial w/new car? Your friends are subscribed and that's how they receive free programing ocassionally.

Been a subscriber since '05. I wish the sound quality was better for music stations, but the internet streaming via phone app takes care of that.

A great service all in all.

They run 2 week free trials periodically. I think it's 3-4 times a year.

The free preview is a "sanitized" version of what you'd really get if you subscribed. It's missing some pretty good channels, but it's free, so that's fine with me.

Ha.. how odd. I just got a flyer in the mail and it says to listen & enjoy my free 60 channels to Feb 10 and to listen on my vehicle (shows my vehicle and VIN number), no commitment.

Yesterday evening I did a 3 hour round trip to have a grand daughter which I'll be making the 3 hour trip again in a couple hours to take her home. The stations came in loud & clear in the fringe areas I normally get scratchy signals, but I can usually tune around and find something OTA. Something to think about maybe.
Then if I subscribe, $25 for 1st 6 months (72% save), and can call to cancel anytime. With app works pc, smartphone or tablet.
I have a audio room, listen mainly to vinyl LP's, but occasionally FM tuner.

Never experienced SirusXM before so never knew the cost. But I'm still in the enjoy while free & I dunno.

We've subscribed to Sirius and/or XM (now one company) for closing in on a decade now. Very inexpensive; we have music-only plan on both of our cars and we pay $20/month for both cars. When I drive a company car, I'm reminded of just how many commercials are on free broadcast radio.

I have used Pandora through the phone every now and again in the car, but reception is sometimes spotty and it's not a very elegant solution. We've been happy SiriusXM subscribers for many years.

My recent Buick purchase included a 3-month free trial of XM. The info sheet I received this weekend in the mail says clearly that I have to take action to subscribe -- they won't simply (and sneakily) sign me up if I do nothing.

I've been playing with it. Fifties music on Channel 5, Sixties on 6, etc. Kind of neat, though as someone who grew up with radio being free, I'm not sure I want to spend $15/month on it.

There's channels 56 and 58, classic country and '90s country. I'll have to take a listen. . . .

They have a music-only option (that drops the talk radio) for $9/month. We pay about $20/month for two music-only vehicles, inclusive of fees. You have to call and ask for the music-only subscription; they don't advertise it.

Ours stays on two channels. 58 if I'm in the car alone, or 16 if my family and kids are in the car and notice that I have it on country...

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
My recent Buick purchase included a 3-month free trial of XM. The info sheet I received this weekend in the mail says clearly that I have to take action to subscribe -- they won't simply (and sneakily) sign me up if I do nothing.

Just be aware, if they have your credit card number, they WILL automatically renew you. They usually try to get a cc number to activate a radio, even with new vehicle activations. I'm in a new work van now and the dealer activated it before pickup but when I bought my truck Sirius required a number before activating, even with the free year. One of our other work vans was activated by a dealer so we assumed they didn't have our cc number. Turns out we had put the initial deposit for the van on a card and the dealer used that number to activate the radio. They of course did auto-renew at the end of the year. And no, we no longer do business with that dealer.

Last edited:
I have the 3 month trial on my vehicle right now. There are only 1 or 2 stations I listen to. Streaming internet radio on my phone has way more options and much better stations. I doubt I'll keep it after the trial is up.

Originally Posted By: Canawler

Just be aware, if they have your credit card number, they WILL automatically renew you. They usually try to get a cc number to activate a radio, even with new vehicle activations. I'm in a new work van now and the dealer activated it before pickup but when I bought my truck Sirius required a number before activating, even with the free year. One of our other work vans was activated by a dealer so we assumed they didn't have our cc number. Turns out we had put the initial deposit for the van on a card and the dealer used that number to activate the radio. They of course did auto-renew at the end of the year. And no, we no longer do business with that dealer.

No, I didn't use a CC for anything in the purchase of the car. If Sirius somehow does auto-renew me that way, I'll call the CC company and get it lifted.

In any case, the multiple channels were all working last evening -- I drove out to the suburbs listening to Conway Twitty and Loretta Lynn -- but this morning there seemed to be only Channels 0 and 1, the preview. Is this normal?

In any case, the multiple channels were all working last evening -- I drove out to the suburbs listening to Conway Twitty and Loretta Lynn -- but this morning there seemed to be only Channels 0 and 1, the preview. Is this normal?

Dumb question, but are you sure you were in the 3 month free period yesterday? I think there was a pretty widespread promotion that ended on 2/10.

Obviously, Canada is a little different. I have SiriusXM, and a friend has the XM. Up here at least, they're always monkeying around with package prices. For a while, they were offering a lifetime subscription for something like $500. In retrospect, I wish I had taken that.

Yes. The trial periods usually run through Mondays.

The "Mostly Music" package is on the Sirius website for $9.99/mth.

Originally Posted By: 99Saturn

Dumb question, but are you sure you were in the 3 month free period yesterday? I think there was a pretty widespread promotion that ended on 2/10.

I thought the 3-month trial was supposed to start when I bought the car, 1/3/14.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back