Would a mainline narrow body CPT take double hourly pay to fly a MD11

I’m from Memphis (FDX HQ), and became friends with a couple of FDX pilots through riding motorcycles, one of whom used to fly the MD-11, and now flies the 777.

He‘s a former USAF C-141 pilot.

He loved flying the MD-11. But he also just loves flying and owns 2 private aircraft…one of which has a “PT-6ski“ engine - built in Czech Republic.

So, he loves to fly, and gets a lot of stick time.
It seems most pilots hard core love flying. I just got off the phone to wish my retired airline pilot friend Merry Christmas [He called me first last year] and the first thing that came out of his mouth was " Merry Christmas I am still flying the Cessna Citation"
My usual response was , that is a the beginners jet !

It seems most pilots hard core love flying. I just got off the phone to wish my retired airline pilot friend Merry Christmas [He called me first last year] and the first thing that came out of his mouth was " Merry Christmas I am still flying the Cessna Citation"
My usual response was , that is a the beginners jet !
Depends on which Citation!

Depends on which Citation!
chev citation.jpg

MD11's went out of passenger service primarily due to not meeting their targets on fuel efficiency and range. The new generation of two engine widebody airplanes offered better fuel efficiency and could also hit the range targets (especially as ETOPS ranges were allowed to be longer - note the MD11 went into production in 1988 - the same year ETOPS operations at 180 minutes were allowed).

That being said they offer many things that make them effective cargo haulers. The pilots I know who have flown them all liked them well enough. The issue these days is that it mean flying cargo - which is not for everyone. Works for some, but not for others....

Back