Would like input on which starter brand for my truck

1978 chevrolet k20 5.7. The starter solenoid sort of disintegrated today so i need a new starter. I have included the link to the rockauto page. I am also not opposed to the autoparts store starters. If i do go with the autoparts store should i just get the 1 year as the gm 10mt starters are pretty reliable or should i get the lifetime warranty ones. Does anyone know who remanufactures the starters for advance or autozone? I also dont want to be changing lifetime warranty starters all the time if they suck.

When my Biscayne needed a starter I just got one from Carquest/ AAP with coupon, $42.

Mine was the 250-6 but I think it fits V8s too. Notably, the "third hole" in the middle of the motor for a little brace wasn't tapped, so it held on by the two by the bellhousing. It worked fine, but I'd have preferred to involve the brace.

It was convenient, cheap, and turned the car over just fine. I think they've figured out how to build, and rebuild, this model by now.

I imagine the cores travel by slow boat to Mexico or beyond.

I suspect the two warranties cover the same literal part. I'd get the one-year warranty on principle.

I have a buddy with an '80 square body and the O'Reilly/Parts City starters are not reliable. He's been thru a few. I'd at least get a LT warranty, not 1 yr

I would sell the genuine GM reman in my shop. I have little confidence in aftermarket rotating electrical. I do not sell aftermarket reman rotating electrical, if I have to go the aftermarket route I go new.

Have a lifetime starter from AutoZone and it's going on its 8th year, this is on my 83 squarebody 305.

My feeling for aftermarket parts are. If they are easy to replace, I'll use a cheaper part so long as it does the job. If it is a nightmare, I'll get the best I can, usually OEM. Starters, I've generally had good luck with the parts store brands. Haven't had one leave me stranded yet.

Without any doubt the BOSCH SR518N New. Check the lifetime warranty out along with Roadside assistance. Chances are is Made in the Bosch factory in Hungary.

• Built to withstand the harshest environments
  • Designed in fit and performance to meet OE starters.
  • Free 24-hour Roadside Assistance Protection with purchase* of any Bosch Starter**
  • Premium starting performance

New Chinese(TYC) or Bosch/Remy. Reman electrical is a crapshoot. Remy and BBB rule that market, and it’s divided between China, Mexico or Indonesia.

I have a buddy with an '80 square body and the O'Reilly/Parts City starters are not reliable. He's been thru a few. I'd at least get a LT warranty, not 1 yr
Back when I worked at a kragen auto parts store the lifetime ones had all new Chinese parts in them and were junk. The 1 year ones had OEM parts that tested good,new brushes or whatever and seemed to be fine.

Go figure.

Gm rebuilt, put a new Remy on my 93 C1500 5.7l last year and replaced the 1st one in 2 months and last one went out in 9 months. Returned for reman GM and it has been fine.

Im pretty sure its only the solenoid thats bad. I think im going to take my starter apart and check the condition. If its good ill just replace the solenoid. If its not good i think ill either go with a good used unit or get the bosch. There are a lot of original units on ebay for cheap i can buy and clean up and install.

Convert to a mini planetary reduction starter, GM# 10465167 or Bosch# SR8552N.

Use Starter Bolts.....GM part# 12338064, Or ARP part# 430-3507.
GM bolts are sold individually, ARP is a set of 2.
how does this design compare to the 10mt. What are the pros and cons?

Do you think this is a job a good starter/alternator repair shop could handle?
probably but fixing it myself would be pretty easy or i would just get another one. I think for the low cost of starters a electric motor shop would cost more than just buying a starter.

how does this design compare to the 10mt. What are the pros and cons?

Smaller, Lighter, & More Torque at a lower amperage..... They do not require a Brace like the Aluminum nosed/Block mounted 10MT which were usually thrown away upon the first starter R&R.

The ONLY con is planetary reduction starters Do Not handle Ignition Timing related "Kick-Backs" very well.

Smaller, Lighter, & More Torque at a lower amperage..... They do not require a Brace like the Aluminum nosed/Block mounted 10MT which were usually thrown away upon the first starter R&R.

The ONLY con is planetary reduction starters Do Not handle Ignition Timing related "Kick-Backs" very well.
cool. my truck is fuel injected and i have not had any timing kickbacks yet. What about the bolts. I was reading an article that talked about the bolt holes in the starter are metric but im sure my bolt threads are 3/8. Do they make a 3/8-16 thread with metric size shaft so the starter wont twist?

What he says. I have one on my 96 Roadmaster wagon (82k miles) LT1 engine. Lightening fast starting. Borrowed from LT1 corvette which had them oem.
Also added upgraded cables......the big 3.

And it sounds cool. To bad it is so quick.

I hate wimpy starters 😒

Last edited:
Back