Would you use Teflon Additive in Transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you use, or see any benifit in using a Teflon based addtive such as 'Nulon Transmission Treatment'. I know Teflon has no benefit in engine oil additives.....what about the other regions ?

No, I would not. My ATF/gear oil( Amsoil ) is designed just for this purpose, no reason to try and "help" it. I figure if they wanted teflon in it, they would put it in there.

I would put Teflon in my transmission if I planned on cooking in it and I needed a good coating of PTFE to keep the food from sticking to the internals.

spend your hard earned money on a brand name widely used full synthetic ATF if you plan on keeping the rig past 80>100k miles.

best automatic transmission investment on the market.

ice is a low friction compound, would you put frozen water in your transmission?

Originally Posted By: vxcalais
Would you use, or see any benifit in using a Teflon based addtive such as 'Nulon Transmission Treatment'. I know Teflon has no benefit in engine oil additives.....what about the other regions ?

I don’t know about the mention “Nulon Transmission Treatment” but
I use Tufoil additive in the engine oil on both my cars. I also use Tufoil in the manual gearbox on one of the cars (which had a tricky gear shift between 1 and 2 gear) with great results. Tufoil contain some amount of PTFE (Teflon) and molybdenum.
Tufoil don’t recommend using Tufoil in automatic transmissions due to the low friction it will produce, see these Tufoil FAQ’s: http://www.tufoil.com/faqs.html

Isn't Teflon something on the order of 0.01 times as slippery as engine oil? Putting that in engine oil would be like swapping Vaseline for sandpaper. I can't imagine it'd be much better in a transmission.

Besides, AFAIK, transmission fluid doesn't really have a single slipperiness per se; it's supposed to have different slipperiness in gear teeth vs. clutch packs vs. bearings, etc., so it's more appropriate to talk about friction characteristics than slipperiness.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Isn't Teflon something on the order of 0.01 times as slippery as engine oil? Putting that in engine oil would be like swapping Vaseline for sandpaper. I can't imagine it'd be much better in a transmission.

Besides, AFAIK, transmission fluid doesn't really have a single slipperiness per se; it's supposed to have different slipperiness in gear teeth vs. clutch packs vs. bearings, etc., so it's more appropriate to talk about friction characteristics than slipperiness.

many fantastic responses hehe, but the above vaseline sandpaper comparison, if i was thinking along the lines of an male adolescent i certainly would not be using Teflon.
wink.gif

I neither recommend Teflon NOR moly in an mt. Teflon only reduces noise, not friction, and moly interferes with the friction modifier additive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back