Would you have a problem with a reputable shop performing a coolant flush without factory (Honda) coolant?

Super easy to do yourself, but if you have them do it, make sure you specify this:
1699100486782.png

I use whatever pink is cheapest when I do my 4Runner, typically either Peak or Zerex.

I would just do it at home and use Napa RTU1EXT. It is often on sale (like now) and no need to flush, just drain and refill. I've got this in several Asian cars I service, including Honda, Toyota and Subaru. Really no need to pay more for the Asian-specific formulas. I've been using various house-brand extended life universal coolants for about 16 years now, no issues whatsoever.

RTU1EXT.jpg

Last edited:
I would just do it at home and use Napa RTU1EXT. It is often on sale (like now) and no need to flush, just drain and refill. I've got this in several Asian cars I service, including Honda, Toyota and Subaru. Really no need to pay more for the Asian-specific formulas. I've been using various house-brand extended life universal coolants for about 16 years now, no issues whatsoever.

View attachment 187005
Me too
So overblown on honda forums.
They think the engine will die if non oem coolant is used.
Its laughable.

While any coolant might work, I have definitely walked away from buying a Honda or two when I looked in the coolant and found it some other color other than blue.

If you plan on keeping the car forever, then have at it, but I'll always use a blue-colored aftermarket coolant. There's no reason not to these days. It isn't hard to find, and it is no more expensive that any other coolant. Currently have Zerex in the Acura and Reochem in the Honda.

I have zero facts or info on this, but I've always aligned with OEM fluids or aftermarket for the specific car. For instance, the aftermarket fluid that matches the OEM specs (as someone above posted the NAPA that matches with various manufacturers). You can probably just use the universal "will work in anything" fluids, but for the same (or similar) price it helps me sleep better. So why not make the closest match?

I've also often found OEM fluids aren't horrifically more expensive, given things like coolant are often every 5ish years or so.

With that said, an independent shop did a drain and fill of my wife's Forester CVT and I was ok with them using non-Subaru, as the fluid they said they were using was meant for Subaru CVT's (they told me the brand and I looked it up, too).

I would get them to at least use Zerex Asian because that’s actually the same formula, not just the color. Napa coolant could be just rebranded Prestone product with the correct color.
At the very least I would do the research on Napa coolant. If it’s the same formula which should be PHOAT then it’s fine.
I agree, the price is cheap enough. I've had several "long life" coolants in the 2009 Honda CR-V EX AWD. Honda brand blue, Peak brand green, O'Reilly brand green, Zerex Asian blue, and now Super Tech amber. My coolant changes always end up with interesting color combinations. It's now at 185k+ miles on the odometer and I was most confident in Zerex Asian. I'll switch back to it next time. I had a jug and half of Wal-Mart sitting around from another car and did the change after a cross country trip.

Napa has house brand Asian coolant, so if they actually use Napa Asian blue, it's OK. It is the same as Peak OET Asian blue.

Just confirm they actually use that and not the generic coolants Napa also sells. :sneaky:

I would get them to at least use Zerex Asian because that’s actually the same formula, not just the color. Napa coolant could be just rebranded Prestone product with the correct color.
At the very least I would do the research on Napa coolant. If it’s the same formula which should be PHOAT then it’s fine.

Napa coolant is Peak.

I guess I am a little more OCD than everyone else.

I won't use coolant with 2-EHA in it. So if I don't know for sure, I won't put it in.

I also don't love "fits everything" coolants because there typically OAT's - which simply don't last as long. However I could live with an OAT - without 2-EHA - if it was a shop I liked to patronize. But I would probably not run it more than 50K absolute max.

Back