(Wix) Pro-Tec Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that Pro-Tec Filters are Napa Silver filters (or at least that's what I've read). Oreilly's description for the filters says 95% efficient at 29 microns, which isn't incredible by any means, but it also isn't horrible either, bearing in mind the dirt cheap price (when buying the package deal) - especially if you can even find them on sale or otherwise cheaper than they normally are.

My question is this:

How long of an OCI would be safe when using them? Oreilly's says they are to be used with conventional oil (though that doesn't mean you couldn't use semi-syn or full syn with them, but why not use a better filter if you're going to). We know that today's conventional oils can be taken to 5,000 miles, if not upwards of 7,500 miles if using a quality conventional (though that is probably the upper limit).

Would a Pro-Tec hold up to a 5,000 to 7,500 mile OCI? Or would you say that 5,000 miles would be the upper limit of the filter?

P.S. If anyone has any pics of one cut open, that would be appreciated.

In 13 years on BITOG(12 yrs as a member)...

I've never seen a filter(INSIDE) that COULDN'T handle 7000-8000 miles...OR 10,000 miles.
I've never seen a filter(INSIDE) that fell apart after ONLY 7000-8000 miles...OR 10,000 miles.

Now, maybe it's not beneficial to run them that long but, they can handle it!
laugh.gif

Last edited:
I would say that any oil filter can go 7500 miles in a CLEAN engine...even the 'premium' oil filters will load up with dirt early in a DIRTY engine.

The Pro-Tec is Wix value/jobber tier filter. Wix describes it as intended for those changing oil/filter three months or 3000 miles. They are very similar to or same as the current Super Tech line and O'R MicroGard, use a nitrile adbv. 'Generally speaking', intended for ~5k mile ocis, could push it to 6k if need be. That said, beyond 5k miles regularly pushing to 7500 miles, I'd try to use a silicone adbv filter. Napa Gold/(wix) one example, I find them at my local store twice yearly sale for
So sure you can push them to 7500 miles and nothing catastrophic will happen. But with other higher tier reasonably priced options, pointless 'imo'.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
In 13 years on BITOG(12 yrs as a member)...

I've never seen a filter(INSIDE) that COULDN'T handle 7000-8000 miles...OR 10,000 miles.
I've never seen a filter(INSIDE) that fell apart after ONLY 7000-8000 miles...OR 10,000 miles.

Now, maybe it's not beneficial to run them that long but, they can handle it!
laugh.gif

Guess you have not been in the oil filter forum much.
Lots of filters out there with issues (mainly Purolator, but there are others as well).

As for the Microgard/Napa Pro-select/Supertech filter, it is the nitrile ADV more than the media that can become an issue over 5000 miles.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Never seen a purolator inside?

Yes, I have seen them on BITOG but, I have never had a defected one myself and I still continue to use them. I cut open every Purolator(other filters as well) Oil Filter after each use. The tears in the Tear-O-lators looks to be of a factory(weak media) defect and not from overuse(beyond a single OCI)! Overuse is what I was talking about, mainly 7K - 8K miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby

Yes, I have seen them on BITOG but, I have never had a defected one myself and I still continue to use them. I cut open every Purolator(other filters as well) Oil Filter after each use. The tears in the Tear-O-lators looks to be of a factory(weak media) defect and not from overuse(beyond a single OCI)! Overuse is what I was talking about, mainly 7K - 8K miles.

I agree with this - Purolator got a really bad batch(s) of (imported?) media paper.

I ran a FL-1A on a Ford V8 for 30,000 miles back in the 90's (3x 10K OCI's) and it was fine (no failures) when disassembled.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
I ran a FL-1A on a Ford V8 for 30,000 miles back in the 90's (3x 10K OCI's) and it was fine (no failures) when disassembled.

And I thought I was a heretic for running 15k miles on a MC ...
I nod in concession to your feat!

I've used the standard Puro Classics for ~12K-13K in the past, I just don't do it out of habit. However, each time that I use it for ONLY a 5K-6K OCI and then cut it open, I see that it could have gone much further.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the responses. Seems clear now that these would be fine for conventional oil OCI's between 5k to 7.5k without worrying about any issues. It just comes down to whether or not I decide to run conventional or not whether I buy these or something that isn't a jobber.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3

It was back when I had a filter cutter (sold it in 2001) because I was cutting a lot of Lycoming engine oil filters (usually Champion CH-48109 or CH-48110) open, looking for piston pin plug wear.

I ran one for 2X OCI's at 5K-6K in '95-'96.... and it was fine.
I pulled all the pleats apart and found nothing of concern.

I deduced from that one filter the next one *should* do 30,000 - and I was right.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3

It was back when I had a filter cutter (sold it in 2001) because I was cutting a lot of Lycoming engine oil filters (usually Champion CH-48109 or CH-48110) open, looking for piston pin plug wear.

I ran one for 2X OCI's at 5K-6K in '95-'96.... and it was fine.
I pulled all the pleats apart and found nothing of concern.

I deduced from that one filter the next one *should* do 30,000 - and I was right.

I have to ask - did you baby it, or drive it normally, or did you sometimes go WOT?

I almost hope you didn't baby it, because if you did drive hard and the filter lasted 30k, that's a testament to standard conventional filters, or at least specifically Motorcraft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back