Would you run a fram ultra for two changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably more oil laying around in the engine than what the filter holds. I go two OCI per filter. One 15k miles the other 10k miles.

Nissan's old change intervals were 3,750 miles for severe service and 7,500 for regular service. In my VQ35 engine, I use the Fram Ultra for one year (2 oil changes), which usually is 10-12K miles. They're now engineered to go 20K. No worries with the little bit of oil left in the filter.

I'll be cutting open an xg4967 that I have run for 2 short oci's in a week or two. I havent suffered catastrophic engine failure yet.

I do it because I feel better reducing waste and my impact on the environment. Not to save the money.

Back in the 90's... I ran a FL-1A on a 400M 2-bbl truck for 30,000 miles (3X OCI's) and when I cut it part it looked good.

Other vehicles I have seen in the last 40 years have had more miles on a filter than that.....

A CLEAN engine will stay clean.... and the filter won't have to catch hardly anything.

On a modern engine, I dare say 20,000 is VERY EASILY achievable,
and I sincerely doubt 50,000 on a good filter would hurt anything as long as regular oil changes happen.

Originally Posted By: mcwilly
I'll be cutting open an xg4967 that I have run for 2 short oci's in a week or two. I havent suffered catastrophic engine failure yet.

I do it because I feel better reducing waste and my impact on the environment. Not to save the money.
I cut open a XG9688 that had 15k miles on it. It was so unexciting I never even posted the pictures.

Originally Posted By: 60ampfuse
Hey guys, I’ve got a 2012 Nissan Titan that’s running Mobil 1 5w30 with a fram ultra filter. I’m due for an oil change. I’ve always changed my oil at every 3,750 miles as it instructs in the manual and the 3 samples I’ve sent to Blackstone have been very low wear. This time I stretched it out to a more reasonable 5,200 miles. I put the fram ultra on with the intentions of running it for 2 changes (10,000 miles) but I have a couple concerns. People say you don’t get all the old oil out unless you remove the filter as well. Is that something I should be concerned with? Would it be a good idea to take the filter off to drain the oil and then reinstall it or is it bad for the gasket to remove an reinstall? Should I just replace the filter or is that a waste after only 5,000 miles?
Thank you very much,
Aaron

I have run FU's on my titan for 2 OCI's with absolutely no issues - and I would - especially if you started with a clean engine and aren't towing the duration of the OCI.

If you inherited something with an unknown history by all means get it off- but next run you'll be fine with 2 OCI's.

If you have been offroading and don't have the skid plate package get under there and run your hand around to check for dings but otherwise its no problem at all.

The amount of oil left in a filter amounts to jack - as has been said there is as much or more laying around elsewhere internally .

If you are going to take it off - replace it completely. I've never re-used a spin on filter once removed -nor will I.

UD

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
I don't like running oil filters on two OCIs. My reasoning is that the filter still holds a good amount of the used, dirty oil so I don't like the idea of mixing that with clean oil.

" I don't like the idea "

I'm slowly starting to hate that phrase. (and others similar to it)

People are going to advance a society if decisions are based on facts,

not conjecture and old wive's tales.

My Honda will make it 12k miles on just one change and 20 percent oil life remaining no sweat. Last time I made it that long blackstone said try 14 to 15k. Have always used FU7317. This go around I did a 4k mile oci, drained for one hour,left oil filter on and refilled with 0/5w20 Sopus synthetic and LM Ceratec. 133700, 60 percent oil life remaining so it looks like the filter will have about 15k and oil around 10-12k. 200 mi daily drives with all highway too easy on oil.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86

LS400: fram ultra 12k
Accord: fram ultra 16k
I can't wait to cut them open. Car51, Zee0six, u ready? I can see you drooling.

I don't think you'll find any surprises.
At those mileages, all you will see is "boredom"

Let's see some 30,000 mile Fram Ultras cut open!!

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
I cut open a XG9688 that had 15k miles on it. It was so unexciting I never even posted the pictures.

My favorite post of this week!

From a % of total of that filters capacity in a titan sump is pretty much squat.

The 04 titan filter is fairly small - same as the G35. I think the sump is 7.3-4 Qts with the filter.

I use a mightyvac top side changer dumped the filter into it after a change prior to cutting it open.
The volume of the change overall volume is as you would expect - its imperceptible.

Because of its size (smaller than any prior truck Id had owned) In the beginning I closely monitoring magnets and filter load from the beginning and when not towing the thing puts out little to nothing dirt and iron wise.

Somethings to note after 85K and 13 years - its an oil shearer all that chain and sprockets shear oil out of grade. I tested the thing pretty thoroughly in 05.

Extend beyond the 7500 only with a UOA proven mix.

Either get a genuine filter mag, or snap some neodymiums on the filter. I run this and a drain plug and when I tow - you can tell.

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 60ampfuse
Would you run a fram ultra for two changes?

Not a problem.
If you are only running 5K OCIs, run that filter three OCIs.

If anyone here is anal about mixing a half-quart of old oil from the filter into new oil, then unscrew the old filter and let it drain out. Then reinstall the used Ultra.

I run a fram ultra for 2, 7k OCI's on my Nissan frontier with no issues. The reason being I hate the mess that is made while changing the filter. I don't worry about the small amount of dirty oil that gets left in the filter. I'd like to see proof of an engine blown or ruined by running a filter twice. (thats within the mileage specified by the manufacturer)

Would you wear the same underwear after a shower? I use an Ultra, and regardless of miles, 1 filter for 1 OCI. They're too cheap to try and stretch out the investment of saving $9 every 6 months.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
" I don't like the idea "

I'm slowly starting to hate that phrase. (and others similar to it)

People are going to advance a society if decisions are based on facts,

not conjecture and old wive's tales.
True. It's amazing how superstitious and illogical many BITOG posters apparently are.

I've dissected many ordinary oil filters from at least 4 cars owned by my parents and myself, at mileages up to about 20,000 miles, and have never yet seen one that appeared anywhere near clogged.

It's funny how a 5k mile oil change is now considered a short interval. I remember getting yelled at by my dad whenever he found out that I had forgotten to change the oil and filter at 3k OCI.

Jav
Oils and filters are better - even the inside of engines, are all made to stay cleaner, than when your Dad yelled at you years ago. Back then cars struggled to reach 100K.

How often are we going to do this topic? I feel like we talk about it weekly... If you type “Fram ultra 2 oci” into google the first two hits are BITOG and the first one links like 5 threads...

The third hit is good for a laugh too... ought to sick Jay on that one, in fact I think I will...

There are many filters here that have been run more than 1 OCI and some manufacturers actually recommend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back