Wow, Tesla laying off more than 10% of its world wide workforce, two Top Executives leaving

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't ignore that Elon has also seemingly decided to alienate the majority of his customer base with his extracurricular comments. People can agree with his comments or disagree with his comments but they aren't helping. All I see is an unchecked ego that thinks he can say anything with impunity and deliver anything with the Cybertruck and because he is so wonderful people will still buy his cars. Well, apparently, they won't, and it doesn't seem like a wise choice for someone who needs 50% growth rate moving forward.
When running across many of those guys with the massive / unchecked egos, they always seem to end up in some type of bad stew of their own making. Then , the more they run their mouths the deeper they sink.

I think you got it, and think it's very likely that Hybrid is the future until something other than Lithium Battery EVs come along.
Only makes sense, Hybrid, you have the convenience and safety factor (of not getting stuck) with gasoline.
Think about that, sending your daughter upstate to a NYS college, what would you choose if only two options? EV or Hybrid?

Easy answer, you will be able to sleep at night knowing she isnt stuck some place if the car has a gasoline engine to rely on vs a dead EV battery. I think far too many people discount this thought. We are a country with a HUGE landmass. The prospects of getting stuck with no power in your lithium powered car is scary.

ok, got to cut the lawn, its 85 degrees, first cut of the year, and yes my lithium powered lawn mower is all charged up!
Darn it, not sure if the edger is... :(
Maybe I have watched too many slasher movies but it always seems like the EV charging stations in a mall or food store parking lot are way back in a far, isolated corner. Yes, I have thought that I would not want my daughter there at night waiting for her car to charge.

Maybe I have watched too many slasher movies but it always seems like the EV charging stations in a mall or food store parking lot are way back in a far, isolated corner. Yes, I have thought that I would not want my daughter there at night waiting for her car to charge.

It's almost always preferable to charge overnight at home or perhaps at work where it might be subsidized.

That being said, the times I've charged at a charging station, I was never alone although sometimes it was just 2-3 out of 12 charging stations being used. Occasionally they were full or close to full - even at 9-11 PM. The locations can vary though. I've seen them in the back, but also in prominent locations easily visible from the street.

The economy is not great despite what talking TV heads will say. Many people and businesses are tightening their budgets. I get parts from a local power equipment dealer, who does a lot of business with commercial landscaping companies. He said he has watched commercial customers who usually buy new mowers every two seasons transition to repairing what they have for now.
The economy is different after COVID. Some picked up that; some cannot adjust to new realities. COVID was a big economic disruptor, and in any event like that, some get out fine, and some never recover.

When running across many of those guys with the massive / unchecked egos, they always seem to end up in some type of bad stew of their own making. Then , the more they run their mouths the deeper they sink.
He was supposed to go out the moment when he started to call people "pedophiles" because he did not like them.
He alienated his customer base, and most people are starting to see that their money is supporting a business run by the guy who is out every day talking about replacement theory, etc. I would cut my arm if I ever gave a cent to a business like that.

They did drop development of low end car and also sales have leveled off. Guessing more dropped we don’t know about.

If you look at a traditional car company they are constantly doing redesigns and introducing new stuff. Except for Cybertruck the S3XY are kinda stale at this point. Sure the 3 just got a refresh but it’s my opinion the Y should have got the refresh at the same time at least.

Yes they do add/update little stuff all the time but I just don’t see the incentive for current Tesla owners to trade in for new ones right now.

And for people buying their first EV there are so many options now. If they just want something cheap there are a few leftover new Bolts or they can go lease a BZ4X/Solterra which despite being a pretty terrible offering are doing insanely cheap lease deals. I’ve also seen quite a few Ariyas around here surprisingly.

If they want something quick and cool there’s the Mach-E or Blazer EV.

If they want something big there is R1S or for a truck R1T or Lightning.

It used to be that Tesla was clearly the best option due to technology, charging network, etc. but now there are alternatives and a lot of people either don’t like Elon or prefer to buy from a traditional car company with a dealer every 10 miles.

I still think Tesla makes good vehicles and if one fit my needs and was within my budget I would definitely consider it but the days of “Tesla = EV” are over.

I agree that they should have continued working on their affordable EV for the masses and I think a more tradition large SUV or pickup truck would have been more successful in terms of sales long term vs the Cybertruck. Although it is cool to see a company do something different… but it’s never going to be a mainstream vehicle.

Take into consideration tabt bunch of these people who were laid off, have Tesla’s through lease program. 40-60% of it was reimbursed through their paychecks. They are now responsible for left over. If FSD, $200 a month.

I think it has more to do with the economy as a whole than competition. EVs aren't selling like companies predicted, car sales are down across the board despite what media outlets will tell you. The average person can't afford what they could just a few years ago. Tesla has the advantage in the EV market, their name has become synonymous with EVs. People who know nothing about cars call electric cars "teslas".

Some people were getting $1000 a week during Covid shutdown and going out and buying a Tesla.
People were flipping new Teslas for $10-20K profit depending on model.

EV tax credit really supercharged Tesla sales during that time when they were pumping Trillions of cash into economy.
Just wait till the recession hits and people that could afford a Tesla curb their spending.

Daily Job Cuts .com

At my peak I had over $550K of Tesla stock. Not bragging just the truth.
PM me if you want the screenshot of my holding. I made nice $$$$ on Tesla stock that was very overvalued and flat out bonkers for what the company was really worth.

Last edited:
Wasn't it Musk that said the vehicles sell themselves? It will be interesting to see if there will be additional layoffs on top of this at Tesla down the road. The jalopnik article said at one location All front of the house staff were axed, so just the repair people left?
Tesla’s global job cuts include reducing staff in the U.S. and China, the automakers’ two biggest markets, across sales, tech, and engineering, five sources briefed on the matter said.
Several U.S.-based service centres saw heavy layoffs effective immediately, primarily of sales staff and technicians, one source said. Another location laid off all front-of-house staff, the source said.
Two sources said members of Tesla’s China sales team were being notified they were being made redundant, with one saying more than 10% were losing their jobs.

Tesla is just beating everyone to the punch, again. Doing now what everyone else will be doing Q4 2024.

Musk the Visionary!

To be fair, the US wouldn't have a space program right now without him, although that's a bit off topic.

Wasn't it Musk that said the vehicles sell themselves?
Yea, with someone else's money. Too bad he wouldn't put his money were his mouth is, and pony up the taxpayer $7,500 out of his pocket, or see how well Tesla cars would have sold w/o it. Oh well.................

Yeah, taken a beating this year!
By market cap, only bigger than the next 4 or 5 car companies combined.

I didn't get to @Dave Hess numbers, but I am still in the black. And shoulda bought the stock instead of the car!
Hindsight... Sheesh!
Yes, sad, market cap slashed by 60+% from its high!
The shareholders have learned a lesson.
Don’t trust a car company with the PE of 90 in an industry where others are 6 to 12
From 90 to currently 37 next stop 23?

Shareholders determine market cap, which is not based on anything but emotion.
Tesla market cap was $1.2 trillion at its peak now it looks like a sinking ship at 500 million.

It’s kind of like the majority of the voters is determining the value of a company and we know how right the voters get things.

Last edited:
Yes, sad, market cap slashed by 60+% from its high!
The shareholders have learned a lesson.
Don’t trust a car company with the PE of 90 in the field, where others are 6 to 12
From 90 to currently 37 next stop 23
Exactly. So the question is, even though TSLA has fallen from its lofty heights, its market cap still dwarfs every other car company. What's wrong with the other companies?
Over the past 5 years, TSLA rose over 900%.

It may be that Tesla is making a shrewd business decision in cutting headcount now rather than waiting until it becomes a necessity.
There are plenty of signals that other automakers are feeling a pinch currently, having grown accustomed to inflated margins over the past few years while seeing inventory grow today.
There are also signals that EV penetration of the market for new vehicles has reached a plateau for the moment and may not see much growth over the next couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back