Would like some opinions here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guy`s, I changed the oil in my Cub Cadet LT-1046 this past weekend. It has the 20hp Kohler Courage V-twin that calls for 10W-30 motor oil. I didnt have any 10W-30 on hand, and I wanted to try something different from the GC (which I have been using in it since new) I looked in my stash and I saw the Mobil-1 5W-30 High Millage. I thought to myself, hey, thats a thick 30 weight so why not give it a try? So I did, my grass isnt growing enough yet to cut, so I have to wait a few more weeks to try it out. Do you all think this oil was a good choice?

Toyota stipulated 10-30 OR 5-30 for their engines for years. They suggested 5-30 provided better starting in cold weather. Despite that I use T6 5-40 in a couple of "higher" milage Toyotas.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Toyota stipulated 10-30 OR 5-30 for their engines for years. They suggested 5-30 provided better starting in cold weather. Despite that I use T6 5-40 in a couple of "higher" milage Toyotas.

So you think i`m alright then?

We run the straight 30 from Rotella in everything in the garage. From the pressure washer to our Cub. I'm curious the responses you'll receive using a HM oil in a small engine.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Do you all think this oil was a good choice?

It won't hurt a thing. When I've been out of Rotella I've used everything from 5W-30 to 10W-40 in my small engines. However, in my opinion the synthetic is overkill for small engines, but not harmful.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig

How does that relate to the engine in his Cub Cadet?

Ive poured alot of different stuff in my mowers. I would think the HM would be a awesome choice. Im running honda 10w40 in my genny. Just because i had an opened litre. Im running delo 400 15w40 in the other genny's and my mower.

It seems that Toyota Motor Company, with a reputation for making long life engines, did not have a problem with interghanging the two grades. Since the tractor company stipulated one of the grades Toyota deemed interchangable, logic would suggest they are interchangable for the tractor as well. This is NOT a 0-20 vs 20--50 question. The differences are slight. Only the OCD would try to make an issue out of it. Maybe you can.

Last edited:
The 5W30 will be fine. I use it in pretty much all of my air cooled 4 strokes except for one really old one that usually gets 30 weight. None of them are lucky enough to get Mobil 1.

Thanks for the replies guy`s. I am curious to see how it runs at wot cutting the grass this summer on my .77 acre lot.

Last edited:
Lexus,

I ran 15w40 in the Courage V-twin 20 on my 2010 model year Cub Z-Force mower. In fact, Cub recommended 15w40 for this engine, in this application right in the owner's manual. Strange..yes, because it goes against Kohler's 'blanket' 10w30 spec that they've had for decades.

I know the Kohler Courage single cyl engines took a bad wrap early on, but the V-twins are fine engines. I actually liked the way my Courage ran, over the Command 20 in my Cub 2544.

Joel

Last edited:
Joel, I agree the Courage V-twin does run very well. As far as longevity....well that remains to be seen. Oh, my yard is .77, not 1.77 I made a mistake on that.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Joel, I agree the Courage V-twin does run very well. As far as longevity....well that remains to be seen. Oh, my yard is .77, not 1.77 I made a mistake on that.

That's about all I have anymore.

We went from over 1.5 acres of grass cutting to 0.9 acres, about half of which needs to be mowed. I miss my Cubs! Gave the 2544 to my FIL and sold the Z-Force on CL last year in all of about an hour or three.

Joel

I cut a Approx. .5 acre with the Cub. The rest is my Toro push mower. Thats been a good mower so far too.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
The 5W30 will be fine. I use it in pretty much all of my air cooled 4 strokes except for one really old one that usually gets 30 weight. None of them are lucky enough to get Mobil 1.

I hear ya. I bought the MB-1 HM for the RX. But I since switched to the 5W-20. And the wife`s car gets the 0W-40, so I figured....what the Heck.

Originally Posted By: JTK

I know the Kohler Courage single cyl engines took a bad wrap early on, but the V-twins are fine engines.

Agreed. I have seen the single cylinders have some pretty catastrophic failures with holes in the block and such, but the v twins are very solid engines.

i have been in the lawn care bussiness for over ten years, the courage is a new beast to the market. i have owned four command v-twins one had over 5,500hrs, two over 4000hrs and last one had 2975hrs on it when sold, all still running. I used 15w-40 wolfheads syn-blend oil, dual remote ford filters, changed every 150hrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back