X1 rims on 2009 328xi compatibility question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I am looking for 17 inch rims for my summer tires (I know, I am a little bit early), and I found a interesting local listing (640$CAD for the 4 rims).

They come from a 2012 X1 and look like as new.

Playing on ebay, I found out that the offset for my car rims are 34 front and 37 rear.

It looks like for the X1, the offset is 40 (not 100% sure).

That is not much of a problem to me, but when I research the compatibility, ebay says there are not compatible.

What is your say on that subject?

Compatible or not.

PS: I believe I will have no way to test them on my car before buying, as it is a private sale and he only sells the rims.

If the stud pattern and centre bore match up, you need to measure clearance. The -40 et means they will sit 3 or 6mm further inboard depending on which ones you measure.

If you have clearance, they'll fit.

I would not count on them fitting. I would suspect possible interference between wheels and brake calipers.
EBay automotive application system is also useless.

Ask a dedicated BMW forum.

Originally Posted By: Pesca
It looks like for the X1, the offset is 40 (not 100% sure).

This is what I was able to find out on realoem:

X1 rims are 17x7.5 ET34

Your 328xi had two rim options:
- standard: 17x8 ET34 all around
- staggered: 17x8 ET34 front, 17x8.5 ET37 rear

My guess is the X1 rims will work, but because they're narrower, don't try to mount tires wider than 225/45 on them. They will also appear more hidden in the wheel wells, but not by much.

Caliper clearance is still a concern, as the other poster noted. Some rims have a goofy spoke design that might interfere.

Hi,

Thank you so much for the fast answers.

In fact I mislead you a bit on the numbers:

Based on this english website, the wheels I have are 7 inch wide, not 6.5 as I thought, and the offset is 24. For the 3 series, the 17 inch rims are 17x8.5 with either 24 offset front and back, or 34 front and 37 back. I am not talking about non OEM, as it will complicated things even more, there are all BMW rims.

The X1 rims are 17x7.5 with a 34 offset.

With this calculator website , it said that the X1 rims will be 20mm more inside which could create a clearance problem.

But with another BMW rim for the 3 Series, 18x8 with a 34 offset, it gives me the same clearance as the X1, so I should be ok.
Even more, with the 19x8 37 offset BMW rim, it goes even more inside (23 mm).

In conclusion, I should be ok.

Meanwhile, I found for cheaper, black (what I wanted initially) 2008 M package 335xi rims, so I have now even more choices now.

Sometimes life is so complicated
grin.gif
whistle.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back