Women's World Cup: Does anyone care?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not really into womens sports. If I want to what watch a bunch of manly, bearded dudes ripe with testosterone I'll just watch mens sports.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: Popinski
You're absolutely right. Mexico vs United States Men's was playing last week in California. 80% of the people in the stadium were Mexican.
80% of the people in Califonia itself are Mexican.
http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/06000.html

Nope, according to census it is about 37.6%, and white non Hispanic is still 40.1%

So your number is way off unless you add Baja California.

The perceived accuracy of the statement depends a great deal on where you happen to be in the Republic of California. From the Bay area, you've hit the nail on the head. Get closer to the Channel Islands' latitudes and one might have a drastically different perspective.

Originally Posted By: rshunter

Nope, according to census it is about 37.6%, and white non Hispanic is still 40.1%

The perceived accuracy of the statement depends a great deal on where you happen to be in the Republic of California. From the Bay area, you've hit the nail on the head. Get closer to the Channel Islands' latitudes and one might have a drastically different perspective.

Do you have any solid # to back it up then? In the absence of any solid # you have to go with at least a census rather than a number made of thin air.

How about Imperial County, California?

Quote:
"Persons of Hispanic or Latino origin, percent, 2010 - 80.4%"

Source: US Census Bureau - State & County QuickFacts

Is that solid enough for you?

As an aside, this is why people is Southern California say that those in Northern California haven't a clue what the real problems are in the State, and vice-versa.

Last edited:

As an aside, this is why people is Southern California say that those in Northern California haven't a clue what the real problems are in the State, and vice-versa.

The original statement from Popinski is 80% of the people in California, you now turn it into a county only. Of course this is not enough to justify the original argument.

I'm just pulling number out of census to point out the wrongness of some number pulled out of thin air, and you have to shoot the messenger. You can cherry pick any race population and I can pull a county's profile for you. Want almost all black? asian? white? mexican? in a county? I can find it.

BTW, if you want to turn Mexican population into a "real problem" or north vs south argument, this thread will be locked.

The original statement from Popinski is 80% of the people in California, you now turn it into a county only. Of course this is not enough to justify the original argument.

I'm just pulling number out of census to point out the wrongness of some number pulled out of thin air, and you have to shoot the messenger. You can cherry pick any race population and I can pull a county's profile for you. Want almost all black? asian? white? mexican? in a county? I can find it.

BTW, if you want to turn Mexican population into a "real problem" or north vs south argument, this thread will be locked.

My point was that what people see in their community says far more to them than a statistic. I was just proving that there are communities where people will observe this.

What you see in the Bay area means nothing to someone living in Southern California. Likewise, their experiences mean little to your everyday life. It doesn't make either person's experiences, observations, or issues, any less valid.

As for the assertion that I'm trying to turn this into an anti-Hispanic thread, I'll let you in on something. I'm a native Southern Californian and spent a portion of my youth growing up in a majority Hispanic neighborhood. I would say that I probably fit in better there, and had far more friends there, than anywhere else I have ever lived. The way I was treated, you'd have thought I was a family member, not the kid down the street. The very idea that I would have an issue with someone due to their being Hispanic isn't just absurd, it's insulting.

However, I do have an issue with an ever-expanding criminal element that is a parasite burrowing into the fabric of the Hispanic community. They are nothing but bottom-feeders who generate negative public opinions about people who don't deserve such. Then again, I also despise the Mafia while having worked for (and was friends with, I might add) an Italian family that was in the food distribution business, so maybe I'm anti-Italian.

If that is offensive, then report away... {edit: Never mind, I'm done with this thread...}

Cheers
cheers3.gif

My point was that what people see in their community says far more to them than a statistic. I was just proving that there are communities where people will observe this.

What you see in the Bay area means nothing to someone living in Southern California. Likewise, their experiences mean little to your everyday life. It doesn't make either person's experiences, observations, or issues, any less valid.

As for the assertion that I'm trying to turn this into an anti-Hispanic thread, I'll let you in on something. I'm a native Southern Californian and spent a portion of my youth growing up in a majority Hispanic neighborhood. I would say that I probably fit in better there, and had far more friends there, than anywhere else I have ever lived. The way I was treated, you'd have thought I was a family member, not the kid down the street. The very idea that I would have an issue with someone due to their being Hispanic isn't just absurd, it's insulting.

However, I do have an issue with an ever-expanding criminal element that is a parasite burrowing into the fabric of the Hispanic community. They are nothing but bottom-feeders who generate negative public opinions about people who don't deserve such. Then again, I also despise the Mafia while having worked for (and was friends with, I might add) an Italian family that was in the food distribution business, so maybe I'm anti-Italian.

If that is offensive, then report away... {edit: Never mind, I'm done with this thread...}

Cheers
cheers3.gif

All is good, totally agree with what you said, just the original wording seems a bit "lost in translation" if you read it as a run on sentence.

I commute to Socal every other week for 2 years and am not complete stranger to the way communities are there (communities because depends on which one they can be very different a few miles away).

You probably would have guesses that the Norcal is also very diverse and every community is different based on the ethnic makeup, education level, income level, etc, as much as the Socal. What you read in the media isn't always the representation of the entire population, and things can also be very different when you cross the freeway, the school district line, the bridge, etc. Therefore I would never make a statement like xxx has no clue on the reality.

One thing I can completely agree is the gang really make the honest people look bad in any community, especially the Hispanic one.

This is way off the topic "Women's World Cup" !!!

It seems like Brazil may be able to win it all this time. But anything can happen in any World Cup, Men or Women. The best performance team in the first round doesn't have a guaranty to get to final match.

You're absolutely right. Mexico vs United States Men's was playing last week in California. 80% of the people in the stadium were Mexican.

It was sarcasm and not meant as a factual statement.
33.gif

Germany is gone! First time Japan entered the semi-finals.

On sheer determination. What a game.

Originally Posted By: brophog
Germany is gone! First time Japan entered the semi-finals.

On sheer determination. What a game.

That's a major stunner. Bummer I missed the game. And France is in.

Too bad USA will be out.

Why are you keep saying USA will be eliminated by Brazil ? Don't be so pessimistic !!! Brazil is good, but anything can happened in a World Cup math, no team is warrantied to win any match.

Go USA !!!

Because we have been playing like slugs. And our defense is too porous, and our forwards too slow. Yes we can win, IF we step up our game. But I've seen us try and it's not there. I hope I'm very, very wrong!

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Why are you keep saying USA will be eliminated by Brazil ? Don't be so pessimistic !!! Brazil is good, but anything can happened in a World Cup math, no team is warrantied to win any match.

Go USA !!!
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Because we have been playing like slugs. And our defense is too porous, and our forwards too slow. Yes we can win, IF we step up our game. But I've seen us try and it's not there. I hope I'm very, very wrong!

Go USA!!!! Can't wait to watch the game.....(that's a very rare saying from me when it comes to Women Sports).

YESSS!!! GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2-MINUTES LEFT ON OVERTIME!! IT'S INCREDIBLE!!!! PENALTY KICKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back