Wix filters still good?

From what I'm hearing and seeing seems like Wix filter quality has taken a big hit lately with the Mann+Hummel purchase.I picked up some 51516 Wix for my Fusion but starting to second guess with all the negative reviews I've been seeing...

From what I'm hearing and seeing seems like Wix filter quality has taken a big hit lately with the Mann+Hummel purchase.I picked up some 51516 Wix for my Fusion but starting to second guess with all the negative reviews I've been seeing...
You will be fine, use a good oil and change it at reasonable intervals. I know I am babbling; your Air Filter is more important at this time.

I’m still using them in 2 cars, not sure how the decline can be quantified or captured. Not saying it hasn’t happened, but maybe it’s not something to worry about. I looked up those boss filters and they are just too expensive. It isn’t that my vehicles don’t deserve them, but there has to be a marginal benefit.

I would use them. If you have spent any time at all here on BITOG, you know that there have been reports shared about poor quality on filters from almost every manufacturer. And really, some of the complaints, like excess glue sticking out from under the steel end caps, seen super petty. So until we start seeing the quantity of defects that were reported on Purolator filters a few years back, I wouldn't lose any sleep over using Wix filters.

Unfortunately, I agree with the sentiment that the quality has slipped, they are often usable, but the construction should be checked for each filter and can no longer simply be trusted.
I recently bought a group of Wix 57145 filters from Rock Auto that were labeled Made in Mexico. The louvers in the center tube were basically closed on all 4 filters I bought. See sample picture attached.
I’ve bought several flavors of Wix filters over the years, and never had an issue before this last group. I still have a few Napa Platinum from the Made in USA, round holes in center tube era that I’ll definitely use.

IMG_7858.jpeg

This says otherwise. Newer batches of wix xp are no longer fully synthetic media are now a cellulose blend media.

Unfortunately, I agree with the sentiment that the quality has slipped, they are often usable, but the construction should be checked for each filter and can no longer simply be trusted.
I recently bought a group of Wix 57145 filters from Rock Auto that were labeled Made in Mexico. The louvers in the center tube were basically closed on all 4 filters I bought. See sample picture attached.
I’ve bought several flavors of Wix filters over the years, and never had an issue before this last group. I still have a few Napa Platinum from the Made in USA, round holes in center tube era that I’ll definitely use.

View attachment 218403
Those are really choked down ... would not use those. Guess WIX doesn't have any QA guys watching production at some of these facilities.

I had used Wix filters for over two decades. At the time the build quality was second to none. After M+H got their hands on Wix everything went downhill fast. I now hold a grudge on all M+H made filters and will not use them. I will say like others, that many brands are showing sloppy craftsmanship now. I inspect every filter I buy. Made in Vietnam and leak tested PG’s seem to have excellent craftsmanship. If you can find OG Ultra’s or Titanium’s stock up.

Last edited:
I prefer Hengst & Mahle, they seem consistent.
I have a couple Hengst I am going to try next. Wish they had silicon ADBV

I posted the base plate on a Mahle I bought that I was not in love with although I can't say there is anything really wrong with it. I just had a weird gasket failure on a Mahle air filter - so I am not sold on their stuff currently:

"Uncorrupted" ? ... meaning not misinformed I guess, lol. Yeah, Whip City Wrencher does a good job on filter cut and shows.

I have a couple Hengst I am going to try next. Wish they had silicon ADBV

I posted the base plate on a Mahle I bought that I was not in love with although I can't say there is anything really wrong with it. I just had a weird gasket failure on a Mahle air filter - so I am not sold on their stuff currently:

Once
"Uncorrupted" ? ... meaning not misinformed I guess, lol. Yeah, Whip City Wrencher does a good job on filter cut and shows.
As in he seems independent, unbiased, honest.

Back