Worst paint job ever diy

Consider this more an experiment than anything else. The roof of my car has quite a bit of rust on it. I want to stop the rust from progressing, since I want to keep this beater in commuter service literally as long as financially feasible.

I sanded down the rust, used dish soap to clean it, then sprayed 3 coats of a fancy top coat.

To be honest the result is not as bad as I thought. no peeling or orange peel. It’s not consistent, but I don’t care anyways. I’m not going to polish or sand it. Just wanted to slow down rusting.

To those that say it won’t stop rust, I disagree. The manufacturer of the clear coat said the product can be used to preserve rust patina while arresting further rusting. That’s enough rationalization for me.

IMG_2174.jpeg

IMG_2178.jpeg

IMG_2198.jpeg

IMG_2197.jpeg

IMG_2202.jpeg

I need to do something like this... I've got a janky old Kia that I would like to return to my brother in a couple of years... The factory paint is flaking off this thing in lots of places. Like you, I don't care how it looks, just want to delay rust.

Here's a picture of my brother's PU in the process of being painted with a brush and foam roller in 2018. It is still holding up. Sorry I don't have the finished product, I lost those pictures somehow.

IMG_1388.JPG

A buddy of mine has to park his truck in an uncovered parking place so it is in the direct sunlight all the time. It is about a 2010 Toyota
with beautiful Forest Green I think? factory paint. This truck is still like brand new interior but the problem with him not washing or waxing it often enough has led to burnt , cooked off paint on the hood and the top of it. Now he does not want to shell out cash for a new paint job but his truck is still in great shape except for the messed up paint areas. I suggested he do similar to what you have done. Told him to check some auto paint supply places like Eastwood , etc.... Ask them for "flat black matte" paint for autos like some sports cars used to come with from factory in the late 60s / 70s. He wont have the expense of a new paint job, it wont look bad and it will stop the damage from getting worse.

Rollers? It turned out ok using rollers? I would never have imagined.
Yes, it turned out very nice with foam Weenie rollers. My brother painted professionally with me for over 20 years before leaving for Con Ed. Lets say he knows how to paint with enamel paint. The trick was in the paint mix. It was Rust-Oleum cut with Penetrol and Mineral Spirits, just enough to get it to brush well and cut back on orange peel. It didn't look like a spray job, but it did look **** good for a brush roller job, with very little orange peel. We were both surprised with the outcome, the clear coat was shot, it had some battle scars and a bit of rust. My brother wanted to keep it and improve the look w/o breaking the bank. He accomplished that mission and got a lot of compliments.

I dont think it to be a bad job at all. It does the job, and protects against rust. Is it showroom perfect? No, does it need to be? No. You are proud of it and you saved some money.

Agree with others. It is not a bad job at all and it serves the purpose. You saved your vehicle futher damage and saved your wallet at the same time. Nothing is cheap anymore and that would cost you quite a bit if done by a shop.
Thanks. I am very satisfied with this clearcoat. It’s adhering to the car very well. I was concerned it would start peeling off, or it would bubble or be easy to scratch off.

Even if I scratch it with my fingernail, it stays on. Seems like a great product. It was very hot today, sitting in the parking lot sun for a full day, and not a sign of any problems. 👍

Back