Would buy a used BMW with their extended OCI .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lately I have been toying with the idea of getting a used BMW in the next year or so.It would be a 3 or 5 series. I would look to get one about 4 years old with about 40k on it. What do you think of its long term duarability with BMW's long OCI. I usually keep a car to 200k

The other day, I was sitting at a red light, and a new-looking BMW 3 series stopped beside me. That thing's engine was ticking so loudly, it almost made me cry. No doubt from neglect from the idiot owner, but still......

I would be VERY PICKY when buying a used BMW. Look carefully at the engine internals through the oil fill hole. If there is anything more than a very light brown stain on things, I would RUN the other way.

IMO, too many people buy BMW's for the image, and forget about routine maintenance like oil changes. "It cost $40K, it shouldn't need any maintenance" seems to be all too common with vehicles like this.......IMO.

Before my wife purchased her '04 Mercedes in '07, you better believe that I put on the rubber glove & gave that thing a full exam. So far, so good.

I agree that the extended OCI creates many questions. I would talk to the previous owner. Review all maintenance records and have a pre-purchase inspection by another dealer or independent mechanic. If no information-walk if not run away from the car. As said, be very picky.

Also, a 4 year old 5 series means you are looking at the e60 series which has had many recall on the electronics/I-drive system.

If you find one you like, especially if not cetrtified by a BMW dealer, purchase a high quality extended warrenty that covers electronics as well as drive train.

Originally Posted By: raaizin
Lately I have been toying with the idea of getting a used BMW in the next year or so.It would be a 3 or 5 series. I would look to get one about 4 years old with about 40k on it. What do you think of its long term duarability with BMW's long OCI. I usually keep a car to 200k

I bought a 4-year old 5-series with 30k miles that seem to have followed the BMW extended OCI. First thing I did was run AutoRx in it, just to be safe.

All in all, the engine seems to be in great shape. Electrical stuff on the other hand...

Buy a Lexus bro. I love Bimmer too but they are super high maintenance items that aren't that durable.

i havent seen any in my 91 318i.

My father's 89 corolla had more lousy poor lasting items.

JMH

My female friend (previous car was a purple civic that was totally devastated from neglect, moreso than ANY other civic I ever saw, every panel dented, broken trim and lights, needed to add 20w-50 3 quarts at a time when I saw her, dirty windows and interior) her husband got her a new BMW on lease. She drive short trips on Boston, a tough circuit. When in town I offered to check out teh BMW and even use my extractor to change the oil to anything they wanted, even free Delo 30, to get them to the next service. Husband declined, citing that he's a lawyer and if anything goes wrong, he'll sue. Well, the car was 2 years old with like 18k....still on original oil.

My advice was to get a dealer synth change every fall and let me chaneg it in the summer with 15w-40 to keep it fresh. No thanks was the reply....I dunno if they actually said thanks.

I've railed against the BMW maintenance rec's a bit myself but in reality I don't think it is a serious problem for the majority of cars. I sort of think that it invites problems if the owner was not diligent in following the service rec's as they do exist, or if the car was driven in difficult conditions by a clueless owner, etc.

I would check it out reasonably well and just do a solid dose of maintenance once I bought it.

BMWs can definitely be finicky cars, but the main thing IMO is that they do need to be maintained. They are designed that way, whereas I tend to think domestic and Japanese cars are usually designed with the knowledge that they will have to survive even without rigorous maintenance. I think if you maintain a BMW well it will usually be a fairly trouble free car.

I would be especially careful about buying an automatic, though.

M1Accord said:
Buy a Lexus bro. I love Bimmer too but they are super high maintenance items that aren't that durable. [/quote
Amen to that. I would never buy a BMW used. I don't think I would buy one new unless I was rich...and I'm not!

The maintenance plan a stretch. It appears to keep the costs down for the first owner because BMW is paying the bills. The second owner is not BMW's customer. If you keep cars a long time I think you would be better off stepping on a nail than buying a used BMW.

There's nothing wrong with the BMW maintenance plan. BMWs have relatively larger sumps (7-8 quarts) so their service intervals can be a lot longer.

You folks really need to start getting used to the longer service intervals that are used outside of North America.

Nothing wrong with doing inbetween oem oil changes. The thing owners don't get is that a well-maintained car performs better than one with gunked-up internals.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
There's nothing wrong with the BMW maintenance plan. BMWs have relatively larger sumps (7-8 quarts) so their service intervals can be a lot longer.

But man, that's a lot of money at $6.50 a quart!

Think it'd be OK with the $1/quart "Golden State" API SA oil?

Originally Posted By: brianl703

But man, that's a lot of money at $6.50 a quart!

Think it'd be OK with the $1/quart "Golden State" oil?

Possibly. I think the intervals are possible due to the large sump capacity rather than the oil type.

I think I'd just spend the extra $44 on the manufacturer specified oil. I do on my Saab 93, but then again I'm not leasing it. Someone who leases a vehicle will probably use the cheapest oil (even API SA [censored]) they can assuming they bother to get it changed.

Originally Posted By: brianl703
I think I'd just spend the extra $44 on the manufacturer specified oil. I do on my Saab 93, but then again I'm not leasing it. Someone who leases a vehicle will probably use the cheapest oil (even API SA [censored]) they can assuming they bother to get it changed.

BMW covers the service costs while the vehicle is leased. Most of the car lessees that I know change their oil more often than me!

A big part of the problem is lifetime fluids in non-engine systems and the like. Also the cooling systems can be very problematic and some knowledgeable BMW guys are recommending preventive pump and radiator changes on models built since around '97 or so.

I still think it is more likely a problem after 100k miles or on a neglected car. If an owner skips a maintenance when the intervals are 15k apart you have a problem.

Coolant has never been lifetime fill. A flush is required every four years.

"Fill-for-life" ATF is fine with today's technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back