Woman died inside burning SUV that started 'going crazy'; doors wouldn't unlock

Some need to stop being moronic. You don't even need the tool if you can open your door after someone disconnects the battery. Your are testing your vehicle. I have both, crematoriums, and no power needed mechanically opened vehicle doors. in the driveway. Which car needs the tool? Test your vehicles. If you want to test your glass breaking skill, visit the salvage yard with some cash. You don't even need to be a rocket scientist.

If you can't escape the car, then its for you to develop a routine with a tool, whether you test the tool on a real window or not. I am pretty sure that the small sledgehammer between the seats will address ANY window when I'm parked in my burning POS, since we all saw how using the cell phone was USELESS.

For the one asking where the tool is kept, this is when you use your brain and figure out where you can keep the tool when you need it, and hopefully common sense will work and its within 'reach'. Mine are right in the open and easy to get to... cup holder, center/side console pocket, door pocket, underseat seat, wherever. I can't even fathom why someone would even ask where to keep the tool. No one has a problem finding a place for the Garmin/TomTom, Android/Iphones, BigGulb superlattekrapuchinos, unlimited spare change coins, air fresheners, fuzzy dice, or drive-thru bags of garbage!

My simple pocket knife, in my pocket always, will cut any seatbelt and break any window. You can visit a salvage yard and ask if they have any cars heading for the crusher/shredder and if you can smash a few windows. Or, you can trust the tools marketing.

And for some owners, just use your head.

Its sad that many don't have basic survival instinct. I promise you that I won't be making any phone calls when my car locks me inside ands starts smoking. I will be using whatever is in the car, feet, fists, seatbelt latch as a punching device, flashlight in the glovebox(with skull/glass breaker cap), stainless/aluminum thermos/bottle, whatever I have to beat on any/every window until I find one that breaks, even if it means climbing into the back of the minivan/suv and grabbing the tools used to change the tire.

Very sad, but I even had to teach my teenage stepson about the lock lever. One day I hadn't realized he hadn't gotten out before I hit the lock button on the remote, and when we realized he was still in the car, he was climbing over the front seat to try to get to the lock button on the front door. When I showed him the lock lever on the door, he had no idea what it did. He actually has his learner's permit. :oops:

Reading this thread I'm noticing the lack of a standardized interface. Some handles open the door respective of lock position, some do sometimes, and some do not. I guess Teslas normally open electrically but there's a mechanical handle that people will not habitually use, therefore getting them out of the habit?

Have you ever played as a kid, trying to lock the car door when your parent/ sibling goes for the handle, and mechanically jammed everything?

Go on a plane, the exit door is clearly marked, as well as the direction you turn the handle. Maybe we should standardize this? Shoot, we came up with a universal way to get out of TRUNKS in 2000.

What's sad is that from the inside of the journey is you can clearly see the lock mechanism right next to the door handle. You can also clearly see there is a door lock knob to manually pull the door locks up.

All these things exist to manually exit the car in the event of an electrical problem. It's too bad someone didn't know how they worked and died as a result.

Very sad, but I even had to teach my teenage stepson about the lock lever. One day I hadn't realized he hadn't gotten out before I hit the lock button on the remote, and when we realized he was still in the car, he was climbing over the front seat to try to get to the lock button on the front door. When I showed him the lock lever on the door, he had no idea what it did. He actually has his learner's permit. :oops:
That's the thing! We're assuming everyone has the same level of competency here. Not everyone does. If you have "never" used the manual door lock, how are you to know it's even there?

What's sad is that from the inside of the journey is you can clearly see the lock mechanism right next to the door handle. You can also clearly see there is a door lock knob to manually pull the door locks up.

All these things exist to manually exit the car in the event of an electrical problem. It's too bad someone didn't know how they worked and died as a result.
It's possible those manual knob/lever weren't working.

Had this happen to me once. The manual slider lock on a chevy wouldn't budge 1 iota due to a malfunction and I was locked in the car as a result.

I know very little about MoPar products, but the Dane County Sheriff's office report says the vehicle had a Totally Integrated Power Module, or TIPM, which had been the subject of a recall because associated wiring could "become contaminated, potentially causing the connector to melt and/or catch fire." The VIN of the vehicle that burned was not on the recall list, but the model and year is.
It’s amazing, after 30 years dodge still doesn’t know how to seal a connector.

My 2001 has never wanted to start when it’s humid or raining.

Replaced everything same problem

And people keep buying them

This guy's car wasn't even burning and he's practicing his technique for future Dodgy ownership

nottrappedinvehicle.jpg

What about the rear hatch? Can that be manually opened?

This reminds me that I should buy one of those window breakers with belt cutter to put in the center console. I do have an automotive fire extinguisher in the hatch, but that’s not going to put out an electrical fire unless the source goes away.

It’s amazing, after 30 years dodge still doesn’t know how to seal a connector.

My 2001 has never wanted to start when it’s humid or raining.

Replaced everything same problem
Oh, it's not just Dodge:

And another:
According to Consumer Reports, in 2014, GM recalled more than 2 million vehicles for an issue with a faulty wiring harness for the body module, which was subject to corrosion and could prevent brake lights from illuminating while disabling other important functions. Models affected included the 2004-2012 Chevrolet Malibu, 2005-2010 Pontiac G6, and 2007-2010 Saturn Aura.

Most recently, Honda announced a recall of more than 240,000 2018-2020 Odysseys because of improperly installed interior trim that could cause a short circuit and catch fire. Specifically, the wiring harness for the third-row accessory power outlet could get pinched between the unibody and rear trim panel, potentially damaging wires.
From here:
And another:

Our 1988 Toyota Camry was recalled for a defective power door lock relay, IIRC, in about 1990 or so. We never had the problem that the recall was designed to correct, some people did, overheated relays and smoke in the vehicle.

BTW I had to have the TIPM replaced on my 07 Jeep in 2018, symptoms were a dead battery, accessories not working (blinkers, wipers) engine reluctant to start, gauges acting weird warning lights flashing, ding ding...etc...... to replace was about $1500 at the dealership. The tech said that a defective passenger door module corrupted the TIPM, not sure if that is actually possible, but after it was fixed no more problems.
what it was doing:

Last edited:
I checked some of our vehicles...
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee, inside door handle over-rides lock
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee, inside door handle over-rides lock
2017 Subaru Forester, inside door handle does not over-ride lock, but there is a manual un-lock tab

As tragic as this is, something doesn’t add up here. I don’t see TPIM issue causing this. A fire, possibly, but it would not have an effect on the door handle.
As others with FCA products stated, on my Grand Caravan, the door handle will override the lock and unlock the door. You can feel the linkage working, it’s not an electrical actuation type design, for the door handle that is. I would imagine the Journey is very similar.

Perhaps this woman developed some weird habit where should would only use the door unlock button first or her key fob before pulling the door handle and when it didn’t work she panicked?

Back