Woman Loses $20,000,000 Lawsuit Against Michelin

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.moderntiredealer.com/news/411301/product-liability-case-ends-in-michelin-s-favor

"...In the lawsuit, Allen and her attorneys alleged that a defective Uniroyal tire -- manufactured by Michelin at its plant in Ardmore, Okla. -- was the reason for a single-vehicle rollover accident on Oct. 8, 2011, in Arizona. The plaintiff demanded $20 million in compensatory and punitive damages, claiming a faulty tire separated, caused the accident and resulted in severe injuries.

Michelin successfully showed that the tread separation on the Uniroyal Tiger Paw AWP preceded the accident and was caused by a number of factors, including an improperly repaired puncture days before the accident as well as chronic under inflation of the tire. The jury determined there was no proof of product liability, and Michelin was found faultless on all claims…"

$20 million? Did she roll her vehicle over in to a bank vault, wherein the vehicle caught fire and incinerated all of the vaults holdings?

There are a lot of aftermarket parts that scare the heck out of me! Ball joints that fail and your calls falls on the ground, water pump bearings that seize and your engine overheats, gaskets that harden and leak way before their anticipated lifespan causing oil to hit your exhaust and burst into flames, etc. OEM uses aftermarket parts but they have specifications associated to the parts and OEM does warranty them.

I don't know what will wake up the aftermarket industry to make better quality parts when we buy them at a parts store. It's truly buyer beware.

Originally Posted By: Kool1
There are a lot of aftermarket parts that scare the heck out of me! Ball joints that fail and your calls falls on the ground, water pump bearings that seize and your engine overheats, gaskets that harden and leak way before their anticipated lifespan causing oil to hit your exhaust and burst into flames, etc. OEM uses aftermarket parts but they have specifications associated to the parts and OEM does warranty them.

I don't know what will wake up the aftermarket industry to make better quality parts when we buy a them at a parts store. It's truly buyer beware.

¿?

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
http://www.moderntiredealer.com/news/411301/product-liability-case-ends-in-michelin-s-favor

......"

Michelin successfully showed that the tread separation on the Uniroyal Tiger Paw AWP preceded the accident and was caused by a number of factors, including an improperly repaired puncture days before the accident as well as chronic under inflation of the tire. The jury determined there was no proof of product liability, and Michelin was found faultless on all claims…"

Good, when YOU are NOT taking personal responsibility for maintaining your vehicle in good safe condition by neglecting maintenance YOU are responsible for your own misery. Glad she didn't get ONE RED CENT....

now the Judge should force her to repay the legal fees incurred by Michelin for the frivolous lawsuit brought against them.

About the lack of proper tire maintenance, it is reasonable and customary to expect car owners to repair flats right and inspect the tires once in a while, and of course keep enough air in there.

Sounds like the car owner's lawyers were just fishing for a settlement and accidentally took the trial to a conclusion, asking to settle the entire time of the trial proceedings probably.

I wonder who improperly repaired a chronically under-inflated tire, it would seem to me that they would be the negligent party.

What a concept, taking responsibility for your own actions. This is going to take a lot of explaining for people to understand such a concept.

And what's this with Michelin bringing common sense to a defense in a law suit. And a jury making a judgement based on common sense and the facts.

I doubt the lady knew whether her tire was repaired properly or not after a puncture. You take it to a tire store and they fix it and it holds air, you drive off. Did the tire store just do a plug or a patch on the inside like they should have? Was the puncture outside the repairable area?

The lady (99% of drivers) is not going to know any of that info.

Maybe sue the tire store??

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dishdude
I wonder who improperly repaired a chronically under-inflated tire, it would seem to me that they would be the negligent party.

So the tire was fixed and ,I assume, properly inflated. I have a repaired tire on my car and it's been at least 2 years. Have yet to add air. Maybe I should be concerned?

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
I have a repaired tire on my car and it's been at least 2 years. Have yet to add air. Maybe I should be concerned?
You should be concerned. Change that tire now to be on the safe side. I repaired one before and wondered if the steel structural belts were damaged, but took the risk anyway. The risk is small, but its there. Your call really.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
What a concept, taking responsibility for your own actions. This is going to take a lot of explaining for people to understand such a concept. And what's this with Michelin bringing common sense to a defense in a law suit. And a jury making a judgement based on common sense and the facts.

Its not quite that simple. The phrase "reasonable & customary due diligence" comes to mind here. But certainly a tire manufacturer can't be held responsible for improper repairs or low tire pressure in today's tires. Other car parts, like a tie rod breaking due to a crack nobody ever saw, is deemed unreasonable to expect to fail.

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel

Good, when YOU are NOT taking personal responsibility for maintaining your vehicle in good safe condition by neglecting maintenance YOU are responsible for your own misery. Glad she didn't get ONE RED CENT....

now the Judge should force her to repay the legal fees incurred by Michelin for the frivolous lawsuit brought against them.

Amen! "I didn't take care of any of my maintenance, it's someone else's fault" is all too prevalent in today's America.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I doubt the lady knew whether her tire was repaired properly or not after a puncture. You take it to a tire store and they fix it and it holds air, you drive off. Did the tire store just do a plug or a patch on the inside like they should have? Was the puncture outside the repairable area?

No mention that a tire store did the repair, they likely did it themselves with the string kits and T handle.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream

No mention that a tire store did the repair, they likely did it themselves with the string kits and T handle.

Is there an issue with plug repairs???

Hispanic tire stores have much to sue for ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TomYoung

Is there an issue with plug repairs???

Not an approved repair by any tire manufacturer or any industry standard. You're supposed to dismount the tire and patch it from the inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back