Worlds Best Spanish Rice Recipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOD

I guess this is what happens when your parents grew up in the great depression: I got mad about paying $1.00 for a box of pre-seasoned rice! Yes, that's ridiculous, and yeah, really, I can spring for the dollar, but it just seemed silly when I can get a giant bag of plain rice for a couple bucks. So, I spent some time experimenting, to make the perfect rice. After a few clunkers, here's how I finally came up with a winner. I know the Bitog crew is a thrifty lot, so I figured I'd post this here.

Ingredients:

-2 cups water
-1 cup long grain white rice
-2 tbsp olive oil
-1 tbsp butter
-1 med size tomato, diced
-1 tsp red cayenne pepper powder (1/2 if you don't like spicy)
-1 tsp chili power
-1 tsp red paprika
-2 tsp sea salt
-1/2 red or yellow pepper
-1/4 small onion, diced

Instructions:

-cut pepper in half, remove seeds and cook in a saute pan under HIGH heat w/tsp of olive oil, cook until it turns black in spots, remove and let cool. dice into small pieces
-add remaining olive oil, butter rice and all spices to a wide, shallow sauce pan, cook under med/high heat coating rice, cook for 2-3 minutes until rice is coated and starts to turn color a little
-add onion, peppers and tomatoes, stir for 30 seconds then add water
-bring water to a full boil, then reduce heat to simmer, cover and let cook for 25 minutes.
-turn off heat, fluff with spatula and let sit for 10 minutes

-cover with some black beans, grilled chicken and some cheese and enjoy the best Spanish rice ever made!

Sounds Great
banana2.gif
I will try it this week...

My girlfriend would kill me if I tried your recipe.
Firstly....she has her own recipe (and it's really very good) so if she found out I was trying another...death for me!
Secondly....she hails from Mexico. If she ever heard me calling that dish 'Spanish' Rice (she calls it Mexican)....death would be too good for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back