Would you pay $250/mo for a parking spot?

San Francisco is .... all over the place from the quiet suburb of Sunset to the dumpster fire of Tenderloin. Which one of the 2 is it?

I think many tenants my parents have would pay more than $250 to park in Inner Richmond when you might need to loop around for 20 mins to find a street parking. It is not about the car but more about the convenience of having easy access, regardless of a beater or a Lambo.

You guys need to behave and focus on whether $250 is a good value for parking instead of whether you like to live in SF or not.

It's the cost of living in high density cities. $1,750/mo (Apartment and parking) is a pittance for a city like SF. Besides what is her alternative?
People choose different lifestyle and career. You usually end up where you are location wise because of those 2, different stroke for different folks.

Last edited:
Even if it's no safer, it's close to her building which makes carrying stuff much easier. Time saving too, not having to drive around looking for a space, and trying to remember where she left it. It would be a no-brainer. If my daughter was in the exact same situation, I would insist on it even if I had to pay for it.
Naw, circling for a spot is a sport in itself. Trains you to be sharp in finding a spot and being good at parallel parking. And remembering where you parked also keeps you sharp. When you're not home you have to park it someplace and remember where you parked it anyway.

" Our overpriced registration fees should cover parking and tolls "

Why stop there Chris? Overpriced registration fees should cover gas, insurance and our children's braces....and a swimming pool...and....and
And weren't you the guy who said employees ask for raises while smoking cigarettes while getting tattoos?
Why are you being a jerk?

If I made tech money in san francisco, then sure $250/month is fine. I'm happily paying $4k/month for my apartment rental so no big deal!
In my neck of the woods, $250/year rents you an acre or two of nice farm land! I guess you need 4wd to park on it year round.

when my son went to college and had an apt, he asked me if the $100 a month cost to park inside the apt was worth it. i told him its worth every penny. finding parking on the street is very difficult if not impossible . and the city rash like scraped bumpers and vandalism make it with. its $3 a day for peace of mind.

$250 sound like a lot, but in city like SF , i would pay it in a heart beat. $8.50 a day for not running around looking for parking etc is worth it .

I can barely stomach parking at soldier field, I think the last time I went up there for a concert it was $30 or $40… but I can also easily park 15+ vehicles in my front yard and not have to play “musical cars” to get people back out.

But…. The sheer convenience makes me think yeah, if I lived there I’d definitely do it.

There may be something to this, there was a murder on the set of upcoming Law and Order episides in New York City and the news report I heard said that it was over a parking spot.

People choose different lifestyle and career. You usually end up where you are location wise because of those 2, different stroke for different folks.
I was just skimming the thread to see if the OP ever came back to tell us where she worked. If it's in someplace far away like Gilroy or Pleasanton than she's just living there for the lifestyle. Hopefully she is much closer that that! But I am spolied by my own 4-mile commute.

I was just skimming the thread to see if the OP ever came back to tell us where she worked. If it's in someplace far away like Gilroy or Pleasanton than she's just living there for the lifestyle. Hopefully she is much closer that that! But I am spolied by my own 4-mile commute.
Nobody works in Gilroy but lives in San Francisco, that's 2 hours commute each way and 2x the rent.

I wouldn't pay $250/m for a car.

You asked...

But heck, I can see your point. Worst case you are buying disposable cars. heh...

Nobody works in Gilroy but lives in San Francisco, that's 2 hours commute each way and 2x the rent.
I know; I chose it as a ridiculous example but it could be done by train if need be.

Reminds me of my boss who used to live in one of Chicago's trendiest and most-hip neighborhoods but reverse-commuted out to the office in the west suburbs. Horrible traffic every day, and rain added an hour to his commute no matter what. If it snowed, he usually just stayed home.

Install a pull-out stereo, if they still make them.
For some unknown reason, she is fixated on having a backup camera. All of the large screen aftermarket radios do not have a pull-out option.

How much does she use her car? What is the street parking like in her area? If she can go car less then it maybe worth trying that, but if she needs it then I would keep the parking spot. If you want to live in the big city then you're going to pay for it.

Just go with no radio and don't keep anything in your car maybe?

This!
Sell the car, and use the proceeds plus the $250 + whatever her costs for insurance, tags, etcetera are to rent a car when she needs one if it's a feasible solution.
Street parking is brutal in her area, but she has been managing.

She was without a car for years, but finally decided to get one this year because it is convenient for her recreational activities. She uses it several times a month.
What other options are there for her to park, near her appartment?
Street parking is the only option.

She works in SF as well, but technically she doesn't have to live there. She lives there by choice.

I'm sure there are times when street parking is non existent and she has to park and hike . At night or in inclement weather that can be a hassle . I would gladly pay for a guaranteed parking spot .

Back