Would you buy a rebuilt flooded car?

Took my Bride out in my "flooded" S class for dinner tonight for her birthday. Can't believe how well this German engineered car is to drive; that I paid less than what the sales tax costs new. About to hit the bed, will review the OP's car tomorrow morning. These pictures were taken just a minute ago.

PS- every car enthusiast should own a German engineered car at least once in their life.

View attachment 152796View attachment 152795View attachment 152797
And that's the one in thousands I'd get if the price was right and the restoration done that properly.

I wouldn't buy a flooded car, rebuilt or not. It likely is destined for a lifetime of intermittent electrical issues, especiall if it were dunked in salt water.

Took my Bride out in my "flooded" S class for dinner tonight for her birthday. Can't believe how well this German engineered car is to drive; that I paid less than what the sales tax costs new. About to hit the bed, will review the OP's car tomorrow morning. These pictures were taken just a minute ago.

PS- every car enthusiast should own a German engineered car at least once in their life.

View attachment 152796View attachment 152795View attachment 152797

Good thing about Benzes are they are so tightly built they tend to float. like a boat... right to high ground... instead of filling with water.:) :)

I would buy one if I could spend $5k-$10k for a nice car and would not bother me if I got scrap value if it did not work out .

Seems like a viable purchase if you are don’t care about losing purchase price and have fault tolerance for problems.

I stumbled across a small dealer’s website here in KY that has flood damaged cars as maybe 90% of their inventory.

I’m curious where all the cars came from; my guess is the hurricane last fall. If I had access to an unlimited CarFax account I would run some of the VINs to find out.

Would you buy a drowned car? How much of a discount would you have to get before you were willing to take the gamble? I presume older cars would be better bets as they have fewer electronic systems that are essential to basic operation.
I guess it depends on the vehicle. Ed Bolian scored a great deal on his " flooded " Lamborghini Gallardo. Come to find out it only sat in water, and wasn't completely submerged.

Elkins,

I would take a pass on the vehicles you listed in your original post. A few reasons, but the top reason is that one doesn't know the work performed to rebuild the flooded vehicle. Being the dealer specializes in these type of vehicles, I have to go on the assumption that the minimal amount of time and effort is done to get these vehicles sellable.

To purchase a flooded vehcile, the first step is to puchase both a carfax and a epicvin and analasise the information. Next step would be to detrmine what the flood was. Did the vehicle get driven into the Ohio river and towed out? Or was the sunroof left open while it was raining. Next, when did the flood event happen, and how long was the vehicle sitting with water in the interior before the water and related damage was removed.

I love buying flooded vehicles, but one has to be very selective, do a ton of homework, and not be in a hurry to get the vehicle roadworthy.

I stumbled across a small dealer’s website here in KY that has flood damaged cars as maybe 90% of their inventory.

I’m curious where all the cars came from; my guess is the hurricane last fall. If I had access to an unlimited CarFax account I would run some of the VINs to find out.

Would you buy a drowned car? How much of a discount would you have to get before you were willing to take the gamble? I presume older cars would be better bets as they have fewer electronic systems that are essential to basic operation.
NEVER.....

In my book there's three kinds of water- freshwater, saltwater and sewer. I might buy the freshwater damaged car- but it would have to meet some requirements.

If the car only had water covering the bottom but not high enough to flood inside then you're likely okay. Look for dirt under the carpeting. Some "flood" vehicles are a steal if they weren't really flooded.

If the car only had water covering the bottom but not high enough to flood inside then you're likely okay. Look for dirt under the carpeting. Some "flood" vehicles are a steal if they weren't really flooded.
I have seen this hint on here often. It would seem (to me) if one is looking to offload a flood vehicle to someone without disclosing it (or making it look like the water level never reached the floor boards) the first thing they would do is clean under the carpets. Because if I have seen this suggestion they have too.

I always tell the story of my buddy who purchased 2 35th anniversary Camaro SS from hurricane Katrina. He did the fluids dried everything and they have been solid. Both were flooded over the pedals. You have to figure out how long they sat and how high the water got. Like I said both of his have been awesome but he took his time with them.

Does VW count? Because if that is the case I'm out.
Is that because of your encounter with one?
If so, I understand.

I had one years ago, a 3 door '84 Rabbit L with stick.
Was fantastically fun to drive around town yet consistently broken, regardless of the amount of new OEM parts I used to repair it with.
My suspicion is that it's Mexican build may have something to do with it's reliability.
:unsure:

Back