Would a monster broadcast siren negate the massive rise in carjackings?

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Carjackings are on a massive increase. Solutions for a handgun response is not always feasible for a multitude of reasons.

Would a aftermarket " panic button" that BLASTED" a booming message be a way to counter car jackings? Have the panic button programmed so it can only be turned off with a key after certain amount of time like 15 minutes.

Seems not to expensive for the parts and the installation would be likely simple.

My Wife is now concerned about being carjacked if she goes shopping in Tacoma. It was our main conversation this morning before I left for the airport. She became concerned after reading about the skyward trens in carjackings.

I was trying to find something to counter the rise in carjackings for a person who is not fluent in handgun operations.

Guess I will just have to see if PIMTAC can take her shopping while I am working out of town.

Sorry, but deterrence of an armed, focused individual would take more than sound, I would think. No matter how loud. They’re willing to use lethal force, so, why would sound deter them? The shock of it might cause a startle, but in that startle is great risk. People who are startled (amygdala hijack) experience many things, including adrenaline spike, strength increase, breathing and heart rate increase, loss of cognitive ability, loss of peripheral vision, and critically for this discussion, auditory exclusion.

So, you trigger a flight or fight response, in an armed individual, whose brain is now excluding auditory inputs, and you have just upped your risk of getting shot considerably.

Not sure my car is worth the elevated risk.

There is this thing called grocery pickup. Walmart has it, Kroger Markets have it, and I'm sure whatever supermarket chain that is prevalent in Washington probably has pick up. This limits her liability. Kroger has also started delivery in some markets.

9mm. Magnetic mount on the lower driver's side of center console, or under the steering wheel if it isn't in the path of a knee airbag.

I was trying to find something to counter the rise in carjackings for a person who is not fluent in handgun operations.
Even if she carried a gun, the carjacker has the element of surprise and the "victim" won't be able to pull their gun out. If they try and the carjacker is serious / stupid / crazy enough, the victim will probably be seriously injured or dead or if they're lucky, the shooter misses.

Is your car or her car worth it ? Give up the car. I'm not a pacifist either.

I’d say 99.9% and 3/4 of those cockroaches aren’t proficient with a firearm. Get her a handgun she can comfortably handle and teach her how to use it with impeccable accuracy.

Proficient licensed handgun carriers diffuse these types of situations pretty much 100% of the time.

Sorry, but deterrence of an armed, focused individual would take more than sound, I would think. No matter how loud. They’re willing to use lethal force, so, why would sound deter them? The shock of it might cause a startle, but in that startle is great risk. People who are startled (amygdala hijack) experience many things, including adrenaline spike, strength increase, breathing and heart rate increase, loss of cognitive ability, loss of peripheral vision, and critically for this discussion, auditory exclusion.

So, you trigger a flight or fight response, in an armed individual, whose brain is now excluding auditory inputs, and you have just upped your risk of getting shot considerably.

Not sure my car is worth the elevated risk.
All valid points. I think it would be more effective if there were a delay in activation. Let bad guy get around the corner with the car before it goes off and discourages him from staying inside.

I could see liability being an issue. "My innocent client who only borrowed the car because he was so deperate to get to the college so he could enrol and turn his life around, lost control due to the noise and that's why the pedestrian is dead."

I’d say 99.9% and 3/4 of those cockroaches aren’t proficient with a firearm. Get her a handgun she can comfortably handle and teach her how to use it with impeccable accuracy.

Proficient licensed handgun carriers diffuse these types of situations pretty much 100% of the time.
Really? now she's sitting in the car with handgun, and there's a desperate and/or dumb and/or high, guy 3' away with his gun pointed at her? He has freedom of movement, who can duck out of her visual range instantly and get some low risk shots at her while his centre of mass is impossible for her hit.... Does being a licensed proficient handgun carrier give her 9 lives?
Some days my wife isn't my favorite person either, but I'm not telling her to pull a gun on an armed car jacker.

1. If your vehicle doesn't have auto locking doors (when you put it into drive), lock them....even before you put your seat belt on.
(On many vehicles, the auto locking feature will unlock either the driver door or all doors when placed in Park...you might be able to change this...see owner's manual...you want the doors to stay locked until the engine is turned off or just manually unlock it.)

2. Have chameleon eyes...I mean be mindful of your surroundings and stay off that phone. Situation awareness. When I go to a drive through (food or ATM...especially, ATM) or stop at a red light...I take a look around, check mirrors and yes, tried to keep a decent space between me and the vehicle in front of me.

3. Vehicle can be replaced, but not your wife...so, it is worth a fight??? (If my kid was in the vehicle, then I would feel different)...BUT

4. as for me, I am armed. GUN OWNERSHIP AND USE HAS BIG BIG RESPONSIBILITIES AND LIABILITIES...BE AWARE OF THEM. You might consider something less lethal like pepper spray or tazers.

5. As much as we would like to believe (that we are) we are not in complete control of our lives...too many variables (and ****holes) that can impact our lives at any given moment...

6. Alternate...move.

Back