Wix vs. Toyota OE Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the opportunity to purchase a 10-pack of OE filters (A6) for my Prius at the cost of $3.80/filter shipped.

I run the 10k intervals as per Toyota's recommendations. In the Amsoil comparison tests, it shows that the efficiency of the OE Toyota filter is dismal, likely because they sacrificed the efficiency for greater capacity.

Does anyone know how the efficiency of the Wix premium filter compares to the Toyota OE filter? Any data or comparison tests would be great.

Thanks!

Is it the same L14477 that other Toyota's use, or the smaller L14476 (same size just shorter) size?

If anything I think the Wix would be better built but have an even samller media area. There are several different Toyota OEM filters (even one with a sponge like media) and I'm not sure which AmsOil tested?

My Yaris with vvti only ran well on the OEM Japan (iirc: p/n 90915-10003?)foam media filter which my toyota parts guy said he could not order stateside for me. Second best was a ACDELCO non-ecore but that didnt have the si adbv
frown.gif

Last edited:
I would use either one of the newer major-brand filters (the top-line Wix, Mobil-1, etc.) with a synthetic or synthetic-blend media if I were to run 10,000 mi. OCI.
We have 4 Toyota vehicles, but live in one of the dustiest environments in the U.S., so I limit OCI's to 7,000 or less, even using synthetic oil.
If your Toyota has room for a 'longer' filter, why not look at the Wix premium for a Mustang V-6. It fits my '96 Camry V-6. I use Toyota 'sponge,' Toyota/Denso, the 'regular' Wix and Baldwin filters, but for 10,000 mile OCI's, I would go to an afore-mentioned syn. or semi-syn. media, rather than what I now use.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I have the opportunity to purchase a 10-pack of OE filters (A6) for my Prius at the cost of $3.80/filter shipped.

I would buy them as your engine will never know the difference.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

I run the 10k intervals as per Toyota's recommendations. In the Amsoil comparison tests, it shows that the efficiency of the OE Toyota filter is dismal, likely because they sacrificed the efficiency for greater capacity.

Does anyone know how the efficiency of the Wix premium filter compares to the Toyota OE filter? Any data or comparison tests would be great.

Thanks!

The Wix site has become nearly useless for finding beta data; they are "whitewashing" the numbers to all be 2/20=6/20.

However, the fleetfilter.com site has the "old" beta data still in it, at least it did the last time I checked about a month ago. That is about as good as you might find. I don't know of any true ISO ratings other than the old Wix beta data from fleetfilter.

Last edited:
You should also consider a PTR43-52090. That's a rather long OCI for a plain jane A6, for any filter actually.
It's a bit pricey made by Toyota.

After seeing your recent UOA running the toyota OEM filter, I would stick with that. At that price it's a great deal.

I don't think you can ever go wrong using OE filters. Sure, the WIX, M1, K&N, or AMSOIL may be a "better" filter, but will your engine know that?

The exception, of course, is all of ARCO's cars which apparently are self-aware and will only run on specific filters.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
The exception, of course, is all of ARCO's cars which apparently are self-aware and will only run on specific filters.

lol.gif

its-alive.jpg

Originally Posted By: Izb
Who are OEM manufacturers of these Honda and Toyota oil filters?

The Honda A02 in the Amsoil test is made by Fram. Afaik, the Toyota filter would be made by Denso.

Having said that, Fram makes the A02 to Honda specs. I would assume Denso does the same for Toyota. So their efficiency spec is most on Honda and Toyota, not on Fram or Denso.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back