Wow, Tesla laying off more than 10% of its world wide workforce, two Top Executives leaving

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son works for Tesla. This is the third layoff since he started a few years back. Luckily he survived this one again.
Many employees were not notified ahead of time. There was a 1.5 hour line of cars at the plant gate and you found out if you were laid off by the guard denying access through the gate.
I am glad your son made it through. Sometimes its better to survive, sometimes its better to be the first one out?

Years ago I worked for a big company that seemed always to be laying people off. I think they did small batches so they could stay under the reporting requirement. Anyway the first way you knew is you showed up and your phone didn't work. Some people (not me) thought it was funny to occasionally unplug someone's phone :(

I think that exception says,
  • If 50 to 499 workers lose their jobs and that number is less than 33% of the employer's total, active workforce at a single employment site;
Tesla has 140,000 workers and so 14,000 are losing their jobs. If that doesn't trigger the federal or state WARN Act then they are useless pieces of legislation.
This comes up all the time - but as long as you pay them the amount of time you were supposed to give them notice - its not breaking any laws. The media spews this vitriol but its wrong. If there paid for the period - which I think is 60 days - then that is considered the same as notice. In fact its better - you don't have to show up. I am pretty sure all these past cases Tesla (and Twitter as well) paid everyone an equivalent severance so were in compliance.

The media still loves to jabber about it nonetheless.

Not sure the local power equipment dealer trumps objective numbers. Generalizing based on your conversation can be misleading. For instance, we are having the best year of our 16-year existence and we are up 20% doing absolutely nothing different. My business is very sensitive to local employment and economic trends. I'd be foolish for me to believe the economy as a whole is doing as well as we are this year. The economic data is what it is, as imperfect as it can be, it is more objective than how individuals "feel" about the economy.
Oh I'm 100% sure it is area specific, but to me it sounded like at least in my area that people are not as willing to fork over the amount for services like they were prior. In my own side business I've been receiving more work to repair things that normally would've been replaced, which could be from several things including high prices of new equipment, lack of stock in stores, etc.

This comes up all the time - but as long as you pay them the amount of time you were supposed to give them notice - its not breaking any laws. The media spews this vitriol but its wrong. If there paid for the period - which I think is 60 days - then that is considered the same as notice. In fact its better - you don't have to show up. I am pretty sure all these past cases Tesla (and Twitter as well) paid everyone an equivalent severance so were in compliance.

Lol...not a media thing. I literally just read something about this in my business law textbook yesterday and just now flipped the page to a legal case where they talk about it in more detail including the fines. You are correct, 60 days of pay is treated as notice.

IMG_5403.jpeg

The economy is not great despite what talking TV heads will say. Many people and businesses are tightening their budgets. I get parts from a local power equipment dealer, who does a lot of business with commercial landscaping companies. He said he has watched commercial customers who usually buy new mowers every two seasons transition to repairing what they have for now.
Companies are raising there prices constantly - corporate profits are at record levels - while at the same time squeezing their suppliers and not giving raises at the same rate increase their profits and revenue are having. Its clear on wall street as profits for the big companies are through the roof, but I read an analyst said its not the same for small business, because they have no leverage on their suppliers and are the ones hardest hit by the labor shortage.

So the rich get richer and the poor do not.

Eventually it will catch up with all of us.

Companies are raising there prices constantly - corporate profits are at record levels - while at the same time squeezing their suppliers and not giving raises at the same rate increase their profits and revenue are having. Its clear on wall street as profits for the big companies are through the roof, but I read an analyst said its not the same for small business, because they have no leverage on their suppliers and are the ones hardest hit by the labor shortage.

So the rich get richer and the poor do not.

Eventually it will catch up with all of us.
Consolidation and private equity money are also a big issue right now. Large suppliers are buying up smaller suppliers and the monopoly laws seem woefully inadequate. In my field, small practices are being bought up by PE on the promise that they can give small practices big practice leverage for supplies but it also means taking hits in other areas. In reality, the large suppliers have a monopoly and they and PE are getting richer and the individual practices are seeing less money, not more.

As expected, the reactionary responses by the usual suspects didn't take long to be posted.
It's a temporary blip. We've seen these kinds of things before. Maybe it's a good time to buy so when TSLA hits $400 you can be smug like me.

Counting out Elon and Tesla may be the fashionable thing to do in some circles and the media haters are salivating over this news.
I hope they all have good recipes for crow.

It's unfortunate that people were laid off. But from a business perspective it was the right thing to do. Other auto companies that are under the thumb of the UAW would either keep unproductive people on the payroll or have to pay big bucks in benefits. Tesla will be in a good financial position to resume production and ramp up again as soon as the time is right.

But enjoy bashing Elon, Tesla and EV's in general if it blows your dresses up.

As expected, the reactionary responses by the usual suspects didn't take long to be posted.

As I said initially, I do not understand the weird allegiance/cult of personality surrounding Elon and why you all seem to take criticism of him so personally. I'm typing on a Mac, I like Macs, and I don't give a rat's patooty if you hate Tim Cook and say bad things about him or Apple. I own two Toyota products, and I like Toyota products, but if you want to slam Akio Toyoda, why would I care?

These posts are discussions that help people work through Tesla's current situation. They aren't an attack on Tesla owners or shareholders.

I think that exception says,
  • If 50 to 499 workers lose their jobs and that number is less than 33% of the employer's total, active workforce at a single employment site;
Tesla has 140,000 workers and so 14,000 are losing their jobs. If that doesn't trigger the federal or state WARN Act then they are useless pieces of legislation.
This is correct. I thought common sense says all they need to do is pay for 60 days and didnt bother to bring that up. I haven't seen anything that they were paid. If they were that is fine but why then did workers files a lawsuit? Doesnt make sense to me and it's not the media, it's a fact workers accused them of violating the law. Why would they is the question because it would be baseless if they got paid for 60 days. (I tend to think they were but lack of info or interest for me to research other then the links I posted)

As I said initially, I do not understand the weird allegiance/cult of personality surrounding Elon and why you all seem to take criticism of him so personally. I'm typing on a Mac, I like Macs, and I don't give a rat's patooty if you hate Tim Cook and say bad things about him or Apple. I own two Toyota products, and I like Toyota products, but if you want to slam Akio Toyoda, why would I care?

These posts are discussions that help people work through Tesla's current situation. They aren't an attack on Tesla owners or shareholders.
Its why Goldman refers to their retail clients as muppets.

However when you think about it, Musk is an absolute genius. He was sitting around last time TSLA peaked thinking how on earth do I get my money out of this ponzi scheme. If I start selling it will crash or the SEC will be up my but. I know - I will buy Twitter! Everyone will love it. I will overpay - so I can make a big deal about I don't really want to. Makes it even more believable.

Musk sold $39B in TSLA stock. Then he used another $13B as collateral against loans to buy Twitter. Now he owns Twitter - outright. So yes, he overpaid, but its his now. Genius.

This is correct. I thought common sense says all they need to do is pay for 60 days and didnt bother to bring that up. I haven't seen anything that they were paid. If they were that is fine but why then did workers files a lawsuit? Doesnt make sense to me and it's not the media, it's a fact workers accused them of violating the law. Why would they is the question because it would be baseless if they got paid for 60 days. (I tend to think they were but lack of info or interest for me to research other then the links I posted)
They got paid, as required. However it still gets traction because big media like CNBC and Reuters print the allegation, but not the retraction.

Don't know about Tesla, but this is the twitter one. I'll save you the read: https://www.theverge.com/2023/1/16/23557210/twitter-workers-class-action-severance-lawsuit

A judge has ordered a group of laid-off Twitter employees to drop their class action lawsuit against the company, which accuses Twitter of not following through on its promised severance pay package, as reported earlier by Bloomberg and Reuters
but many employees affected by Musk’s mass layoffs say they’ve only received one-month worth of pay in addition to the two months of non-working pay they also received in compliance with the WARN Act. The suit argues that employees should receive at least two months of pay (as was Twitter’s policy pre-Musk), along with non-working pay.

So they got 3 months - but weren't happy with it. They wanted more. They file these lawsuits because they know the media will publish them and then hope someone settles.

No, I don;t love the source, but of course Bloomberg and Reuters publish NO follow up, or put it behind a paywall. Such is the media these days.

They got paid, as required. However it still gets traction because big media like CNBC and Reuters print the allegation, but not the retraction.

Don't know about Tesla, but this is the twitter one. I'll save you the read: https://www.theverge.com/2023/1/16/23557210/twitter-workers-class-action-severance-lawsuit

A judge has ordered a group of laid-off Twitter employees to drop their class action lawsuit against the company, which accuses Twitter of not following through on its promised severance pay package, as reported earlier by Bloomberg and Reuters
but many employees affected by Musk’s mass layoffs say they’ve only received one-month worth of pay in addition to the two months of non-working pay they also received in compliance with the WARN Act. The suit argues that employees should receive at least two months of pay (as was Twitter’s policy pre-Musk), along with non-working pay.

So they got 3 months - but weren't happy with it. They wanted more. They file these lawsuits because they know the media will publish them and then hope someone settles.

No, I don;t love the source, but of course Bloomberg and Reuters publish NO follow up, or put it behind a paywall. Such is the media these days.
Did you miss this part?
James Donato states that the workers must make their case in private arbitration instead, citing the employment contract they signed with Twitter.

Did you miss this part?
James Donato states that the workers must make their case in private arbitration instead, citing the employment contract they signed with Twitter.
Nothing to do with the Warn act. They got paid - they clearly admit it.

They wanted an extra month - which I in fact posted The suit argues that employees should receive at least two months of pay (as was Twitter’s policy pre-Musk),

If you want to argue the old policy should prevail, that is different than a Warn violation, and I even posted it for you.

No laws broken.

It's a temporary blip. We've seen these kinds of things before. Maybe it's a good time to buy so when TSLA hits $400 you can be smug like me.

Counting out Elon and Tesla may be the fashionable thing to do in some circles and the media haters are salivating over this news.

It's unfortunate that people were laid off. But from a business perspective it was the right thing to do. Other auto companies that are under the thumb of the UAW would either keep unproductive people on the payroll or have to pay big bucks in benefits. Tesla will be in a good financial position to resume production and ramp up again as soon as the time is right.

I do not see people bashing MB, BMW or other EV manufacturers except maybe Ford and rightfully so) anywhere near as much, they have been building high quality cars for 100 years and more they know how to build cars and are just trying something new. If it all goes up in smoke the no big deal they just keep building.
Musk on the other hand builds a low quality sketchy car and has no idea how to build a quality one and you wonder why he and these cars get bashed. Wow.

Your quote
‘A judge has ordered a group of laid-off Twitter employees to drop their class action lawsuit against the company, which accuses Twitter of not following through on its promised severance pay package, as reported earlier by Bloomberg and Reuters

The judge simply did not allow a class action lawsuit.
Nothing to do with the Warn act. They got paid - they clearly admit it.

They wanted an extra month - which I in fact posted The suit argues that employees should receive at least two months of pay (as was Twitter’s policy pre-Musk),

If you want to argue the old policy should prevail, that is different than a Warn violation, and I even posted it for you.

No laws broken.
This is what the suit is about:

The group of ex-Twitter employees first filed the class action suit in November and accused Twitter of not providing enough notice before they were laid off in violation of the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification (WARN) Act, which requires employers to provide 60 days of notice for company-wide layoffs.

The money came later.

I agree that Tesla having only EV's is a restraint. They also have no debt and I think they will remain the leader in the market for the foreseeable future, such that the market is. Tesla's primary issue is owners bid the price up to unsustainable levels. Getting rid of Elon won't fix that - if anything it hurts it, but they will do so anyway and it won't help.

There are lots of companies in that boat right now due to mutliple expansion from covid money printing. Tesla is just the current poster child.

As for GM, well there the same price they were at when issued in 2011 - not accounting for inflation and not accounting for all the debt they took on to buy back stock. So I guess once you hit rock bottom its only up from there. :ROFLMAO:
I think their latest report showed $29 billion in the bank and $9.57 billion in debt and growing.

Not sure why you can't see it for what it's worth. Curious if you work for Tesla as you really go to bat for musk. The Cybertruck has been a disaster and is now under a permanent stop sale. Musk has severely alienated perspective buyers. He is being sued after publishing vile not true stuff about a guy which musk admitted to. Musk can't fathom why he's being sued which is sad. Just about every vehicle they've shown off has been late. He flat out makes up product specs. Remember when the 2017 model s would be able to drive coast to coast without a driver? How about the 2018 robotaxi fleets? Tesla has shed alot of their top talent as everyone is tired of the Lunatic making it up as he goes. You don't think the engineers knew the Cybertruck wouldn't remotely have a 500 mile range or 14k pound towing capacity? I'm sure they did but it didn't stop musk from making it up as he went.

Your quote
‘A judge has ordered a group of laid-off Twitter employees to drop their class action lawsuit against the company, which accuses Twitter of not following through on its promised severance pay package, as reported earlier by Bloomberg and Reuters

The judge simply did not allow a class action lawsuit.

This is what the suit is about:

The group of ex-Twitter employees first filed the class action suit in November and accused Twitter of not providing enough notice before they were laid off in violation of the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification (WARN) Act, which requires employers to provide 60 days of notice for company-wide layoffs.

The money came later.
They were laid off November 22nd. This article of January 11th says they received their "severance". So at most it was 7 weeks after lay off. It also is possible they continued to be paid as normal during that period, because the other article contends " they were paid 2 months for not working - which these people acknowledge, in addition to the 1 month severance,

So even assuming their pay was late, the judge made no mention that constituted a Warn violation, so I assume it was not. Not saying being paid late is good - but that whole part is not well defined either way.

So this entire lawsuit is about whether a former Twitter policy that gave 2 months additional severance in addition to Warn instead of the one month provided, was in fact a implied contract, and if that implied contract survived the ownership change.

Not Warn. Really a big nothing burger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back