Worst Wearing Tire You Have Ever Owned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Michelin that were new and Barum that were on a used car I bought. Both were crap for different reasons, the Michelin wore quicker than dedicated hi performance summer tires even though they were an all season.
The Barum were the worst thing I ever experienced, in rain it was like driving on wet ice, they were off after the first drive in the rain.

Originally Posted by JLTD
From that wear it looks like she's gassing it when she starts off going around right hand corners.

Worst tires for me were the Goodyear Wrangler ST I had on the 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee....got it with 18000 miles and replaced the tires shortly thereafter - they were worn on the edges so badly there was almost no tread left.

No wonder with 340BB UTQG.
The Continentals are UTQG 280 AA A--seriously POS for the cost.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
The set of Continental ContiSport Contact 5 SSR tires on my wife's 2018 Mercedes C300 has set a new record for me. They are 225/40R19 on the front @ $310 each and 255/35R19 on the rear @ $270 each (if I chose to replace them with the same POS tires--which I will not). I plan to replace them with Goodyear (similar to those on my AMG) or Pirelli.

Her car is 1 year and 1 month old with 13,103 miles on it and here are the tread depths:

RF = 4/32"
LF = 3/32"
LR = 2/32"
RR = 1/32"

For clarity, there are no alignment or mechanical issues with the car and my wife is certainly not a Maria Andretti with her driving style. This is by far the worst performance and durability I have ever experienced on any tire in any price range. The Continentals stole the old record from a set of OEM Michelin Primacy's in 235/55R17 on the 2006 Hyundai Azera we previously owned.

You realize that you have the optional sport package with 19" runflat tires ?. They are rated at 280 AA A, so I would have expected you to get 20-30k miles out of them in average driving. Here are the original tires-

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...%20Sedan&autoModClar=Sport%20Package

The only tires I see on Tirerack with long treadlife ( > 300 UTQA) and also runflat in the size you need are the following-

Last edited:
Originally Posted by rubberchicken
You realize that you have the optional sport package with 19" runflat tires ?. They are rated at 280 AA A, so I would have expected you to get 20-30k miles out of them in average driving. Here are the original tires-

The only tires I see on Tirerack with long treadlife ( > 300 UTQA) and also runflat in the size you need are the following-

Yes, of course I do and if I had managed 20-30K out of them I would not have given them the "worst wearing tires I have ever owned" award--they truly are expensive POS. My wife does not drive agressively and for them to be completely worn out at 13K is nothing short of ludicrous. Those are the Pirelli's that I am looking at.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Originally Posted by rubberchicken

Yes, of course I do and if I had managed 20-30K out of them I would not have given them the "worst wearing tires I have ever owned" award--they truly are expensive POS. My wife does not drive agressively and for them to be completely worn out at 13K is nothing short of ludicrous. Those are the Pirelli's that I am looking at.

Aftermarket SSR would probably be better. Actually Tire Rack did test of Pirelli Scorpion Verde (OE) and Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus (aftermarket).
Aftermarket had better longevity and performance, but worse mpg.
SSR on MB are definiately tuned for MB specifications. The question is: what are those specifications? Would not be surprised that mpg and absolutely best braking+handling performance were imperative to impress EPA+reviewers.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Falken.

Wow, some of these responses surprise me. My favorite mainstream brand is now Falken after having my set of Ziex ZE912s on the SS. They went way past their rated mileage (on a V8 sports car!), wore perfectly even, and still had life left when I replaced them. Gripped phenomenally in any condition, and handled light snow wonderfully even at 2/32". Replaced them with Ziex ZE950s. Both were some of the best tires I've owned. Period. Bought several pairs since then. All stellar. BFGoodrich is probably truly my favorite brand, but actually #2 due to the cost of ownership. Sometimes worth it though. For example, I have contemplated buying a truck just to slap a pair of Rugged Terrain T/As on it. Best looking truck tire ever.

Worst tires I ever had to use (read inherited from previous owner) were Douglas, Good Years (premiere, not the Vivas from Walmart, those earn a special place in the dumpster), and most notably Kumho. I'd rather drive on rims than on Kumhos.
15.gif

Originally Posted by tony1679
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Falken.

Wow, some of these responses surprise me. My favorite mainstream brand is now Falken after having my set of Ziex ZE912s on the SS. They went way past their rated mileage (on a V8 sports car!), wore perfectly even, and still had life left when I replaced them. Gripped phenomenally in any condition, and handled light snow wonderfully even at 2/32". Replaced them with Ziex ZE950s. Both were some of the best tires I've owned. Period. Bought several pairs since then. All stellar. BFGoodrich is probably truly my favorite brand, but actually #2 due to the cost of ownership. Sometimes worth it though. For example, I have contemplated buying a truck just to slap a pair of Rugged Terrain T/As on it. Best looking truck tire ever.

Worst tires I ever had to use (read inherited from previous owner) were Douglas, Good Years (premiere, not the Vivas from Walmart, those earn a special place in the dumpster), and most notably Kumho. I'd rather drive on rims than on Kumhos.
15.gif

Mainstream? How?

Originally Posted by Gebo
Cooper. Could not get them round and balanced. Mastercraft was great. Go figure.

Interesting as my experience was opposite. Mastercraft wore out in 10,000 miles on a Chevy Metro. Next set drove great no alignment. Have had many Coopers over the years and never a bad experience. Currently hating my Goodyear Comfortreds that won't stay balanced and seem to be wearing out prematurely. Loving the Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring on my other car.

a tire called " vector "worst tires I have ever owned..bought all 4 replaced 5 within a year due to belt separation couldn't tell you how many miles were on the tires or what I could have got. the car isn't driven much , under 5 thousand a year and never any pot holes ,curbs etc,,,vector tires are just plain junk, a low priced new tire ...I guess you get what you pay for

MasterCraft(can't remember the model)
ContiTouringContact(OE) '04 Altima 2.5S
Most G/Y tires(over 40 yrs experience)
Kumho Solus KR21

I just replaced General RT43's that didn't feel right from day one, like they weren't round. I know lots of people like them. I just got a bad one or three or four. They got real noisy at about 30k but took 5 years to get there. I bought them online and had them installed locally. Last time I did that. I would have returned them if I bought them at a brick and mortar. I could have gotten the summer out of them but for the noise.

One BFG, one Conti both penny test fails in under 30k
Shortest run actually Hankook … took them off at 10k

Hankook's on my wife's caddy were shot at 20k, the worst part about this was the place where she purchased them wouldn't warranty them because she was getting them rotated at our mech instead of them even though we had proof. Mech recommended Toyo's for her car and at 10k they still look new.

Originally Posted by John_K
Generals. Many years ago. Wore out in no time and one blew for no reason.

Same for me here. Original equipment on my new 1988 Ford Ranger were General GT52S tires. They were completely worn out @ 12K miles. AWEFUL! In looking online trying to remember the model number of the tire I ran across this news story.

General GT52S

With this information I suppose I was lucky they just wore out so quickly.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by tony1679
My favorite mainstream brand is now Falken

Mainstream? How?
It's advertised equally as much as the big players, is carried in-stock permanently at both of my major local tire shops (several models, not just one type), and is pretty much commonly known everywhere.
21.gif

I put three new Goodyear Wrangers on my Jeep. (Hey, a Jeep has it have Goodyear Wranglers on it, doesn't it?) The tire shop only had three at the time, so I got the fourth tire about a week later at a different store. I did not purchase the road hazard. Way before the tread was wore down, one tire was getting deep cracks in the tread. Went back to the store to complain and they asked if I had purchased the road hazard. I told them that this was not a road hazard problem, but a manufacturing problem. They told me to pound sand. I then asked the manager if he would ride in a vehicle with that tire underneath of it. "Oh, h3ll, no!" was his answer. Will never purchase a Goodyear again.
Worst set of tires I had were Firestones on a brand new vehicle. They made it all of 15K miles.

Original Goodyears on my Z-71 2005 Corvette. I bought the car new and the tires only went 18,000 miles. The tires were a good soft compound made for racing and auto cross and they gripped really well but didn't wear very good.

Originally Posted by Shannow
I had a set of Bridgestone Eager's on one of my cars that lasted 5,000 miles...but I was 19 and driving like a maniac...replaced them with Olympic Steelflex (most incorrectly names tyre that I've ever owned, there was little to no "flex".

Bridgestone Deuler H/Ts are OEM fitment on a lot of Japanese sources Utes in Oz...they are lucky to go 25K miles.

I had a car that came with those steelflex tyres. Was like driving around in fred flintstones car. Changed them to computer cat 2s and magically it stopped my insides from being rearranged while driving.

Originally Posted by Silk
Hi Fly, they seem to wear out sitting still.

I put hiflys on my vt and found them very good. Sold them to the wifes cousin and he's running them all over Western Australia now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back