"Wrong" weight oil in H6 & Generator oil consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

A couple of unrelated questions. If this is the wrong sub-forum, apologies.

First. While changing the motor oil in my mother's Outback 3.6R (6 cylinder boxer), she mentioned the dealer used 0W-20 instead of 5W-30 at the first change (around 3k), by accident. It has since been changed out to the correct weight (5W-30). As the break-in period happened with the correct weight, but the subsequent fill was incorrect, is there any chance some damage was done? Engine and drivetrain "seem" fine, car runs like a champ. Poured regular flavor M1 5W-30.

Second. Recently had a 22kW Generac 2 cylinder backup generator installed (999cc engine, air cooled). Runs on propane. The installer mentioned that during extended runs, checking oil level will be critical and to expect "heavy" oil use/burn. Suggestion was to top it up with fresh oil as needed and continue with regular maintenance. The burn rate mentioned was about a 1/2qt every 24hrs!
Is this the norm? Do these engines seriously consume oil at a high rate? Manual calls for 5W-30, with the first change at 25hrs, and every 200hrs thereafter.
Additional question regarding: Is 5W-30 the right weight here, considering the consumption rate? I've been using 15W-50 M1 in my cheap-o portable with good results and minimal oil burn. And my Honda eu7000is generator that uses 10W-30 doesn't burn a drop. What gives, Generac?

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions!

Originally Posted by Chris142
I think a 5w30 is too thin for air cooled stuff. I would run 15w40 in it.

^^ especially since he is in Florida. I agree; 15W-40

Probably no damage from the dealer putting in the wrong oil. But hold onto the receipt, juuuust in case something oil related pops up later.

Welcome!

No. You haven't had any damage done to the engine by using 0w20.

The installer used the word "heavy" and he is probably correct on oil consumption. You are comparing oil usage to a car. Cars loaf along at highway speeds using about 20 to 30 HP. Under heavy usage the generator is using all the power it has. It's about the hardest load an engine can have. Fortunately, the generator won't always be under heavy load. This is normal.

I would be (and do use) using a synthetic 10w30 in your generators.

My portable Generac gets real noisy and clack-ey when warm on 5w30 ILSAC. Put some 10w30 Valvoline Racing in there with a little liquimoly and its been fine. An t his is in below freezing weather!

According to this older guidance from Briggs & Stratton, air cooled engines consume about 1 ounce of oil per cylinder per hour. In you case that translates to 48 ounces, or 1.5 quarts per day being considered normal consumption. That seems rather high in my own experience, as I am able to run a 724cc V-Twin on a riding mower for a 30 hour season without adding any oil. That's by no means an apples to apple comparisson; you should expect your generator to use more. It certainly wouldn't be a bad idea to check the oil daily and also use a heavier viscosity as others have suggested.

B&S Oil Recommendations

I would use 15w40 in it, considering climate. Those run very hot if they are under high load for long periods.

Thanks for the replies, all.
I will consider a heavier weight oil for the generac, once the warranty period is over. Will step it up to 10W-30, or a stout 15W-40 diesel oil. Does any company make a full synthetic 15W-30?

Originally Posted by etnops
Thanks for the replies, all.
Does any company make a full synthetic 15W-30?

Full synthetic 30w starts out 10w30 before any additives are put in.

Don't confuse PCMO multigrades with HDEO.

Just look at the HTHS,

25W40 Mercruser outboard 4 stroke oil would be good to try in a hot climate. Quicksilver Brand

Dont go too thick . Remember you need that splash and scupper to work in a non pressurized engine lube system on a cold start!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back