Wrangler 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2006 Wrangler Rubicon with the 4.0 motor in it.

The guy at the dealer told me Amsoil is not good oil for the Jeep 4.0 due to the top end design.

I am completely confused on what he was talking about.

Is this true?

Is there anything wrong with Running Amsoil in the Jeep beside the high price?

Thanks for the help.

I see the Jeep being a problem since they leak more oil than they keep in the pan.

Amsoil is too expensive to throw on the ground.

:p

I ran Amsoil in my 4.0, my co-worker also ran the Amsoil 10w30 in his 4.0 and had 249k on it when he sold it. So I'd say someone does not know what they are talking about. That 4.0l is such a tank. We were trying to blow one up (don't ask why) but long story short, we blew the rod through the side of the block and drove the think to Wendy's to get some drive through and back again. [censored] thing still running.

Most people who say that "brand X" will not work cannot give anything but a vague reason why. You can run any spec oil in that 4.0 (including synthetic) and it will be fine.

Last edited:
Amsoil works fine in a Rubi 4.0. I've run SSO in mine and now have a mystery leftover mix in the pan that's getting ready to be swapped out for some 5W40. It runs VERY QUIET these days...minus the stupid small exhaust manifold crack that plagues this design.

Report him to Amsoil and they will go witchhunt all over his [censored]!!!
lol.gif
Seriously though, Amsoil makes a great oil as others have mentioned earlier here. This is a case of that dealer dude does not know what he is talking about. Ignore.

The 4.0 is kind of like a honda xr80 dirtbike. You run mud for oil and it would keep on ticking. The only reason to run Amsoil in one is to way extend the oci. It'll run forever on walmart oil (not saying it's bad) too.

The 4.0 does seem to be counter to the typical SBC Niagara Falls flow through the pushrods. Nowhere near as much. It hasn't anything to do with Amsoil.

I'm running HDD 5w-30 now.

Originally Posted By: rraiderr
The guy at the dealer told me Amsoil is not good oil for the Jeep 4.0 due to the top end design.

Ask him why Amsoil is not a good oil for the Jeep 4.0. Ask for specifics.

If I had a newer 4.0L with NO LEAKS...my choice would be Rotella-T syn 5w40...seems to be best choice for that motor. In mine, since I have leaks, I run dino oil (usually in the HM flavor) and it has kept them under control for now. But that engine likes HD oils due to the flat-tappet design. But honestly, it is like a tractor motor...it will run on the cheapest dino you could find & still go 300k.

Quote:
In mine, since I have leaks, I run dino oil

Are you kinda looking forward to the day when you get some leaks and can upgrade to a synthetic?
54.gif

Originally Posted By: FastSUV
If I had a newer 4.0L with NO LEAKS...my choice would be Rotella-T syn 5w40...seems to be best choice for that motor. In mine, since I have leaks, I run dino oil (usually in the HM flavor) and it has kept them under control for now. But that engine likes HD oils due to the flat-tappet design. But honestly, it is like a tractor motor...it will run on the cheapest dino you could find & still go 300k.

My wife and I both had '00 4.0 Cherokees. Mine never leaked, but all of the ones I've see have had rear main leaks. Thankfully it is a pretty easy job to fix it. Drop the oil pan, rear main cap, and there is your 2 piece seal. So not a big job at all. Just like the Chrysler v8 engines

I recently picked up a 99 Cherokee Classic with 170k miles on it for my daughter. Prior to purchasing it, the rear main, oil pan gasket and valve cover gaskets were all replaced. I'm currently running M1 5w40 in it and it runs great and is very quiet.

My Cherokee has 280,000km and my Wrangler has 220,000km both purchased new and always run on synthetics.Rear main on my Cherokee is still original and dry,only leak was the oil filter mount that was promptly fixed,and my TJ is bone dry after almost 10 years.Any "Japanese is best" drum-beaters want to pipe in here?HDEO'S are my preference in lubrication on these "ole American iron" dinosaurs.By the way 500,000km is my goal on these engines
08.gif

I just traded in a '97 Grand Cherokee with a 4.0..had 140k and no leaks at all from the motor. The tranny leaked a bit though.

I don't know a lot about it but from what I read it has to do with the 4.0 having flat tappets....supposingly the newer oils have less zinc and it can cause more wear.

I have an 05 Wrangler ....I run Shell Rotella.

At 107K my 1999 Wrangler's 4.0 isn't leaking a drop; it's had a steady diet of M1 10W-30 since I bought it used with 48K on it back in 2002.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back