Worst Wearing Tire You Have Ever Owned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Wolfshead
Michelin pilots ! They were factory installed on my 2012 Dodge that I bought new. Car had under 25k when I noticed the rubber pealing off on the edges, rest of the tire had some tread left. What gets me is The reputation, price and advertising for Michelins. Reminds me of my Maytag dishwasher that needed a motherboard after 4 years of once or twice a week use.

25k? What Pilot? If PSS, not sure what did you expect.

I personally had Michelins on my old Vette track toys long ago that lasted 6-8k miles. Now my heavy high powered RWD sedan gets 30k miles from a set of new Michelin P4's.

Without knowing which model tire you have no idea...

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
I had a set of Bridgestone potenzas that didn't last 20k miles.
I had some Potenzas that lasted 14,000 miles. But they were well-worn used tires for which I only paid $20....... for 4 tires. ha ha

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Originally Posted by edyvw
Aftermarket SSR would probably be better. Actually Tire Rack did test of Pirelli Scorpion Verde (OE) and Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus (aftermarket). Aftermarket had better longevity and performance, but worse mpg. SSR on MB are definiately tuned for MB specifications. The question is: what are those specifications? Would not be surprised that mpg and absolutely best braking+handling performance were imperative to impress EPA+reviewers.
The "aftermarket" version of the SSR tires are the same as the ones that are on the car now with a UTQG rating of AA 280 (which means they will likely wear the same). I have had OEM tires that are only available as new on the car, but these Continentals seem to be available both ways. I have no idea what the MB specification part is, but after talking with the dealer (who said this was "normal"--to which I called bovine scatology--on what planet should a car owner "expect" to pay about $1500 annually for tires on a car that is not driven hard at all), I will not use Continental again. The car averages 30+ MPG so even if it dropped a few MPG, I am OK with that, but I am not convinced that would happen. In the case of the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Run Flats, the front tires are 2 pounds lighter and the back tires are the same weight versus that of the Continentals.

Just bcs. aftermarket has same UTQG it does not mean it is same tire. It would be shocking that MB is using tire that is not specific for that vehicle.
Exact same specifications (including the "MOExtended" nomenclature), exact same name, exact same tread pattern...I call it the same and would love to know how to determine otherwise. In addition, Discount Tire stated the same data point as the dealer--these tires do not last more than 15K. New Pirelli's now, so time will tell how they fare.

Originally Posted by tony1679
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Falken.
My favorite mainstream brand is now Falken..... BFGoodrich is probably truly my favorite brand, but actually #2 due to the cost of ownership......Worst tires...ever.... were Douglas, Good Years.....and most notably Kumho.
First, my mechanic endorses Falken. Second, I drive used tires now. Got a used, but unused spare BF Goodrich Premier Touring for $10 that I am eager to use. Had some used Kumho Solus tires that wore well initially, but changed & wore out quickly. But, I got 3 of them, mounted & balanced on nice alloy rims for $50! Have Goodyear Comfortred's(bought new), now at 40,000 miles, that are good & should go past 60,0000. But even with a $140 rebate, they still cost $650. Oh, oh! I have used Douglas tires lined up to drive in the future, so we'll see if they are as bad as you say.

Last edited:
Had a set of BFGoodrich Advantages that developed choppy blocky wear, despite plenty of tread being left. Made so much noise that I thought I had bad wheel bearings. When I finally replaced the tires, the shop tried to sell me new struts saying they must be bad to have that kind of tire wear. Nope, just [censored] tires.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
MasterCraft(can't remember the model)
ContiTouringContact(OE) '04 Altima 2.5S
Most G/Y tires(over 40 yrs experience)
Kumho Solus KR21

I agree with ya on the Kumho Solus KR21's
By far the worst tire Ive ever purchased

Sometimes the BEST tires are the ones that only last around 5000 miles. Those have always been my favorite tires clear back to 1985 running Yokohama DOT A001R tires used for daily driving, and autocrossing. Nothing better than hearing every little piece of rock flying off the tire, and sticking like glue. Turns a turd into a rocket. And that was running a skimpy 175/70-13 on a 77 VW Rabbit. Not worth a crap in snow though. The Michelin 335/25-20 Cup2 run-flat tires on a new ZR1 Corvette won't run for very many miles either, and can take hours to replace for a couple grand. Those suck period from experience. What where they thinking with those of anyone that has tried to change one?. I would pay money to somebody that could replace one of those on a HF tire changer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Char Baby
MasterCraft(can't remember the model)
ContiTouringContact(OE) '04 Altima 2.5S
Most G/Y tires(over 40 yrs experience)
Kumho Solus KR21
I've had experience with maybe, 3 of your mentioned tires. First, got 4 used Mastercraft 440 tires for $50. Put 30,000 miles on them & they still have 10,000(?) miles to go. Second, our first ever Goodyear Comfortreds, bought 3+ years ago...... are comfortable, point & handle well & now with 38,000 miles, should go beyond 60,000 miles. Third, bought three half(?) used Kumho Solus KH25's (don't know the difference to the KR21's) that were mounted on nice balanced alloys for $50, that wore out after 28,000 miles. Now I have 3 sweet wheels.

Last edited:
In my 30 years never owned a poorly wearing tire. I keep tires inflated, rotated periodically, and have alignment checked at replacement time.

The Kuhmo oem tires on my 2018 Optima LX are wearing like crazy. I might have to replace them at 30k miles. It's too bad I have Kuhmo severe snow rated tires on my F250 that have been great.

Michelin Premier A/S.

Every car I have recommended them for, or even on my own vehicles, they have never lasted more than 40K before reach 3/32".

With that said, the Premier's deliver a very good balance wet traction, steering feel and ride quality. No uniformity issues either. I would still recommend them if you are okay with the 40K treadlife.

Yokohama Advan A13Cs that come OEM on the Evo Xs. Granted they're only a 180tw tire but grip worse than 200tw tires used for racing and commonly last only 8K miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back