Would a Fram be bad for my Jetta?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
My oem filters are almost half the cost of Frams at Walmart.

Walmart online can have much lower prices than the stores. I bought my last one for $10.50 online, store price around $17. Dealer price about $20 but this is for Toyota ones(with a 20% off coupon). Cabin filters are the same way as far as pricing goes.

Stick to the OEM filter. The Fram could work, but with the high bypass spec of the OEM filter and the bad rap VW dealers get, you don't need to give them a reason to complicate a warranty claim if you needed to.

Subaru calls for high bypass PSIs to cope with oil volume, I wouldn't be surprised if VW is using a high-flow oil pump to move more oil through the turbo.

Originally Posted By: nthach
Stick to the OEM filter. The Fram could work, but with the high bypass spec of the OEM filter and the bad rap VW dealers get, you don't need to give them a reason to complicate a warranty claim if you needed to.

Subaru calls for high bypass PSIs to cope with oil volume, I wouldn't be surprised if VW is using a high-flow oil pump to move more oil through the turbo.
Im wondering the same I have a Legacy GT and I have two Fram ultra XG7317's I think the bypass setting is 13 or something like that.. How much of a big deal is this going to be?

Originally Posted By: MikeB4rsk
Im wondering the same I have a Legacy GT and I have two Fram ultra XG7317's I think the bypass setting is 13 or something like that.. How much of a big deal is this going to be?

Wix makes a good filter for your Subaru as well as the OP's Jetta
smile.gif

Someone here talked to the Fram rep here(Motorking is his name) and said in the Subaru's case, the 7317s should work fine. Something about the delta of pressure across the element. Fram does make a "correct" filter for Subarus(as well as the OEM filter) but oddly enough it's not specified across the board as many call for 3593A/6607/7317 filters.

you can get 5 or 10 packs of Mann filters from places like www.ecstuning.com

If you're going with the 5000 mile OCI, then the OCOD is sufficient. If you're sticking to VW's 10,000 mile OCI, then you need the Ultra.

For my car, the Ultra is over $30 for the filter, and I pay around $13 on Amazon for a Mann

Someone here talked to the Fram rep here(Motorking is his name) and said in the Subaru's case, the 7317s should work fine. Something about the delta of pressure across the element. Fram does make a "correct" filter for Subarus(as well as the OEM filter) but oddly enough it's not specified across the board as many call for 3593A/6607/7317 filters.
Yes I remember that thread when I was lurking it was the bigger size of the other model they had that was spec'd for the stock Subaru size so I ended up with the larger size filters.

Find out who makes the OEM filter and buy it online somewhere for cheaper. The dealer will always be more expensive. Parts markup and service is how dealers make most of their profit.

The OEM filter for my GF's BMW is a MANN filter with a BMW box. The filter from the dealer was like $18, the exact same MANN from WalMart is much cheaper.

If it were my VW 1.4T I'd run Castrol Edge Euro 0w40 and an OEM filter.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Find out who makes the OEM filter and buy it online somewhere for cheaper. The dealer will always be more expensive. Parts markup and service is how dealers make most of their profit.

The OEM filter for my GF's BMW is a MANN filter with a BMW box. The filter from the dealer was like $18, the exact same MANN from WalMart is much cheaper.

If it were my VW 1.4T I'd run Castrol Edge Euro 0w40 and an OEM filter.
VW oil filters are also made by MANN. Although Walmart doesn't sell Mann here. Probably gonna do 0w-40 with in Pennzoil or Castrol.

Originally Posted By: danez_yoda
The orange can is a detonation fuse!!!! AAAAHHHHH!!!!! run for the choppa!!!!

lol.gif

The biggest problem with Orange Frams is the anti-drainback valve sometimes causes problems with startup valve train noise. If you get that noise you are causing small amounts of harm to the engine with the dry start. People can whine about the cardboard end caps and "wavey" elements but they are fine for 5K OCI.

If you're just looking for a cheap filter that is readily available, Fram orange with all of its shortcomings fits the bill. If you already bought one dont toss it, go ahead for one OCI and see how the engine likes it. For a few dollars more per can you can buy a much better built filter.

If you don't mind buying in lots of 5 or 10, you can usually find OEM on Ebay for very reasonable prices.

Uhmm, did you look at the pictures of the filters the OP posted? It was a Fram Ultra.

Yes, a FRAM would be bad for your Jetta.

Euro applications appear challenging for the FRAM design team.

Stick to the German OEM manufacturers for your filters.

Amazon is a good source.

When these "good, bad, ugly" debates come around - and I'm not sure of the bad / best - I'll add my 0.02: I'm using FU mainly and M1 spin on as well - but the 12 pack of (US made) Hengst cartridge filters have been awesome. Just as tight/straight at 8k as 5k - like they went in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back