Would a monster broadcast siren negate the massive rise in carjackings?

It will do nothing. Carry a gun, leave plenty of room between the car ahead of you, and don't open the door or stop for anyone. Run them over and take your chance in court.
Keep the car doors locked and the windows up.

You do realize there are a lot of fruitcakes out there that LEGALLY own firearms, I"m sorry but I don't want to live in the Wild West. I've already stopped making eye contact with strangers because I know that's enough to set some off and you never know who's packin'.
All the more reason to become proficient with a firearm. You aren't going to be safe by just not looking at people.

Just for comparison, Neighborhood Scout has crime rankings on their website. On a scale of 1 to 100 with 100 being the safest,

Chicago has a rank of 10.

Philadelphia has a rank of 8.

New York City has a rank of 19.

Tacoma has a rank of 1. 😵‍💫

Has this changed in recent years? I would have guessed that the Seattle-Tacoma area was really safe.

My wife had a conference in Seattle in 2007 and I tagged along. At no time did either of us feel at all unsafe. Perhaps we were stupid and lucky.

All the more reason to become proficient with a firearm. You aren't going to be safe by just not looking at people.
Even though I haven't shot any of my pistols in while I have many rounds run thru them, at one time I was into reloading .357/.38 and went to a local range a couple times a month until they closed it. They are strategically located around my house do to my wife's job, she helps prosecute bad people and I've always feared one day one would show up.

I just don't want to be in that situation, I have no doubt I could protect my wife and myself if need be, the part I'm not sure about is how I would handle it down the road.

Get a stick shift and let the cards fall where they may.
Thanks, my Wife can't drive a stick shift. She is awesome, much smarter than me (and much, much better looking than me- I over married), and she has incredible talents to include the ability to counsel parents who lost a child, etc.

Self-defense, proactive scanning for threats, etc. is not in her skill sets. She will never be pulling a trigger on a handgun. Possibly hitting a panic button may work for her- the consensus here is that will not stop a carjacker.

Has this changed in recent years? I would have guessed that the Seattle-Tacoma area was really safe.

My wife had a conference in Seattle in 2007 and I tagged along. At no time did either of us feel at all unsafe. Perhaps we were stupid and lucky.

It has really changed around here and it’s sad. I’ve lived in this area for most of my life and this is the worst I have ever witnessed. Even the 80’s-90’s gang wars were not like this. The past five years or so it has really deteriorated.

Thanks, my Wife can't drive a stick shift. She is awesome, much smarter than me (and much, much better looking than me- I over married), and she has incredible talents to include the ability to counsel parents who lost a child, etc.

Self-defense, proactive scanning for threats, etc. is not in her skill sets. She will never be pulling a trigger on a handgun. Possibly hitting a panic button may work for her- the consensus here is that will not stop a carjacker.

If she has to shop in person the Capitol Mall in Olympia might be a good place. It’s been years since I’ve been there though.

The Tacoma Mall and Southcenter are not advisable.

I’d say 99.9% and 3/4 of those cockroaches aren’t proficient with a firearm. Get her a handgun she can comfortably handle and teach her how to use it with impeccable accuracy.

Proficient licensed handgun carriers diffuse these types of situations pretty much 100% of the time.
I am credentialed to carry a handgun. I almost never did unless a special requirement. After an incident in Eastern Washington when I was parking a Penske 26 foot moving truck at a Courtyard by Marriot, I adjusted my mindset and often have protection at the ready.

I totally agree many are not proficient with handguns. That includes both the bad guys and the licensed conceal carry guys. I have seen many conceal carry in Washington without the competency to properly conceal, and I have seen multiple opportunities for the conceal carry holder to be disarmed without their ability to stop it.

windows up
don't open the door
leave space to escape

oh yeah - and #1

Drive a manual transmission!
For years my Wife would lock me out when I would take out the garbage. She is always checking doors to be locked, etc. But tactical driving or a stick shift is not a match for her ever.

Last edited:
I've carried for a long time and aside from having someone follow us in central KCMO at 11pm I have only really needed it when I go back to Wyoming due to the Bears 🐻 and Moose and at that point it's 10mm. Shooting anyone is a lose-lose for everyone. It causes police and military personnel a lifetime of trauma and PTSD. My mom always told us if you need it then use it but don't go looking for a fight and try all possible means to avoid it. You can't defend someone breaking into your car unless your in it. I hope myself and all of you great people out there can make it through your lifetime without ever having to do anything like that.

The “carry gun” as a preventative to carjacking has the problem thsst most carjackers appear with their gun in hand an pointed AT you!

If you then GO FOR YOUR GUN? He has ample time to shoot you to protect HIS life. Isn’t that what you would do in his shoes?

Only TV heroes can out-draw a trigger pull!

The “carry gun” as a preventative to carjacking has the problem thsst most carjackers appear with their gun in hand an pointed AT you!
If you then GO FOR YOUR GUN? He has ample time to shoot you to protect HIS life. Isn’t that what you would do in his shoes?
Only TV heroes can out-draw a trigger pull!
Funny how some think they'd "win" in that situation

Back