Would you replace this tire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Linked Image]

I picked up a couple pieces of ceramic in my front right tire. As a result, the high point of tread has a couple 1 inch gashes. It does not appear that the bottom surface of the tire has been damaged badly. Very little penetration if any on the bottom surface. Damage is mostly in the tread. Obviously, nobody can predict the future and I can replace it, but the tire has less than 2000 miles on them. What would you guys suggest? I had the tire leak checked and it does not lose air.

Maybe it's an odd gut, but I think it should be replaced....something about the photo just doesn't sit well with me......

Nope. Too many people will pull the old "freak out right now and go buy a new tire or you're going to die the next time you crank over the engine" routine, but what you can do is go watch a video on how a tire is made.

The part of the tire that holds the air in is well beneath what you SEE, and if you can tell that the gouges didn't go any deeper than the tread is visible then you're fine. Heck, some people will deliberately sipe their brand new tires to improve traction.. and this involves the same thing -- running a blade across the tread blocks to a certain depth.

I know a lot of people that would still run it , myself I would replace

I would rotate it to the rear for 5-7,500 miles then if it doesn't get any worse rotate it to the front and keep driving it. Keep an eye on it and if it gets worse then buy a new tire at that time.

If the cut does NOT extend into fabric and there is no bulge, then it is OK to use.

How to check for a bulge: Take a GLOVED hand and rub the circumference of the tire. Investigate any bulge.

- BUT -

Just for safety's sake, keep an eye on it. Mark the location on the sidewall and check for a bulge in a week's, a month's, and 2 month's time. If no bulge, then it is likely OK.

Originally Posted by joekingcorvette
I would rotate it to the rear for 5-7,500 miles then if it doesn't get any worse rotate it to the front and keep driving it. Keep an eye on it and if it gets worse then buy a new tire at that time.

That's what i would do, run it a bit on the rear.

Originally Posted by joekingcorvette

What he said.

Though,,,if you have road hazard coverage, maybe see what the shop says?

The only real risk if the cut exposes belt wire. Then, you might experience belt separation due to rust, long term.

The cut doesn't look any deeper than the factory voids in the tread. You'll be fine, If you want to just rotate it to the rear of the car and keep on trucking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back