X1 rims on 2009 328xi compatibility question

Hi, I am looking for 17 inch rims for my summer tires (I know, I am a little bit early), and I found a interesting local listing (640$CAD for the 4 rims). They come from a 2012 X1 and look like as new. Playing on ebay, I found out that the offset for my car rims are 34 front and 37 rear. It looks like for the X1, the offset is 40 (not 100% sure). That is not much of a problem to me, but when I research the compatibility, ebay says there are not compatible. What is your say on that subject? Compatible or not. PS: I believe I will have no way to test them on my car before buying, as it is a private sale and he only sells the rims.

If the stud pattern and centre bore match up, you need to measure clearance. The -40 et means they will sit 3 or 6mm further inboard depending on which ones you measure. If you have clearance, they'll fit.

I would not count on them fitting. I would suspect possible interference between wheels and brake calipers. EBay automotive application system is also useless. Ask a dedicated BMW forum.

Originally Posted By: Pesca
It looks like for the X1, the offset is 40 (not 100% sure).
This is what I was able to find out on realoem: X1 rims are 17x7.5 ET34 Your 328xi had two rim options: - standard: 17x8 ET34 all around - staggered: 17x8 ET34 front, 17x8.5 ET37 rear My guess is the X1 rims will work, but because they're narrower, don't try to mount tires wider than 225/45 on them. They will also appear more hidden in the wheel wells, but not by much. Caliper clearance is still a concern, as the other poster noted. Some rims have a goofy spoke design that might interfere.

Pesca

Hi, Thank you so much for the fast answers. In fact I mislead you a bit on the numbers: Based on this english website, the wheels I have are 7 inch wide, not 6.5 as I thought, and the offset is 24. For the 3 series, the 17 inch rims are 17x8.5 with either 24 offset front and back, or 34 front and 37 back. I am not talking about non OEM, as it will complicated things even more, there are all BMW rims. The X1 rims are 17x7.5 with a 34 offset. With this calculator website , it said that the X1 rims will be 20mm more inside which could create a clearance problem. But with another BMW rim for the 3 Series, 18x8 with a 34 offset, it gives me the same clearance as the X1, so I should be ok. Even more, with the 19x8 37 offset BMW rim, it goes even more inside (23 mm). In conclusion, I should be ok. Meanwhile, I found for cheaper, black (what I wanted initially) 2008 M package 335xi rims, so I have now even more choices now. Sometimes life is so complicated grin whistle