WIX Filter Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Still you are saying that the filter bypass is significanlty smaller and more restrictive than the filter oil feed hole. Whether the pressure is normal or high makes no difference. All that matter is whether the bypass is smaller and flows less volume than the feed or not. Making the bypass smaller and more restrictive than the feed is improper because the bypass would be restrictive at all pressures during bypass mode.

The pressure being high or low certainly does make a difference. You need to understand that if you double the pump's output pressure you roughly double the flow rate out of a positive displacement oil pump. The flow volume is what causes the delta P across the element, and if the filter's bypass valve is overcome by massive flow increase it's not going to handle all the flow. The filter designers don't specify a filter bypass valve to handle an oil pump pressure regulator failure.

Plus, you throw in cold thick oil with no pump pressure regulation and you've really got some insane delta P across the element, and no way a puny filter bypass valve is going to handle that flow.

Most oil filter bypasses appear quite large and at least as big as the filter feed.

From memory (and I will measure and compare next time I cut open a filter), the bypass valve area looks less than the sum of the base holes and main feed hole.

And when high pressure even excessive pressure opens the bypass the bypass also flows at a higher rate too. My argument is the only restiriction allowing up to 300 psi is the engine not the filter bypass.

I'm talking about the oil feed on the filter mounting pad on the engine usually being no larger than the bypass in the filter. The base hole size doesn't matter in this debate only the size of the oil feed on the engine vs. the bypass size.

And when high pressure even excessive pressure opens the bypass the bypass also flows at a higher rate too.

The filter's bypass valve can only open so far ... once it's hit that point, it can't flow any more. So if the flow is excessive, the bypass will be over come and high delta P will built across the media.

My argument is the only restiriction allowing up to 300 psi is the engine not the filter bypass.

Again ... if the filter can't handle the huge excessive flow from the huge pump output when there is no pressure regulation, the filter media is going to see very high delta P across it. And that's what crushes the filter. The flow has to go through the filter before it hits the motor.
I'm talking about the oil feed on the filter mounting pad on the engine usually being no larger than the bypass in the filter. The base hole size doesn't matter in this debate only the size of the oil feed on the engine vs. the bypass size.

Sounds like what you're thinking/saying is the "oil feed on the filter mounting pad" is really the outlet of the filter ... not the filter "feed".

Just to be clear, oil enters the filter through all the holes in the base plate, then goes through the media into the center tube and then down and out the center hole in the base to the engine.

Therefore, if a filter's bypass valve was designed to flow as much as the filter's max design flow rate (which is way less than a run-away oil pump could do), it's cross sectional area better be at least as big as the smaller of either the filter inlet holes or the filter center outlet hole. I think if you do some measurements on bypass valve, you'll see it's probably the smallest area of them all.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Did anybody else catch in the second video where he says he paid 4X the amount for the WIX than the Fram?

Depending upon application, I can get Wix cheaper than Fram (i.e. the 51515 cheaper than the PH8A). I've never found a Fram application that is anywhere near 1/4 the price of an equivalent Wix. I think the Wix for my G is about $2 more than the Fram equivalent.

I'm saying, even ignoring the restriction of the engine after the filter, the oil pump can only pump as much volume as the cross-section area of the pick up tube and oil gallery to the filter pad can allow regardless of the oil filter inlet holes (in reality only a much as the engine will allow). This filter feed channel is probably typically less the 3/8", and most filter bypasses appear to have as much cross-sectional area. So the bypass can flow as much volume as the filter feed on the engine regardless of pressure and not be a restriction.

I dont know how you can twist that into me possibly confusing the oil filters inlet for the the filter outlet.

I'm saying, even ignoring the resitriction of the engine after the filter, the oil pump can only pump as much volume as the cross-section area of the pick up tube and oil gallery to the filter pad can allow regardless of the oil filter inlet holes (in reality only a much as the engine will allow).

The key words here are "positive displacement" oil pump. A tight PD oil pump will transfer whatever volume each revolution puts out regardless of the downstream restriction. In order to do that, the output pressure will go sky-high ... like hundreds of PSI. If you don't understand PD oil pumps, then you will not understand what happened in this failure.

This filter feed channel is probably typically less the 3/8", and most filter bypasses appear to have as much cross-sectional area. So the bypass can flow as much volume as the filter feed regardless of pressure and not be a restriction.

Do you know how much oil volume can be forced down a 3/8" dia line with a pressure of 200~300 PSI ... Lots! Way more than a typical oil filter could handle. Again ... it's the flow volume that creates the larger PSID across the filter element and destroys it if it can't take high levels of PSID.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Regardless of what happened, and I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt, it certainly wasn't the Wix's fault. Whatever happened to that filter would have done the same or worse to any other oil filter out there.

Yeah, that's the way I feel.

As for the youtube maker, he does use hyperbole in his commentary, eg., 4x the cost of Fram. Again though, I rather ignored some of his extraneous and meaningless commentary and focused more on the videos, the filter. and the results. And, the Fram video which I believe to be accurate as regards bypass regulator failure, does show that very high pressure is likely with a malfunction, resulting in castastrophic failure.

So, everyone can judge for themselves with as much information as has been provided and commented on.

I'm saying, even ignoring the resitriction of the engine after the filter, the oil pump can only pump as much volume as the cross-section area of the pick up tube and oil gallery to the filter pad can allow regardless of the oil filter inlet holes (in reality only a much as the engine will allow).

The key words here are "positive displacement" oil pump. A tight PD oil pump will transfer whatever volume each revolution puts out regardless of the downstream restriction. In order to do that, the output pressure will go sky-high ... like hundreds of PSI. If you don't understand PD oil pumps, then you will not understand what happened in this failure.

This filter feed channel is probably typically less the 3/8", and most filter bypasses appear to have as much cross-sectional area. So the bypass can flow as much volume as the filter feed regardless of pressure and not be a restriction.

Do you know how much oil volume can be forced down a 3/8" dia line with a pressure of 200~300 PSI ... Lots! Way more than a typical oil filter could handle. Again ... it's the flow volume that creates the larger PSID across the filter element and destroys it if it can't take high levels of PSID.

And if the bypass has the same cross-sectional area as the feed line then it can flow the same volume without restriction. I don't know what's so hard to grasp about that concept.

And if the bypass has the same cross-sectional area as the feed line then it can flow the same volume without restriction. I don't know what's so hard to grasp about that concept.

Oil filters are not designed to flow high GPMs of oil at 32 deg F. And also, oil filters are not designed to take the full volumetric flow output of a PD with no pressure regulation. Even if an oil pump pressure regulator failed when the oil was at 200 deg F, it could still cause the filter to collapse. Why do you think those TSBs exist about conditions that cause filter implosion? Sounds like you need to do some studying up on PD oil pumps and their volumetric output vs. pressure output characteristics.

What? 400psi fuel pressure at injectors? really? what car is that Top Fuel? just for that i know for sure this is [censored].Top Fuel cars putting 2500whp and up see this much fuel pressure.There is no way in [censored] his engine which is a 70's engine see that much fuel pressure and let alone handle it.In fact for top fuel cars handle this much fuel they use METAL nozzles which are custom machined for they specific application and they use a lot of them just check here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Fuel

Funny he is comparing a mediocre oil filter to a Wix.Sure WIX like any other product could come defective from factory but he is lying.Just check his other videos look at the [censored] engine a week before and another video he is checking the compression on another engine.

This a a decent drag/racing fuel pump specs:

Aeromotive A1000 Fuel Pump
Flows 700 lbs/hour @ 13.5 volts @ 45 psi(2 gallons per minute)
Fuel injected engines:
Up to 1300 HP for naturally aspirated
Up to 1000 HP for forced air induction
Carbureted engines:
Up to 1500 HP for naturally aspirated
Up to 1200 HP for forced air induction.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Maximus_pr
What? 400psi fuel pressure at injectors? really?

Yeah, I thought that was pretty insane. Maybe that engine is a diesel? ... could explain the high fuel pressure. Look at how black the oil is too.

Yeah, I thought that was pretty insane. Maybe that engine is a diesel? ... could explain the high fuel pressure. Look at how black the oil is too.

"highly modified BMW 2002tii motor"

as far as i know the US 2002tii engine is regular gas and most people who wants to make it faster uses more modern engines like the S52,S54,S60 engines from modern M models the best i have read in a modified tti engine was around 300whp with the help of a turbo and maybe 50-50psi fuel pressure.I used to had a 240sx witha SR20det japanese only engine and best dyno was close to 400whp and highest psi i ran was 65psi.

Oil filters are not designed to flow high GPMs of oil at 32 deg F. And also, oil filters are not designed to take the full volumetric flow output of a PD with no pressure regulation. Even if an oil pump pressure regulator failed when the oil was at 200 deg F, it could still cause the filter to collapse. Why do you think those TSBs exist about conditions that cause filter implosion? Sounds like you need to do some studying up on PD oil pumps and their volumetric output vs. pressure output characteristics.

And that's why oil filters have a bypass. Everyone would agree that filter elements can be restrictive in extreme situations. The debate is whether or not working bypasses are restrictive. All the filter council links emphasized that improperly working bypasses were the most likely reason for filter collapse.

"highly modified BMW 2002tii motor"

as far as i know the US 2002tii engine is regular gas and most people who wants to make it faster uses more modern engines like the S52,S54,S60 engines from modern M models the best i have read in a modified tti engine was around 300whp with the help of a turbo and maybe 50-50psi fuel pressure.I used to had a 240sx witha SR20det japanese only engine and best dyno was close to 400whp and highest psi i ran was 65psi.

It's just more reason to not believe this guy's filter story and give him any credibility. This guy is slinging bull.

And that's why oil filters have a bypass. Everyone would agree that filter elements can be restrictive in extreme situations. The debate is whether or not working bypasses are restrictive. All the filter council links emphasized that improperly working bypasses were the most likely reason for filter collapse.

You did read what Jim Allen's engineering contact said about base end bypass valves and how they fail more than one would think in the thread linked below ... no? Very well could be the WIX bypass valve failed. As the TSBs say, there are many thinks that can cause a filter to implode.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2651107#Post2651107

And I still say a filter's bypass valve can be somewhat restrictive if it's not designed well ... and it certainly can't handle flow rates that a filter would normally not see, like when an oil pump pressure regulator fails ... especially with thick, cold oil.

My whole premise all along is that a malfunctioning bypass would be the most likely reason for a crushed element. I just don't believe this guy actually had a filter failure as he claims.

Of course I read that thread, I commented in it. But what I read was the source said the problem was with "dome end valves on the market sticking open" and gunk at the bottom of the filter going through the bypass valve unfiltered. And that thread-end bypass cost more so most filters have a dome end valve. The WIX in question has a threaded bypass, does it not? Nothing really about how often bypasses malfunction and fail to open.

The debate is whether or not working bypasses are restrictive.

That's a very good question. I'm certainly not as up on the fluid dynamics of filters as some of the posters here are. In bypass mode, though, obviously a filter could allow a much greater flow (duh, or they wouldn't have a bypass in the first place - wouldn't be much use if it couldn't accomplish that). How much is the question. More precisely, can it handle the flow if an oil pump's relief fails?

Of course I read that thread, I commented in it. But what I read was the source said the problem was with "dome end valves on the market sticking open" and gunk at the bottom of the filter going through the bypass valve unfiltered.

Go re-read that thread beyond that point ... it was clarified that he was talking about base end bypass valves.

The WIX in question has a threaded bypass, does it not?

Yes it was.

Of course I read that thread, I commented in it. But what I read was the source said the problem was with "dome end valves on the market sticking open" and gunk at the bottom of the filter going through the bypass valve unfiltered.

Go re-read that thread beyond that point ... it was clarified that he was talking about base end bypass valves.

The WIX in question has a threaded bypass, does it not?

Yes it was.

OK fine not of dome end bypass but functional problems of thread end bypass sticking open . But sticking open does not necessarily mean failing to fully open. It suggests more a failure to seal. Perhaps he had Ecores combo bypasses in mind and not WIX or Motorcraft base-plate valves but I don't want to attribute meanings to the source. Just like you can't attribute the meaning to be thread end valves fail to open and cause element collapse.

Originally Posted By: Garak
The debate is whether or not working bypasses are restrictive.

That's a very good question. I'm certainly not as up on the fluid dynamics of filters as some of the posters here are. In bypass mode, though, obviously a filter could allow a much greater flow (duh, or they wouldn't have a bypass in the first place - wouldn't be much use if it couldn't accomplish that). How much is the question. More precisely, can it handle the flow if an oil pump's relief fails?

Exactly, that's all I'm saying besides that I don't believe any thing the guy in the videos is claiming.

Filter cans are made to withstand up to 300 psi, and the purpose of a bypass is to allow full flow to the engine during filter element restriction and also protect the element from psiD, so it would stand to reason that bypasses are designed to not be restrictive. I don't claim to be well versed in fluid dynamics, but unless a filter engineer states that bypasses are restrictive then I'm not going to just assume that they are.

Filter cans are made to withstand up to 300 psi, and the purpose of a bypass is to allow full flow to the engine during filter element restriction and also protect the element from psiD, ...

Not at 300 PSI and the insanely high flow rate that comes with that 300 PSI.

... so it would stand to reason that bypasses are designed to not be restrictive. I don't claim to be well versed in fluid dynamics, but unless a filter engineer states that bypasses are restrictive then I'm not going to just assume that they are.

Again ... it's about the much increased flow rate to the filter that comes along with the 300 PSI from the oil pump - and bypass valves are going to have a tough time coping with large abnormal flows, especially cold, thick oil (broken record going on now
grin.gif
). You don't seem to understand the physics going on when a PD oil pump output goes nuts because the pressure relief valve failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back