Worst Tires Ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Michelin X Radials I bought at Costco that I currently have on my 1996 Beretta. They are poor in rain and have absolutely no traction in snow. We just had a dusting of snow (1/2 inch) and the car was all over the road and forget about trying to stop. These tires only have 7000 miles on them. I bought these tires because they were highly rated in Consumer Reports.I just learned that their ratings aren't what they are cracked up to be.

First post but great thread. Worst tire is Goodyear RT/S. Had them on new '98 Jeep Cherokee. Spun out in wet weather(360), terrible in snow. Tread was easily punctured. Replace at earliest opportunity

We had XZXs on our early Civic (12" rims), our Vanagon, our two MB 123s, and our MB 115. I always considered them pretty good tires. They had very gentle breakaway wet or dry, decent wet and snow traction, wore well, and rode pretty smoothly and quietly. Perhaps tire quality is more a matter of perception than objective reality?

Quote:

Worst Tires ever....Anything that says Goodyear on it....

now,now. i heard that a lot from many different people. but how come their recent tires like triple treads and eagle f1 one of the highest rated tires out there? who can explain me that ???
confused.gif

Michelin Cross Terrains. And to make matters worse, I used them after BF Goodrich Long Trails. I have nothing good to say about either of those. I replaced them with Michelin AT's. I like them.

The only tire which ever exploded at 80mph, caught fire, and burned my '75 Torino to the ground, was the Uniroyal Tiger Paw, whitewall, 205/70R14 size. Granted, it was bald, and also, I should have changed it before attempting a 900 mile trip, but it shouldn't have caught fire while coasting to a stop from 80.

I then had Tiger Paws on a pickup truck which I promptly replaced before the same fate occured to the truck.

Quote:

Worst Tires ever....Anything that says Goodyear on it....

Might be mostly true, but not entirely true. The newer Assurance series (TripleTread and Comfort Tread) get almost unanimous rave reviews. The Goodyear Viva and Viva2 available only at WalMart get suprisingly good reviews. I know a couple of people who have the Allegras and they have no complaints. But there's no question that GY has made an awful lot of #@$%! tires.

The Goodyear's that came on my '02 Dakota SXT. Seems like everyone on the Dakota forum I'm on hates them, and I'm not too fond of them either.

Quote:

My old Corolla had Goodyear Intergritys which get my vote as the worst tires.They all around suck in all conditions,squeal like pigs if asked to do anything remotely "sporty".

Replaced car,"new" car(GTI)has Michelin MXV4 Plus which are pretty nice.Quiet,comfortable and decent handling.

I despise Goodyears also. My "Cavasmear" had G'year Integrity tires on it from factory also. I had since then BFGs on it, Firestones, and now Douglas's. I am leaning towards Dunlop or Bridgestone next. I somewhat watch Nextel Cup, but did alot more before Earnhardt was killed. I was practically brainless trying to find and use only sponsors products at that time.
bop.gif
Then I got to thinking "hey, you don't have money falling out of dark places like Nascar does, so why drive yourself batty trying to please companies whom wouldn't probably give you the time of day?"
confused.gif
Then I saw an article on Nascar's site how Goodyear has re-signed to be the exclusive tire supplier of all three series. That there made my decision not to buy Goodyears ever again.
rugerman.gif
Goodyear

Quote:

If you guys could find a set of Bridgestone Turanza T tires to try you'd change your minds about the worst tires around. I have a featherweight 1992 Golf Diesel that puts out a whopping 52 HP when new and I can break these tires loose in 5th gear. Add a dash of snow, salt, sand, or slush and hold on tight! Cheers, Steve

Similar experience here with the Turanza LSTs in a 225/60R16 size on an Intrepid. Long wearing tire but mushy cornering, poor wet/dry traction and NO traction with any snow or slush. And these are expensive tires.

Believe it or not, I replaced them with cheap MotoMaster (Canadian Tire) LXRs and there was a huge improvement in handling and wet/dry traction that is still there 58K miles later. The MotoMaster LXRs have some drawbacks too, but at half the price of the Turanza LSTs, they are still a better performing tire on the Intrepid.

Out of all the cars/trucks & tires I've used, which is plenty, I could agree more with the quotes below! These came on a new Acura I purchaed in '05. They were by far the WORST tires I've ever had. Most OEM tires have not compaired to aftermarket as well for some reason. I would like to say, however, that the Uniroyal Tiger Paws that came on me new G6 are quite impressive in all conditions.

Quote:

Michelin Pilot HX MXM4.

They have poor road noise (compared to even performance summer tires), poor ride quality, **** poor wet traction, poor to abysmal dry traction, no lateral support, poor tire wear, and they've got an ugly tread to boot.

Their only purpose its getting the car from the dealer to your house, at which point the tires should be burned, so no one else has to experience the utter ---- that is a michelin budget tire.

The words "grand touring tire" actually means "may endanger the lives of you and your family."

I replaced these with Falken ZIEX-512's, which cost rougly 1/2 of the price of a single michelin, and were superior in every single aspect of driveability. I've begun to think that the word "Michelin" stands for "Overpriced".

The Michelin MXV4 Plus's on the 16x7 Mazda 6i's were argubly better then the Pilots, but still squeel like a pig and have mediocre levels of dry/wet traction compared to something like a Toyo Proxy4...which still costs less. Thus I wouldn't call them bad, but "meh" tires.

[ October 20, 2004, 08:20 AM: Message edited by: crossbow ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back